UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

I hope the affiliation happens. It should happen as its in everyone's best interest (except Binghamton and Stony Brook)

That said New York is an odd place. There is this weird private is better regardless of the facts mentality.

If a UA alum can't get behind the idea New York cynicism will certainly kill the deal.

Again, New York is an odd place. What makes sense in 49 states doesn't there.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I found interesting was that Dan Nolan was one of the programs moderators. He pretty much took the lead. He is a graduate of both schools. If he had an opinion he kept it hidden. However, he did use the word "affiliation" numerous times. The question will be how is the affiliation be defined. That seems to be vague at the moment. I suspect the leadership has a clear idea of what it is and they are not prepared to say anything until the alumni and Board of Directors are fully behind the move. AL's Board is scheduled to vote on something this month. One Board member who I know very well told me that there are some parts of the AL community who remain skeptical .i remain skeptical about funding.

A final comment off topic. I was at the UA/ Delaware football game on Saturday. I took 8 buddies. We did some tailgating and had a great time. None of them are UA graduates. They all love football and I'm sure will attend games in the future. There was comment on the absence of students. It has always been one of UA's problems. For some reason we attract students who don't care about sports.

What I found interesting was that Dan Nolan was one of the programs moderators. He pretty much took the lead. He is a graduate of both schools. If he had an opinion he kept it hidden. However, he did use the word "affiliation" numerous times. The question will be how is the affiliation be defined. That seems to be vague at the moment. I suspect the leadership has a clear idea of what it is and they are not prepared to say anything until the alumni and Board of Directors are fully behind the move. AL's Board is scheduled to vote on something this month. One Board member who I know very well told me that there are some parts of the AL community who remain skeptical .i remain skeptical about funding.

Unless what has been publicly is completely off base, if I were a graduate of Albany Law School the first question I would ask is...what is your plan to stabilize enrollment and what is your plan to continue operations? It seems to me, again, from what has been reported that due to enrollment drops Albany Law School really has two options. Get MUCH MUCH closer to a bigger, better funded local school or shut it's doors in 5-10 years time.

Please don't try to tell me that a school that often lets EVERYONE know that it's an independent school one of the last few left is talking "affiliation" just for fun. If they had ANY choice in the matter they would continue to be independent and would not even entertain these conversations.

As for the future, what do you think will happen if Binghamton and/or SBU gets a law school...doesn't that concern you one bit? Fact of the matter is there WILL be a state law school.

Edited by Clickclack

If you are really interested you can watch the town hall meeting by going to the Albany Law web site. It was not stated but I have heard from a reliable source Colgate has been involved in the discussions. In any case Albany Law School has a strategic plan to either affiliate or go it alone.

What will happen in the next 5 to10 years is several of New York's law schools will close. That in turn will make the market better for theschoolsstill standing. I am completely confident that Albany Law will not only survive but thrive. The issue from my perspective is whether Albany Law will be "better" because of an affiliation with UAlbany or Colgate or even RPI.

If Albany Law School doesn't merge (whatever "affiliate" means), it has a high risk of being among the "several" NYS law schools that will close. Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Fordham are clearly not at risk. Neither is Syracuse, Hofstra, St. John's or Cardozo. We can assume CUNY and SUNY Buffalo are also not closing due to their public mission.

This leaves Brooklyn Law, Touro, Albany, New York Law, and Pace. Those are all at risk - more than one will close. Pace and Brooklyn are probably safe. Between Touro, Albany, and NY Law - pick 2.

If you are really interested you can watch the town hall meeting by going to the Albany Law web site. It was not stated but I have heard from a reliable source Colgate has been involved in the discussions. In any case Albany Law School has a strategic plan to either affiliate or go it alone.

How does Colgate solve the current problems found at Albany Law, whether by affiliation or merger You think Colgate is going to shift it's endowment to Albany Law? Their endowment primarily goes to sports, buildings, and overall undergraduate scholarships. They are not known for graduate degrees. I also have strong doubts that such an affiliation would all of a sudden prop Albany Law up to the point where students who could afford the debt of a private school are going to not look to the other well established PL Law Schools (Georgetown, Fordham, Boston University, and American).

Edited by Dane96

If Albany Law School doesn't merge (whatever "affiliate" means), it has a high risk of being among the "several" NYS law schools that will close. Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Fordham are clearly not at risk. Neither is Syracuse, Hofstra, St. John's or Cardozo. We can assume CUNY and SUNY Buffalo are also not closing due to their public mission.

This leaves Brooklyn Law, Touro, Albany, New York Law, and Pace. Those are all at risk - more than one will close. Pace and Brooklyn are probably safe. Between Touro, Albany, and NY Law - pick 2.

I agree. And I'd venture to say that Brooklyn is in that first category; they are very safe because of the heavy NYC ties. NY Law has had serious problems, including being at the epicenter of the "graduate with jobs" issue.

Touro has been on death row for awhile, which is why they almost merged with SBU.

All I can do is recommend that you watch the town hall meeting. Two things are obvious. Albany Law is way ahead of the issues facing law schools. it has a very solid plan for the future. It was UAlbany that approached Albany Law and not the other way around. UAlbany is not the only university seeking to affiliate with Albany Law. UAlbany makes the most sense from my point of view. Albany, New York is the seat of government and there is always going to be a good environment for a law school and my money, in more ways than one, is on Albany Law.

Sounds like the vote on the 21st is much less meaningful than I thought. If no structure has even been discussed then it's really just the 'ok' to have a discussion. What's the harm?

At this point it's crazy for anyone to be against proceeding. At least to wait to see what the deal looks like before lobbying against it. Aren't you guys lawyers? Wait for the deal. When did you become afraid of talking? It could be structured quite favorably towards Albany Law.

New York is the home to crony capitalism. Doesn't this just come down to Cuomo anyway? If he likes the idea he'll put together a great deal for Albany Law if not he'll kill it. Period.

I always guessed if finances are kept separate what they'll do is set SUNY tuition for the students so the students make out great. Albany Law gets to set it's tuition so they get some autonomy. NYS agrees to pay the difference between SUNY tuition and what Albany Law is charging so Albany Law makes out as well (within reason). Only the tax payer loses but this is NY that is expected. 500 students in the grand scheme is a small cost though. Honestly this is cheaper for the tax payer then building a new law school from the ground up anyway.

That's the power of government that no deal with private Colgate is going to get you. Money,

For all the hand wringing about NYS funding, NYS has given UAlbany at least $500 Million in my simple math just in the past decade for construction projects. Half a billion dollars in effectively free money in 10 years. Try matching that elsewhere! The deal is even sweeter if Albany Law is given some special autonomy to raise their own money too.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

I'l like UA and Albany Law to stick it to UB. I think the partnership is a strength for both.

A few blurbs from SUNY Buffalo's Law School website. Seems below they are discussing the same challenges Albany Law is failing at.

-----------

Is law school worth the cost? As prospective law students nationwide struggle with that question, a leading magazine of legal education has named SUNY Buffalo Law School as one of the best in the nation for students’ return on their investment.

SUNY Buffalo’s employment figures score above the national average when factoring in one major difference in the way other law schools compile employment data, Patterson notes. Many law schools hire their own graduates or fund their fellowships at nonprofit organizations, then include these positions in their employment figures. This accounts for 4.7 percent of all jobs held by the Class of 2013 nationwide, NALP data show.

Graduates of law school will be known as really smart people based on merit, and not what they learn in school.

LSAT does not equal prep for law school.

Law School helps teach a person how to think-- not to do. Law School does not equal prep for the bar.

Bar exam passage does not equate to being able to practice.

Well put D96, I concur.