UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nanocollege to split from UAlbany ?

purplenorange

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It now becomes clear. Mr. Cuomo has his eyes on the White House. The price tag to win that brass ring is reported to be 1 billion dollars. You cannot raise that kind of money without the support of a bunch of multi-millionaires and billionaires. These guys want their own university so Mr. Cuomo delivers. Guess what he gets in return?

For what it's worth, I'm not sure giving the "Nano" people their own university is a bad idea. The question is whether UA's leadership is politically savvy enough to negotiate big benefits for the university. A close affiliation with Nano and a bunch of money isn't a bad deal.

Nano U will have a governing board of some type. UA's President should be a permanent voting member. A couple of dozen fully funded endowed professorships would add to universities national stature. And, Nono Tech Stadium, a 25000 seat facility has a nice ring to it. Those tiny little particles can sometimes be big.

• 4 weeks later...

"Kaloyeros has been running the NanoCollege without always clearing things with campus and SUNY leaders; he approached Zimpher about the idea of a different structure for the college, according to the official."

Basically he's an ego-maniac...just doing his own thing reporting to no-one! Who is supervising him, watching him? Disgusting....If this split happens as I think we all suspect it will, I hope President Jones has a plan to bring into the fold if at all possible the Law School and continue to build a relationship with Albany Med...

Edited by Clickclack

Well, you have to give the dude credit...he has built a world-class institution from basically nothing. I think he does deserve a high degree of autonomy, but I don't really understand the need to break off from the main university. Isn't there some middle-ground here? Why would Kaloyeros want to add additional levels of bureaucracy that could get in the way of his main mission?

This is how the CNSE Kaloyeros issue should be fixed.

They should make Kaloyeros the President and CEO of Albany Nano Tech (Fuller Road Management). He would be responsible for all the private partnerships, private researchers, future growth and direction of CNSE. As the CEO he would no longer be a SUNY employee so his salary would be private and he could make a lot more. In exchange for this gift, the academics remain as part of UAlbany. UAlbany is basically just responsible for the couple of hundred students.. That's it. Win-win. Kaloyeros gets a fancy new title and king over most aspects of the Nano College, he makes more money and UAlbany keeps the academics.

They should make Kaloyeros the President and CEO of Albany Nano Tech (Fuller Road Management). He would be responsible for all the private partnerships, private researchers, future growth and direction of CNSE. As the CEO he would no longer be a SUNY employee so his salary would be private and he could make a lot more. In exchange for this gift, the academics remain as part of UAlbany. UAlbany is basically just responsible for the couple of hundred students.. That's it. Win-win. Kaloyeros gets a fancy new title and king over most aspects of the Nano College, he makes more money and UAlbany keeps the academics.

Sure, I don't know how he survives on his 800Gs now.

Sure, I don't know how he survives on his 800Gs now.

I'm fairly certain I saw him rolling around in a red Ferrari not to long ago...in the immortal words of Patrick Ewing..'Sure I make a lot of money, but I spend a lot too.'

Edited by Clickclack