UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nanocollege to split from UAlbany ?

purplenorange

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh...additional comment...President Jones wrote a letter of "support" but in it he laid out basically what he wants out of this...including significant bump in state aid, additional land to grow UA (I'm assumin Herriman campus), there were some others I don't remember.

Board Chairman mentioned that he didn't know how many of Pres. Jones items could be met...

Funny how quickly a statement was issued...what a sham!

Edited by Clickclack

UpdateX2: Here’s a statement from six Capital Region lawmakers: Assembly members Patricia Fahy, Phil Steck, John McDonald and senators Cecilia Tkaczyk, Hugh Farley and Neil Breslin:

“Today is a historic day for the Capital Region and New York State as two of our most vital institutions, University at Albany and the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering, begin to build a new partnership that promises expanded academic opportunities for students, attracting new research funding for both institutions, greater economic impact and prosperity, and a renewed vibrancy in the communities we all serve.

We commend and support the Board of Trustees and Chancellor Zimpher for taking today’s bold action to fully realize the potential of both UAlbany and CNSE as two distinct but interconnected components of our world-class SUNY system.

We look forward to continuing our strong working relationship with both CNSE and UAlbany to maximize the potential of both institutions as this new chapter begins. We also want to acknowledge Dr. Robert Jones who in his short time as President has demonstrated his community-minded approach and his vision for UAlbany, Dr. Alain Kaloyeros who has helped transform our region into a global center of nanotechnology research and innovation and H. Carl McCall, Chairman of the SUNY Board of Trustees.”

More bull-ish....how does this help UA fully realize their potential? These people literally think the public is stupid as a doorknob.

In other words, the bond between the two entities has just been ripped apart. Cow***t served on a silver platter & sprinkled with cinnamon is still cow***t. You're right clack, more bull-ish. Let's hope the new prez has some ballies and fights for some of these things.

Edited by uofalbany

It is simple. CNSE has partnered with the world leaders to conduct nano technology research. The corporations involved could not function with the cumbersome decision making process which is commonplace at UA. How long did it take UA to find a new president? Two years? If a corporate leader resigns his replacement is announced within days or even hours. CNSE was able to get the new roadwork surrounding its campus completed within months. If UA were to propose something as simple and necessary as this the process would take years. There are many other examples one could cite.

It is simple. CNSE has partnered with the world leaders to conduct nano technology research. The corporations involved could not function with the cumbersome decision making process which is commonplace at UA. How long did it take UA to find a new president? Two years? If a corporate leader resigns his replacement is announced within days or even hours. CNSE was able to get the new roadwork surrounding its campus completed within months. If UA were to propose something as simple and necessary as this the process would take years. There are many other examples one could cite.

So it's OK to basically turn this entity over to corporate interests? What it being advocated by the looks of it is to remove all SUNY oversight. While I understand why such flexibility is important to CNSE and their corporate interests...then this no longer should be considered a degree granting institution but rather a business consortium...

Edited by Clickclack

Lets wait and see what this Memo of Understanding brings.

In my ind though, its time to focus on expanding UAlbany's footprint into Harriman campus and absorbing Abany Law and Albany Med.

What would a road-map to that end look like? Those would certainly be great consolation prizes I just don't see a way to get there. Why would either want to subjugate themselves to UA?

Edited by Clickclack

Lets wait and see what this Memo of Understanding brings.

In my ind though, its time to focus on expanding UAlbany's footprint into Harriman campus and absorbing Abany Law and Albany Med.

What would a rode-map to that end look like? Those would certainly be great consolation prizes I just don't see a way to get there. Why would either want to subjugate themselves to UA?

Depends on what is offered to them. Everyone has a price.

Does anyone in their right mind think that SBU or BU would let something similar happen to them? In the meantime our local politicians are all on-board...I guess you can't physically pack up NANO and move it or Keylorose probably would...except they don't make a U-Haul big enough for this guys ego.

Edited by Clickclack

The response I've been getting to my one man e-mail campaign from several politicians has been basically...they continue to divert funds from UA. When we (local politicians) ask for increase in state aid for critical maintenance of facilities etc. they point to look how much we gave NANO...no more for the CD.

The response I've been getting to my one man e-mail campaign from several politicians has been basically...they continue to divert funds from UA. When we (local politicians) ask for increase in state aid for critical maintenance of facilities etc. they point to look how much we gave NANO...no more for the CD.

Um, yeah...exactly.

I've joined you in the emails and phone call complaints to the local politicians. Seems to me the more we complain, the better UAlbany will be treated in the divorce.

I've joined you in the emails and phone call complaints to the local politicians. Seems to me the more we complain, the better UAlbany will be treated in the divorce.

I would encourage others to share their disappointment especially with suny board members... They are the folks that decide what we get if anything.

It won't change the outcomes me but its a no lose proposition... May help...

Staller may been the strongest voice for anti-split (amazing since he's an SBU [oops trustee] too) but the last paragraph has him slamming the situation brought about through President Jones' letter (then again, he's an SBU trustee):

http://online.wsj.co...cleTabs=article

Trustee Cary Staller noted the internal SUNY report used to support the separation contained errors, including overstating the college board scores of students at the nanoscience center and understating the scores of students at Stanford University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other top schools.

Stanford and MIT "have spun off a lot more economic activity," contrary to the comparison in the report, Staller said.

He also said the compensation sought by the University at Albany president in a private letter provided to trustees Monday night "is really quite damning" and could require using resources intended for other campuses

Edited by UBBulls