UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Tennis to be Discontinued

The way I read the ruling:  The court said UA was already non compliant of title IX; the dropping of tennis certainly made the situation worse. However, no specific prejudice was applied to tennis or the coach and the court saw no valid reason to reinstate. Also, since a remediation plan was put in place reinforced their decision to not reinstate. Now it is up to the NCAA to respond to the failure to remediate; and IMHO it will be nasty. However, knowing the wishy washy nature of the NCAA who knows.

A fine IMHO is the least of UA's problems. Typically, the men's program will be forced to reduce the # of scholarships they can offer to bring it inline with the women's number of scholies. Could also be a penalty faze where the men may be required to have a LESS scholarship ratio for a period of time This means cutting programs OR playing handicapped with less scholar athletes for men. The alternative is of course adding women's programs; but $,$$$,$$$,$$$ you can guess how likely of that happening. 

I am sorry to sound like a doom sayer. This is all speculation on my part; but I'm guessing the NCAA was waiting or hoping the courts would bale them out. Now they HAVE to do something?? They cannot simply IGNORE a TTTLE IX violation indefinitely.

Anyone like to add anything or disagree. PLEASE DO SO! Loved to be wrong about all of this.

Edited by dslyank

On 7/10/2021 at 11:56 AM, dslyank said:

A fine IMHO is the least of UA's problems. Typically, the men's program will be forced to reduce the # of scholarships they can offer to bring it inline with the women's number of scholies. Could also be a penalty faze where the men may be required to have a LESS scholarship ratio for a period of time This means cutting programs OR playing handicapped with less scholar athletes for men. The alternative is of course adding women's programs; but $,$$$,$$$,$$$ you can guess how likely of that happening. 

I am sorry to sound like a doom sayer. This is all speculation on my part; but I'm guessing the NCAA was waiting or hoping the courts would bale them out. Now they HAVE to do something?? They cannot simply IGNORE a TTTLE IX violation indefinitely.

Anyone like to add anything or disagree. PLEASE DO SO! Loved to be wrong about all of this.

It's interesting that the court made clear that they are NOT saying the University is in compliance with Title IX  (seemingly acknowledging they are not.)  The optics aren't good when trying to recruit.  Female high school athletes think 2x about coming to Albany just making the problem worse.

I also looked at the reported enrollment numbers. Looks to be nearly 500 more women now than men. It's been a few years but the last time I looked those numbers the school was nearly even and sometimes even had more males enrolled.  That's a big shift in a short period.  

If enrollment is changing that dramatically, how does the school get into compliance?!! 

EDIT:  520 more women than men as of June 30, 2020 report.
Edited by kikuria

• 3 weeks later...

Article about TITLE IX front page of TU today. Interviewed people at St Rose and lcc. Article mostly about covid and financial loses to Athletic departments and especially how that effected woman sports. Interesting comment from lcc:  "At her former school, Siena also said it has no plans to ax teams. Athletic director John D’Argenio said sports help drive enrollment with so many athletes outside of the basketball programs paying at least some of their own way."  Curious lcc currently running an add on TV claiming lcc guarantees all applicants a $57,000 scholarship. Then their athletic director claims most student athletes pay at least some of their way. Don't think that computes; but I never really believe any of the garbage that come out of the school. The article goes on to say how St.Rose and especially lcc & D'Argenio have built up their opportunities for women over the years; but fails to reveal their current TITLE IX statuses??

But I digress; what is most interesting, UA the largest school in the area is NOT mentioned or interviewed at all. Probably a very good thing UA not interviewed????????????

Edited by dslyank

On 8/1/2021 at 6:33 PM, Eli said:

Or they declined to be interviewed because it's a rope around UA's neck...

Some people like seeing their name in the news...promoting their schools...Siena is on a real kick about this....Is there a rope around UA "neck" ... I like think we are better counseled not to say something that might come back bite us...Did our  athletic admin decline...or just not available...want to talk MBB coach or Football coach...no problem

18 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Some people like seeing their name in the news...promoting their schools...Siena is on a real kick about this....Is there a rope around UA "neck" ... I like think we are better counseled not to say something that might come back bite us...Did our  athletic admin decline...or just not available...want to talk MBB coach or Football coach...no problem

What...are...you...on...about?

• Sad 1

On 8/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, dslyank said:

Article about TITLE IX front page of TU today. Interviewed people at St Rose and lcc. Article mostly about covid and financial loses to Athletic departments and especially how that effected woman sports. Interesting comment from lcc:  "At her former school, Siena also said it has no plans to ax teams. Athletic director John D’Argenio said sports help drive enrollment with so many athletes outside of the basketball programs paying at least some of their own way."  Curious lcc currently running an add on TV claiming lcc guarantees all applicants a $57,000 scholarship. Then their athletic director claims most student athletes pay at least some of their way. Don't think that computes; but I never really believe any of the garbage that come out of the school. The article goes on to say how St.Rose and especially lcc & D'Argenio have built up their opportunities for women over the years; but fails to reveal their current TITLE IX statuses??

But I digress; what is most interesting, UA the largest school in the area is NOT mentioned or interviewed at all. Probably a very good thing UA not interviewed????????????

Thinking it's a business decision by the Times Union.  UA athletics has been pouring advertising dollars towards the TU over the last few years.  That kind of coverage kills the golden goose.   UAlbany  has many former TU staffers working for them now.  Piss off the school with your coverage, sport reporters won't get access to the locker room or and beat reporters will get less access to on campus people.  That's how the game is played and both sides know it.