UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: vs. Quinnipiac (Sat Nov 16th)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few randomly thoughts while we drive back to Albany. Tough game to start off well and get beat by 10. DJ didn't play much of the second half, Peter played the point mostly. Puk had a wrap on his hand, was shaking it the first half, but then didn't seem to bother him much the second. Anders didn't play at all...think he may have had a heating pad on his shoulder (?). We only shot 4 threes and made none. As expected Quinnipiac were rebounding hounds. ESPN had them out rebounding us 40-28 but that doesn't include team rebounds. They took 71 shots was crazy. David played a lot.. missed a few right under the basket which was frustrating but he is def better than last year. Sam had a great game and it would have been better if the refs didn't call two travels on him. He was getting hammered and barely any whistles blown in the paint. They were good, as expected.

I noticed the same thing about Anders, which stinks cause we need his three ball. I think Brown didn't want them shooting from the outside as much and wanted to pound it inside. There were a few times Hooley and DJ had open shots and didn't take them. Also during a few timeouts that is all Brown talked about, pounding it inside.

I really thought it was a poorly officiated game also. they were very inconsistent. There were a few times that Puk, Rowley and Weiggman got hammered down low with no calls and then a bunch of touch fouls called. The first travel on Rowley was legit, the other one there was no way he moved his pivot foot.

One question, where is the rest of the team? Puk, Hooley and Rowley played 30+ mins each. Shengalia played 4 mins. Odunsi played 9. I really thought we would see more players get in the game but there are several guys who have 0 mins for the season. I'm surprised.

Edited by DanesRGood

Hmm DP are images disabled? I tried post two and only the URL posts with IMG around it. But the preview shows the image.

quin.jpg

I did tighten the settings to avoid a live streaming situation. Apparently they're a bit too tight and I'll change them again.

Good experience... Q Is tough on the boards. I thought we played well in most areas other then on the boards. Can't get out rebounded that bad and win.

We don't have one or two guys hat can pull down 10...need to do it by committee...

In the TU this morning the story was about about how our guards generally rebound well. They didn't yesterday and it's something that hopefully will improve.

Overall I think right now we are who we thought we would be, a good front court team with an unsettled backcourt. Rowley, Puk, GJ and Wiegmann all played well against a very good Q front court. If we can get some of games from Puk with 12 pts and 6 boards every now and then we'll be in good shape.

I watched the first half on you tube, before heading over to football. Seemed UA getting called for touch fouls and quinn NOT getting called for hammer fouls. I know home town officiating applies. After three games it seems to me, UA is doing a respectable job of trying to avoid fouls [even to the point of not playing as aggressive defensively as they are capable] and trying to pound in side to draw fouls. But the officiating seems inconsistent and unsure. This is going to make playing/coaching/game planning a real challenge this year and the ncaa better do something quick or risk hurting a very popular sport.

A major problem in this game was officiating both coaches were pretty much in agreement:

“The officials let us play,” Brown said. “I think that favored them. That game was not based on the new rules, in my opinion. Not only were they bigger and stronger than us, they were more athletic”

Tom Moore, the Quinnipiac, coach, agreed with Brown on that one.

“The refs called in pretty loose, which is in our favor,” Moore said. “This will be one of the games with the fewest called fouls in the country today I would think. But I thought the refs were incredibly consistent in allowing both teams to play inside.”

Edited by Patch

A major problem in this game was officiating both coaches were pretty much in agreement:

“The officials let us play,” Brown said. “I think that favored them. That game was not based on the new rules, in my opinion. Not only were they bigger and stronger than us, they were more athletic”

Tom Moore, the Quinnipiac, coach, agreed with Brown on that one.

“The refs called in pretty loose, which is in our favor,” Moore said. “This will be one of the games with the fewest called fouls in the country today I would think. But I thought the refs were incredibly consistent in allowing both teams to play inside.”

So Patch, how does coach prepare the team for a game, not knowing how (new rules or old) it is going to be officiated? Or does he say officiating is what it is no matter what and react accordingly?? Seems like a pretty difficult way to respond. I am not complaining about UA, but about the ncca letting this happen? Also, as I said before, I think the teams is doing an outstanding job of competing within the new parameters. But if the officials are not going to follow the new rules, I think this team is capable of more intense and physical play especially defensively, where it seems we have been working hard not to foul and have given up more points than we could have?

It's crazy - the new points of emphasis are tough but it is really tough if you prepare for them and then the referees don't do their job.

But it realy hasn't affected the Danes that much in my opinion. The Danes went to the FTline 56 times in the 1st 2 games (36 vs $iena and 20 vs NJIT who played over 35 minutes of zone) and then only 12 times against a very physicall Q team that played aggressive man to man. "It is what it is!!!

With that said we would have been fine against "Q" but you can't have Hooley and Johnson play 60 minutes and combine for 3 rebounds and DJ and Peter combined to shoot 4 for 16, remember we were only down 3 with 3:20 remaining - while we were down 3 with the ball Hooley missed a drive to the hoop which could have got us closer.

From my view point I thought we lost to a solid team on the road when our perimeter players struggled. I expect DJ and Peter both to be solid contributors and we need them to be.