UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

I believe the MLAX SID recently left for Towson. Not sure how much that plays into the lack of coverage. Probably more that the department clearly places a strong emphasis on football.

FWIW..the Fisher MLAX site still lists Maloney as an assistant.

I had to run down a bunch of clothes to campus yesterday and happened to see Maloney walking around campus decked out in coaching garb so I feel confident that he is unofficially, officially on board. 

32 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I had to run down a bunch of clothes to campus yesterday and happened to see Maloney walking around campus decked out in coaching garb so I feel confident that he is unofficially, officially on board. 

Sorry..probably didn't explain that well enough. Didn't mean to suggest he might not be the coach..just that it seems the lack of announcement might not simply be the department failing to get around to it..because Fisher is basically in the same boat. Coordination, contracts, etc. Who knows. 

Saw Benson at the FB meet and great.  He said likely the SID responsibility.   I explained fans want to know and other teams are posting rosters already.  He did not seem concerned.  I also explained we would like to know who the new coaches are.  He said they are on board.  Did not say he would mention it but sounded positive about my concerns.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

I also got to talk to Benson for a few minutes. High-lites:  Casey is more than likely permanent home for men's lacrosse. Fallen Field is definitely being resurfaced, {" Too many teams are using Casey" he did not say why?}  Fallen will be used for soccer [I bet woman's lacrosse & soccer, my guess.] When I asked him if Fallen Field could be covered, he looked at me like I had three heads. Coach G had been complaining that practice had to be cut short because of the weather; so I asked Benson wouldn't be nice to have an air conditioned FIELD HOUSE. He said unless I had 10 million to donate, not to count on it. But then he said something interesting that the field house would be more important in the winter because all sports practice year round and there is not enough room for all season practices/workouts. I wanted to say if the need was there/justified he should do his job and get it done; but I simply said that  the STATE of NY should be responsible for the 10 million. He laughed and again mentioned I should not hold my breath. He seemed very reluctant to talk about any of this, but I got one last jab in and said we lost the NYGiants because we could not come up with an indoor year round fulll size practice facility. 

A little off topic;  but his intro to the event included that we are playing a power 5 team for the first time (true for football but NOT true in pretty much all other sports.) Benson said, we have first class facilities, first class tailgating and season ticket holders need to all bring their "friends" so more in the community can become involved with UA. Of course he thanked season ticket holders and GDAC, while asking for more. Not to kick a dead horse, but I'm thinking what are you (Benson) doing to increase community involvement and monies; which kind of led to my conversation with him later. Sorry about the rant, but I am really starting to question if Benson is the right man for the job. Not that I love him and obviously a different animal, but if Kaloyeros was trying to build a program, he would have found a way to wrestle money from the State and Community {maybe not honestly!}

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I also got to talk to Benson for a few minutes. High-lites:  Casey is more than likely permanent home for men's lacrosse. Fallen Field is definitely being resurfaced, {" Too many teams are using Casey" he did not say why?}  Fallen will be used for soccer [I bet woman's lacrosse & soccer, my guess.] When I asked him if Fallen Field could be covered, he looked at me like I had three heads. Coach G had been complaining that practice had to be cut short because of the weather; so I asked Benson wouldn't be nice to have an air conditioned FIELD HOUSE. He said unless I had 10 million to donate, not to count on it. But then he said something interesting that the field house would be more important in the winter because all sports practice year round and there is not enough room for all season practices/workouts. I wanted to say if the need was there/justified he should do his job and get it done; but I simply said that  the STATE of NY should be responsible for the 10 million. He laughed and again mentioned I should not hold my breath. He seemed very reluctant to talk about any of this, but I got one last jab in and said we lost the NYGiants because we could not come up with an indoor year round fulll size practice facility. 

A little off topic;  but his intro to the event included that we are playing a power 5 team for the first time (true for football but NOT true in pretty much all other sports.) Benson said, we have first class facilities, first class tailgating and season ticket holders need to all bring their "friends" so more in the community can become involved with UA. Of course he thanked season ticket holders and GDAC, while asking for more. Not to kick a dead horse, but I'm thinking what are you (Benson) doing to increase community involvement and monies; which kind of led to my conversation with him later. Sorry about the rant, but I am really starting to question if Benson is the right man for the job. Not that I love him and obviously a different animal, but if Kaloyeros was trying to build a program, he would have found a way to wrestle money from the State and Community {maybe not honestly!}

Great job on interacting with the AD. I have never met him, but the primary job of any AD is to raise lots of money, hire good coaches, and enhance athletic facilities. I imagine that NY doesn't have much money just sitting around for these kinds of projects, but if a SUNY Albany did have this kind of facility I am sure the economic payback would be pretty big, and in a short amount of time would pay for itself.

I did hear from one of the other parents that the lacrosse revenue from ticket sales was up really big last year. From almost nothing to several hundred thousand dollars which to an athletic budget like we have is a pretty big deal. All the more reason why I just scratch my head over the lack of marketing and just general information around the lacrosse program. Football is always going to drive the train at every school, and I admit I don't know the economics of FCS football, but just my opinion, but seems as if we are missing a golden opportunity to strike while the iron is hot with the lacrosse program.

40 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Back to lacrosse. I heard contact has been signed syracuse playing @ UA this season. No announcement yet??

That would be huge if that happens. I haven't heard anything about the schedule, but do know Coach Marr has been trying to upgrade it even more. Hopefully we'll see another Big10 or ACC team on the schedule.

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

Not questioning at all.  He has done a lot with local business.  The scoreboard for BB as one example.  

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

Back to lacrosse. I heard contact has been signed syracuse playing @ UA this season. No announcement yet??

He asked me not to mention it so I did not!!  We have NOT signed officially yet which is the reason for the request not to mention that they are coming here.

Edited by HOF2013

5 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Great job on interacting with the AD. I have never met him, but the primary job of any AD is to raise lots of money, hire good coaches, and enhance athletic facilities. I imagine that NY doesn't have much money just sitting around for these kinds of projects, but if a SUNY Albany did have this kind of facility I am sure the economic payback would be pretty big, and in a short amount of time would pay for itself.

I did hear from one of the other parents that the lacrosse revenue from ticket sales was up really big last year. From almost nothing to several hundred thousand dollars which to an athletic budget like we have is a pretty big deal. All the more reason why I just scratch my head over the lack of marketing and just general information around the lacrosse program. Football is always going to drive the train at every school, and I admit I don't know the economics of FCS football, but just my opinion, but seems as if we are missing a golden opportunity to strike while the iron is hot with the lacrosse program.

I am certain that we do NOT know a lot of what is going on behind the scenes.  Which is why I asked quietly about a couple of things.  Bottom line is he thinks we are out of season for lacrosse.  IMy response was I am not sure that matters since other schools are doing it.  You are correct.  With our success we NEED to run with it.

6 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

He asked me not to mention it so I did not!!  We have NOT signed officially yet which is the reason for the request not to mention that they are coming here.

I am not holding my breath that Desko would play Albany on the road, but looks like we should get Yale, Maryland, and Harvard at home this year