UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Watching this live, the offense actually showed some life, getting over 300 yards. But a startling contrast how ODU can run a play about seven seconds after the refs set the ball down, while we line up, look it over, check with the bench and then hurry to beat the clock. Fiacchi again failed to run when no one was open and he seemed to have room, but did run one or two other times with poor results.

2. The defense didn't come close to pressuring the QB (except for a roughing the passer I didn't see), nor was the secondary within five yards of any receiver (except for one pass interference). And still too many missed tackles.

3. Both blocked kicks, punt and FG, were by a defender coming thru the right side of Albany's line. Either both kickers are too slow, or there's a problem with the blocking scheme/execution. But then, during halftime warmups, Riordan hit the upright twice from 30 yards (among many kicks).

Did Omar get hurt? I didn't notice him in the second half. Spelman at wildcat also didn't show much, but the opposition might be responsible for that.

Offense, defense, coaching, execution, doesn't matter...we just aren't good. We would be barely .500 in the NEC right now.

As Bart Scott would say, against real offenses, "we can't stop a nose bleed".

Homecoming? As Bart Scott would also say, "CAN'T WAIT!"

It happens.

In 2010 we lost to Stephen F Austin 59-14. They'd just throw the ball 50 yards and let the receiver outjump the DB. Lost to Duquesne and CCSU that year too.

In 2009 we lost to UMass 44-7.

In 2005 we lost to UMass 40-0 and gave up THREE safeties (last-minute injury to long snapper). That was discouraging.

Those were all against teams supposedly at our level. Today against a transitioning team at least there weren't any really long plays. They were just quick enough to make the initial play and force us to react. Most of our CAA recruits haven't played yet. Things should get better, just maybe not much this year yet.

It will take some time. A lot of overlooked, but talented, players will jump at the chance to compete at this level. The Danes need to get a full complement of scholarships and a full size stadium and good things will happen. It would be nice to get one upset victory this year. Maybe Towsen?

I have no problem with losing to better teams...but losing by THIS much is just sad. I know we will 'suck' for a year or two until we get our CAA-level athletes in...but to be blown out by the end of the first quarter? Come on, mannnn.

This was our first FBS team and a future Conference USA team at that. Better than many MAC schools.

The point is you have to start somewhere. Buffalo got blasted for years before they had any wins. They beat UConn yesterday.

I'm fine with losing for now as we don't really have hardly any CAA level recruits on the field right now and those that are out there are EXTREMELY young...While we continue to build up I'll enjoy going to the stadium and enjoy playing much MUCH better competition.

This coaching hire is the most critical in the history of UA sports...I really feel that way...hire a dunce and we'll be screwed for a half decade plus. McElroy simply MUST hit big on this hire. He's been good hiring so I think we'll be OK.

Edited by Clickclack

If we played RPI or Union would we beat them the way ODU beat us? Off topic and might be a dumb question, but in our D-III days, did we play Union or RPI? Didn't Siena used to have a football team?

We did used to play RPI and Union and Siena when they fielded a team.

The gap between us and a lower level DIII like RPI or Union is wayyyyyy bigger than the gap between us and ODU. ODU won't even be the best team we play this year.

JMU, Delaware, Towson, Maine and Richmond are all stronger teams.

I have no problem with losing to better teams...but losing by THIS much is just sad. I know we will 'suck' for a year or two until we get our CAA-level athletes in...but to be blown out by the end of the first quarter? Come on, mannnn.

When a team plays at ODU's tempo, the talent difference is magnified and the points add up in a hurry.

If we played RPI or Union would we beat them the way ODU beat us? Off topic and might be a dumb question, but in our D-III days, did we play Union or RPI? Didn't Siena used to have a football team?

We were 4-9 against Union, but the last game was a 54-0 win in 1997 (we were D-II by then), and we were 7-1 vs. RPI

And in the really good old days, we beat Siena's club team 25-24, 31-20 and 36-21, and our first varsity team beat their club 71-8. We never played Siena's varsity team, which had an all-time record of 33-117 in sixteen years.

My concern is that anti athletics critics seize on growing pains and try to scuttle our program. Look at all the UMass critics. I didn't think much of their issue but I've become a cheerleader for them. Their faculty and many other critics have tried to sink them on the first sign of weakness. Could happen here?