UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Boston U to the Patriot League....for real

danefan

According to the America East forum thread on this, "According to Ted Ryan of the Burlington Free Press and Bob Corran UVM Athletic Director "Corran said BU will be required to pay a $250,000 exit fee and will be ineligible for America East for the 2012-13 sports seasons.""

A discussion ensued on the forum about why BU should pay if they weren't eligible, and what America East could do if they refused, other than sue.

Northeastern did stay eligible for the final season after they announced they were leaving, but that was then.

Danefan, I am probably still way off base, but I simply I am NOT impressed with the academics in the Patriot. Maybe they have a lot of money and endowments, but other than the militaries and MIT (for rowing) and Georgetown (associate member), I'll keep my UA degrees over most of the other schools in the pat. I still do not see this league helping BU in any way????? The other way around for sure.

Second question--what does BU leaving do to championships in 2012 and how about compensation to the americaeast? Most leagues do not let lame duck teams compete for league champs and buyouts are usually huge (depending on the league I guess). All expert and non-expert opinions welcomed on all of the above????????

The fact that BU ditched this conference for a lateral move (all-sports) is a stinging indictment of the AE. If SBU leaves...drop the AE to the lowest of low conferences, a conference that will instantly lose a number of auto-bids. Where is Nero to save us? The current commissioner we know can use twitter, what else can she do?

Twitter has been taking some abuse here latetly.

Latest rumor is Elon, Charleston, Davidson, Furman and Stony Brook to the CAA. Of course, I read that on twitter.

Twitter destroyed the SoCon and AEast in one tweet!

• 2 weeks later...

what is this guy (unrankedae) crying about. it is pretty standard procedure to not allow lame-ducks to be tournament eligible. also he says blame/punish admin not the players---- well DUH.

I don't remember it being standard procedure in the past. When Northeastern left for the CAA they weren't banned from the postseason. I guess the difference between Northeastern leaving and BU leaving is BU would actually win alot if they weren't banned.

To me this is almost like hassling a recruit who wants to transfer from your school. It might feel rightous to do it but it might hamper anyone new thinking about joining.

• 2 weeks later...

On blogs, still a lot of gripping about AE banning BU from championships. I still say more power to AE for doing so. Maybe the league finally has some "backbone". I feel bad for the BU players, but NOT taking a stand would have shown weakness. If the league wants to survive (and I am not sure if they can), they need to be more pro-active and aggressive. Like some have said, maybe now is the perfect time for AE football. Even without football, the league can go forward with some focus and aggressiveness. I said when BU jumped to the Patriot it was a step backwards for BU and I still believe it; and this AE ban may be a small step in the right direction for the league.

• 2 weeks later...

Props to commissioner Huchthausen. [see Singelais blog (good job to Mark also)]. She instructed BU to explain to their students and athletes why they were championship ineligible. The rule in place since 2005 was approved unanimously by all nine america east members including BU. Ms. Huchthausen in replying to petitions from BU athletes and students requested BU to inform these petitioners that they (BU) were and are well aware of the the rule and its consequences and to instruct it athletes accordingly. She continues it is NOT the America East's responsibility to provide an excuse for BU's decision to leave the conference. "It’s not the duty of the remaining schools to relieve an institution’s responsibility for its decision.” I THINK I AM GOING TO LIKE THE NEW COMMISH.

Edited by dslyank

Props to commissioner Huchthausen. [see Singelais blog (good job to Mark also)]. She instructed BU to explain to their students and athletes why they were championship ineligible. The rule in place since 2005 was approved unanimously by all nine america east members including BU. Ms. Huchthausen in replying to petitions from BU athletes and students requested BU to inform these petitioners that they (BU) were and are well aware of the the rule and its consequences and to instruct it athletes accordingly. She continues it is NOT the America East's responsibility to provide an excuse for BU's decision to leave the conference. "It’s not the duty of the remaining schools to relieve an institution’s responsibility for its decision.” I THINK I AM GOING TO LIKE THE NEW COMMISH.

Yeah...that was a succinct and strong statement putting it back on BU. Well done by the commish!