UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nanocollege to split from UAlbany ?

purplenorange

Staller may been the strongest voice for anti-split (amazing since he's an SBU [oops trustee] too) but the last paragraph has him slamming the situation brought about through President Jones' letter (then again, he's an SBU trustee):

http://online.wsj.co...cleTabs=article

Trustee Cary Staller noted the internal SUNY report used to support the separation contained errors, including overstating the college board scores of students at the nanoscience center and understating the scores of students at Stanford University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other top schools.

Stanford and MIT "have spun off a lot more economic activity," contrary to the comparison in the report, Staller said.

He also said the compensation sought by the University at Albany president in a private letter provided to trustees Monday night "is really quite damning" and could require using resources intended for other campuses

Exactly why Dr Jones should be doing. SBU and UB pols have been taking food from UA's mouth in the name of "Nano Funding" for years.

Edited by danefan

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone in the know want to explain what the below request means? How much land are we talking? How much money are we talking?

UAlbany President Robert Jones wrote to McCall and Zimpher saying he is pleased with the "bold new partnership" with CNSE that will result from the break. He also made several requests, including a recurring fund to invest in the campus, funding to offer a broad spectrum of academic programs, a new formula of funding from the Research Foundation of SUNY, and replacing land lost when CNSE becomes its own campus.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/CNSE-to-spin-off-on-its-own-4668454.php

BTW, over the last 10 hours or so...hearing back from numerous politicians and even some who were in the room today. I've come away completely impressed with Pres. Jones...he KNOWS how to play this game. I have more confidence then ever that we are in good hands...this man is no slouch and will extract all he can out of this $ienaty situation to benefit UA.

Does anyone in the know want to explain what the below request means? How much land are we talking? How much money are we talking?

UAlbany President Robert Jones wrote to McCall and Zimpher saying he is pleased with the "bold new partnership" with CNSE that will result from the break. He also made several requests, including a recurring fund to invest in the campus, funding to offer a broad spectrum of academic programs, a new formula of funding from the Research Foundation of SUNY, and replacing land lost when CNSE becomes its own campus.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/CNSE-to-spin-off-on-its-own-4668454.php

The land could be a lot. CNSE has a lot of land.

I don't know about the rest though, although it sounds a lot like alimony to me. Which is exactly what we should get considering without UA, Nano doesn't exist.

Does anyone in their right mind think that SBU or BU would let something similar happen to them? In the meantime our local politicians are all on-board...I guess you can't physically pack up NANO and move it or Keylorose probably would...except they don't make a U-Haul big enough for this guys ego.

Yes they would because this is a Cuomo thing. Anyone who thinks it's not is kidding themselves. And people think Spitzer was a steamroller.

Does anyone in their right mind think that SBU or BU would let something similar happen to them? In the meantime our local politicians are all on-board...I guess you can't physically pack up NANO and move it or Keylorose probably would...except they don't make a U-Haul big enough for this guys ego.

Yes they would because this is a Cuomo thing. Anyone who thinks it's not is kidding themselves. And people think Spitzer was a steamroller.

Bingo

I found it interesting that several of the trustees expressed concern that due to the powerful corporate interests they feared that the board will lose control over CNSE...first a divorce from UA...will there be a divorce from SUNY down the road? Apparently NANO is seeking more autonomy and power then any other president in the SUNY system.

Edited by Clickclack

BTW, over the last 10 hours or so...hearing back from numerous politicians and even some who were in the room today. I've come away completely impressed with Pres. Jones...he KNOWS how to play this game. I have more confidence then ever that we are in good hands...this man is no slouch and will extract all he can out of this $ienaty situation to benefit UA.

I hope you are right and I hope UA's divorce settlement is HUGE !!!!!!

Can anyone blame CNSE though? Take off our collective purple and gold glasses and look at what they've done.

They hated everything about SUNY that we hate and they built up enough power and allies (Cuomo) to overcome the disadvantages inhereint in the SUNY system. It may be only a matter of time before they create some sort of pararell system to SUNY.

SUNY itself better wake up though. This silo'ed, redundant administrative system in place is outdated and needs to be changed.

Make it 5 university centers (Albany, Bing, SBU, UB and CNSE) with every other campus a sattelite campus of each of those based on geography. One president and board of trustees per region.

Legislature should appropriate funding to the regional level and the the regional administration should handle their own budget from there on down.

Albany --> Northern NY State University

Bing --> Central NY State University

Buffalo --> Western NY State University

SBU --> Southern NY State University

Nano --> New York State Tech

Done.

Can anyone blame CNSE though? Take off our collective purple and gold glasses and look at what they've done.

They hated everything about SUNY that we hate and they built up enough power and allies (Cuomo) to overcome the disadvantages inhereint in the SUNY system. It may be only a matter of time before they create some sort of pararell system to SUNY.

SUNY itself better wake up though. This silo'ed, redundant administrative system in place is outdated and needs to be changed.

Make it 5 university centers (Albany, Bing, SBU, UB and CNSE) with every other campus a sattelite campus of each of those based on geography. One president and board of trustees per region.

Legislature should appropriate funding to the regional level and the the regional administration should handle their own budget from there on down.

Done.

All good and well until they decide they don't need one in Northern NYS as NANO is here...who needs 5 when you can have four?

Perhaps the benefits of this will be more apparent down the road and with time we recover but our research output is going to take a massive hit even if for the most part it was already separate. There is zero chance at any AAU invite moving forward for a very long time. Highly unlikely that we'll ever be in a position to incubate something similar...

Done.

All good and well until they decide they don't need one in Northern NYS as NANO is here...who needs 5 when you can have four?

Perhaps the benefits of this will be more apparent down the road and with time we recover but our research output is going to take a massive hit even if for the most part it was already separate. There is zero chance at any AAU invite moving forward for a very long time. Highly unlikely that we'll ever be in a position to incubate something similar...

I don't think its even conceivable to fold up UAlbany.

I also think that CNSE will be a statewide institution headquartered in Albany within the next 5 years. I can almost guarantee you will see it scoop up any similar programs at any other SUNY schools into its separate administration and build buildings in Buffalo, Long Island, Syracuse, Binghamton, etc....

Cuomo will make sure of it.

Done.

I don't think its even conceivable to fold up UAlbany.

I also think that CNSE will be a statewide institution headquartered in Albany within the next 5 years. I can almost guarantee you will see it scoop up any similar programs at any other SUNY schools into its separate administration and build buildings in Buffalo, Long Island, Syracuse, Binghamton, etc....

Cuomo will make sure of it.

I never said fold up UA but if you have a flagship in NANO across the street, do you need another at UA? This certainly decreases our prominence...should the "flagship" debate come up again, well I don't like how that will probably go...especially with such a powerful entity across the street that holds the ear of the Governor.

Right now I'm not sure what distinguishes as presently constituted from the run of the mil SUNY campus. SBU and UB have medical schools, engineering schools etc....what exactly are we left with now that NANO has been stripped? If there was ever a time to pick up the phone and call Albany Med or Albany Law...now would probably be a good time.

Edited by Clickclack