UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what is going on behind the curtain. ;)

Looks like concrete is being poured on the concourse level today. I assume once they pour the slab floor, all the metal framing for the bathrooms, concessions, etc. will go up pretty quickly. Then its rough plumbing, electric, hvac and media and from there finishing.

Again - uneducated construction ameteur (who has never learned to properly spell ameteur)

I have no clue what is being assembled by the ticket booth today.

1300.jpg

The plans show gates going there but no other structure that I could imagine being assmbled like that. They must be putting something together there that is going to be moved.

EDIT: It might be the end pillar for the gates. I would imagine they'd have to build that before they poured the concrete concourse so maybe that's why its going up now.

Edited by danefan

There's just some temporary scaffolding there, cinder blocks piled on the upper level, I can't tell what's underneath.

In other news, I spoke to Kevin Champagne, the pep band director, and he said plans are proceeding as if we will have a marching band next year, assuming we can get at least fifty or so volunteer musicians.

In other news, I spoke to Kevin Champagne, the pep band director, and he said plans are proceeding as if we will have a marching band next year, assuming we can get at least fifty or so volunteer musicians.

That's awesome news. I hope the athletic dept is helping push this initiative.

Edited by danefan

problem is UA doesn't have a music dept. If they did, this would be simple. It's tough when it's volunteer.

Sure we have a music dept. http://www.albany.edu/music/

How much support they give is a different story.

Course credit for band would be the biggest help, but not every music dept. thinks much of it. (My daughter was a vocal performance major, and she said something like marching band music is to Music what trashy chick romances are to Literature, Thomas Kinkaid paintings are to Art, or the Onion is to Journalism - they may be popular in some circles, but not really worth studying.)

Being familiar with UMASS - Amherst (for a certain specific reason), they have a nationally recognized 400 member "marching band" that has been in existance for many years. The "Minuteman Marching Band" tries to palce any and all participants that wish to be involved with the band. Many sections of the band require certain "skill sets" thus, auditions and an official "Band camp" has been established. Typically at these "Band Camps", the auditions and skill set activities are initiated to decide placement and "active / alternate" status.

At UMASS, with the size of their band, one must remember that there are many other needs that just the musicians and band leader; there are needs for sound technicians, band aides (no, not the ones Johnson and Johnson make), and a host of other needs. UMASS startes that with all the personnel involved with it's Marching band over 90% of all these members are NOT Music majiors, but come from other areas of the UMASS student community!

Allright, now...strike up "The Band" and lets go Coach "Abe" and Coach Brown!!

I have no clue what is being assembled by the ticket booth today.

The plans show gates going there but no other structure that I could imagine being assmbled like that. They must be putting something together there that is going to be moved.

EDIT: It might be the end pillar for the gates. I would imagine they'd have to build that before they poured the concrete concourse so maybe that's why its going up now.

Good guess, I can't imagine what else it might be.

I wonder what is going on behind the curtain. ;)

Not too much yet, but they're digging. Whatever concrete they poured last week can't be seen from where I was.fordfield031113001.jpg

Digging a trench from the sidewalk around past the ticket booth, looks like wiring conduit being installed (a closer look has the pipe labeled Rigido Electrico Conduito PVC)

fordfield031113006.jpg

and they were actually pumping concrete up onto the roof today

fordfield031113003.jpg

Edited by UAalum72

I know at Tennesee a tuba player can get a scholarship equal to an offensive tackle if he/she is willing to be a member of "The Pride of the Southland Band".

Although he/she will have to put to put in more practice time than the offensive tackle.

PS---I think the UA pep band is great and seems to be growing in size every year.

PS---I think the UA pep band is great and seems to be growing in size every year.

Seems like it's been pretty steady at about 25-30, fewer when school's on break, a few more when we're near the league finals.

I should have told Kevin they should add 'Purple Haze' to their repertoire, I loved it some years ago when that was the team's theme as they took the court; not sure how it would sound from a brass band. East Carolina uses it for their football team.

Seems like it's been pretty steady at about 25-30, fewer when school's on break, a few more when we're near the league finals.

I should have told Kevin they should add 'Purple Haze' to their repertoire, I loved it some years ago when that was the team's theme as they took the court; not sure how it would sound from a brass band. East Carolina uses it for their football team.

for the volleyball team in the mid to late 80's it was Prince's "Purple Rain"

I know at Tennesee a tuba player can get a scholarship equal to an offensive tackle if he/she is willing to be a member of "The Pride of the Southland Band".

Although he/she will have to put to put in more practice time than the offensive tackle.

I've also been impressed with the increase in the size, composition and playing of the pep band. They've never been better!