UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

If someone wants to block this, arguments like "it's not fair to me" and "we don't need another (public) law school" will not work. Albany Law School is not viable "as is". As someone already pointed out, a merger like this will reduce the number of law schools by basically scrapping Binghamton's future one, so it doesn't add another law school to New York. No way will NYS support three public law schools.

There has also been the issue of whether Albany Law School is *viable* without some drastic change. An alternative of status quo ante will not fly when first year enrollments are down 34%.

And a merger alone is not enough -- however, a merger combined with an aggressive 6-year BA/JD and 4 year JD/MPA JD/MPP will be great. The combined programs with Rockefeller will attract fantastic talent to the law school and beef up its academic credentials (this is, after all, a top-10 public policy school), as well as enrollment numbers. Graduates of the program will have no problem finding good work in Washington or state-level governments, which will bolster the Law School's job placement rates. I'm sure they'll also push JD/MBA but the uptake on that isn't as clear to me.

It's really a no-brainer, and will be cheaper than NY building a new law school and will assure the future of Albany Law School.

I have not seen anyone suggest and alternate plan for Albany Law School that doesn't result in insolvency, and the state "owes" UAlbany for playing nice with the Nano split. This will happen, and my guess is it will happen quickly.

+100

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UAlbany approached Albany Law. Albany Law has just unveiled a new strategic plan that includes alliances with UAlbany, RPI, Siena, St. Rose. What was previously unknown was that Albany Law has been approached by another university.

In advance of tonight's meeting at Albany Law I have been in touch with a number of recent Albany Law graduates. They are almost unanimously opposed to any merger. They will not accept the fact they they are stuck with $55,000+ annual tuition payments and students just a few years younger will get $15,000 tuition.

Frankly, you're ridiculous. And, for the record, I carry a six-figure law school debt.

Thankfully, you (and the recent graduates) do not make the decisions that matter.

Edited by Dane96

In advance of tonight's meeting at Albany Law I have been in touch with a number of recent Albany Law graduates. They are almost unanimously opposed to any merger. They will not accept the fact they they are stuck with $55,000+ annual tuition payments and students just a few years younger will get $15,000 tuition.

Haha. That's quite frankly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Nothing is going to change the debt that Albany Law grads KNOWINGLY took on. Nothing.

"So screw everyone else because I made a bad investment in my future!"

No wonder the law school is falling. Clearly not educating its graduates.

I'm embarrassed to be associated with people that have that opinion.

I wish the "like" button worked so I can commend this post.

Look, I took on a six-figure debt...and if I had to do it all over again, I would not. It was a poor decision on my part. Thankfully, I have a pretty good job that allows me to pay my loans...but I am by I am by far in the minority job-wise, and I am still on a long-term pay-off plan.

Anyone shooting down a law school that is public-- YES YOU UNDERPAR--is a relic, and quite frankly a terrible business person. And, I remember correctly from one of your posts, you are a near (or over) 30-year alumni. Are you really still that desperate to keep your "private" moniker? You're career still in flux? Come on now. Let me ask you this: Would you rather your law school go by the way of the dodo-bird...because frankly, that's where it's headed...CLOSURE.

As the saying goes, I have no dog in this fight. I graduated some time ago from both institutions. What I am hearing is that the law school knew what was facing its grads and instead of making sure applicants knew that the job market was not promising it inflated its figures on post graduate employment. It placed the well being of its leadership, professors and staff ahead of its applicants. That is bound to cause bitterness. It is not asinine. Why would recent grads want to compete with grads who have little or no debt? It's called self interest. The statement I keep hearing is that if New York needs another public law school, and that is a doubtful proposition, then let it be in Binghamton where the Governor originally proposed it. Does New York really need another public law school?

Ridiculous. This claim has been made by many graduates against many law schools. Danefan is right- research would have easily shown the boasts by almost every school was hogwash. Last I heard, the courts tossed out this ridiculous point of view...

96, what's in this for you? why are you so obsessed with this? I graduated from both schools, did you? If I had to pick which institution had the biggest influence on my life and career there is no question: it is Albany Law School. Why would I want to see the future of Albany Law depend on the politics in NYS? UAlbany approached Albany Law, so who needs who?

Why? Because I think more people need access to public education, and I think this issue solves two problems without any true downside Albany gets it's professional school and Albany Law, a treasured academic institution, survives.

Really, did you just say that "UAlbany approached Albany Law, so who needs who?" I think it is obvious: Albany Law needs SOMEONE, ANYONE, based on the simple fact that they are entertaining offers. Does that really need to be spelled out for you? Just because a business approaches another business does not mean the approaching business is in need of the approached business. The approach could be for numerous strategic reasons.

Edited by Dane96

I've made a lot of money and had a very successful career. I'll bet my business acumen over yours 96. What is it you hope to gain by this, come clean? Is your name really "Dane96" or is that a moniker? I have serious doubts Albany Law will gain much of anything by merging with UAlbany.

Were you at the program tonight? Albany Law does not need anyone. It is healthy and has a fabulous business plan. UAlbany lost Nano Tech for a reason. Alan Kalearious knew that operating under the UAlbany administration would kill his dreams.