UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Quick question. I can't find this in the design plans posted earlier in the year but how wide is the actual structure? This thing looks incredibly narrow. Is this building 10 feet wide or something? I understand there is a bump out sitting area near the luxury boxes (the upper level) but even the bump out is minor. I can't understand the dimensions here. Any insights?

fordfield12092012001.jpg

I'd guess the structure is maybe 15 feet deep. The roof extends past the steel, so maybe the floor could be cantilevered out a couple of feet past the steel.

The 'bumpout' (the nearest section in this picture, probably behind the press box) looks strange, it's about five feet deep on the north end and narrows to not over two feet on the south end.

The main press level enclosure is approx. 21'-4" deep from front to back with the lounge area protruding an additional 9'-3" at its farthest point.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bump out is a cantilevered lounge area with windows that face towards the RACC. Pretty cool architectural detail and I think the long will be nice. Flat screen TVs, comfy seats etc. Of course I'll probably never see it!

This is the schematic looking down onto that level.

b_065410.jpg

You can see the bump out here

athleticfieldsrepair05-lg.png

Edited by danefan

At 15 feet deep then the concessions, stadium store and other interior space on the first floor must just be for the staff? Based on my experiences at other presumably larger stadiums, I assumed the stadium fans would be inside those spaces but the space is so narrow. It must be that you stand outside and place your order to the worker standing inside via a window. Until now I didn't realize how narrow and thus how small the interior spaces must be. Was it that much more to add another 10 feet in width?

The other thing I questioned is whether fans would stay dry while ordering food, purchasing gifts etc. If the fans are indeed outside and placing an order via a window they may get drenched waiting in line. The center back wall is open to the elements and I'm not sure if the second tier of the stands over head is completely closed but I would think rain could come in via the large center wall opening and from the stands above. If that is the case, they should consider sealing those off so there is somewhere dry to stand in the event of a down pour.

Maybe that's just the dad in me but I like a covered area in the event of a down pour.

You definitely stand in the concourse and place your order through the windows. Thats consisten with most other stadiums I've seen designed this way.

Hard to see in this picture, but the schematic overhead view of the concourse level shows the the concourse is covered by the upper deck seating. I imagine the upper deck seating needs to be fully enclosed for safety reasons. Water tight is another story.

b_065412.jpg

Edited by danefan

So, now with the snow on the ground, what's up with construction going forward

At 9:30 and 10:30 this morning there were guys in a bucket up in the air behind the grandstand.

Can't do any more on the field until the snow clears, but steelwork and siding could continue, weather and safety permitting. Probably have to enclose the building before doing any interior work.

The use of the plastic sheating is to provide a temporary wind / rain / snow block for construction purposes.

I want you to imagine that your a big time construction / building tradesperson. You're getting up at 5:00AM and driving into the UAlbany construction site at 6:30 AM where you sit in your companies construction trailer swapping hunting tales or talking about your previous nights escapades with your fellow workers until the 7:00 AM start time. Then, you hustle over in the dark, windy, 0 degF "day" to start your work...whether you're a pipefitter, plumber, mason, rigger, "prima donna" electrician, insulator, or any other building / commercial tradesperson (remember, project managers, project supervisors, city / state officials, ANYTHING or ANYONE involved with the term "engineering" will not be onsite until at least 10:00 AM and/or the ambient temperature reaches 40 degF).

Now, say your job takes you to the first level from the top of that structure and that you're going to be there all day except for your 25 minute coffee break (yeah, I know... coffee break is supposed to be15 minutes; ask anyone in the trades and they will tell you that in winter.... the coffee break is a 25 minute MINIMUM), lunch (unpaid) for half an hour, and that's it till 3:30 PM when you come back down. That's an 8 hour workday where your located one level from the very top of that structure where you're happily working... sounds like fun, eh?!

Now, imagine having a great workday like that,; where you're enjoying all the fun of the 25 MPH wind, the 0 degF temperature, the fact that 2 other tradespeople want to work EXACTLY where you need to be, the fact that your boss just came up for the sixth time today uttering the phrase "done yet" to you, the fact that the electric breaker that your using for your tools just popped the "temporary" breaker for the fifth time of the day and that breaker is located down on the ground floor (we all LOVE climing up and down the stairs)... how long would it take YOU to imagine that if temporary plastic sheating was put around the structure, it would make your working life a HECK of a lot more... enjoyable.

Just wanted to make the TRUTH as humorous as I could!