UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

1 hour ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Exactly that.  Face-offs are less significant, especially towards the end of a game with the ability to make up for his loss with stout and challenging D.  

So you are saying, improved D and quality goal keeping negates an elite face-off man? The reverse of this, an outstanding offense (and excellent face-offs the past two years) have been a UA trademark for years; covering up not so good D. While I AGREE, under the shot clock UA must strengthen its defensive play; I still do not see how the shot clock lessons the importance of a quality/elite face-off person.

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dslyank said:

So you are saying, improved D and quality goal keeping negates an elite face-off man? The reverse of this, an outstanding offense (and excellent face-offs the past two years) have been a UA trademark for years; covering up not so good D. While I AGREE, under the shot clock UA must strengthen its defensive play; I still do not see how the shot clock lessons the importance of a quality/elite face-off person.

Because, even if Albany gets trounced on the FO, the shot clock will limit true TOP dominance by any one team, unless the D or Goaltending is considerably worse. Think of how often the :30 went up during any given game last year, not just UA.  The net was missed maybe 60% of the time? That's gonna cause a lot more changes of possession and a lot less teams holding on to the ball looking for that one opportunity. 

9 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Because, even if Albany gets trounced on the FO, the shot clock will limit true TOP dominance by any one team, unless the D or Goaltending is considerably worse. Think of how often the :30 went up during any given game last year, not just UA.  The net was missed maybe 60% of the time? That's gonna cause a lot more changes of possession and a lot less teams holding on to the ball looking for that one opportunity. 

I don’t understand the closest to the ball rule on a shot going out of bounds. It just doesn’t make sense to me. You hit nothing the ball should go back the other way

17 hours ago, uofalbany said:

Someone was thinking about transferring. Apparently they didn’t think too long.

Maybe it was just BS to try to help lessen the loss of TD in the minds of fans.   We HAVE to improve Defense.

BestDane,  

I really HOPE you are right, that the shot clock will lessen the loss of TD; but I still think it is an absolutely devastating loss {unless Jones or Altimari and the wings step up big time.) IMHO the shot clock and good D will allow for more possessions, but I feel the shot clock will only minimally lessen the impact an elite face-off person has. Hope I'm wrong and your right.

Anyone else like to enter the "debate." [not a debate really, just a discussion.]

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

BestDane,  

I really HOPE you are right, that the shot clock will lessen the loss of TD; but I still think it is an absolutely devastating loss {unless Jones or Altimari and the wings step up big time.) IMHO the shot clock and good D will allow for more possessions, but I feel the shot clock will only minimally lessen the impact an elite face-off person has. Hope I'm wrong and your right.

Anyone else like to enter the "debate." [not a debate really, just a discussion.]

You and me both, brother, you and me both.  

I wish I had some info, but no new news other than that a former player is going to be joining the staff, and I have to assume it will be taking the volunteer assistant position. I am surprised there hasn't been an official announcement which is why I am keeping quiet and not trying to be coy about it.

I am more concerned we haven't seen a new defensive coach announced. There will have to be a lot of work done with the rule changes and some pretty key losses to graduation and of course the transfer. I say this because Coach Marr really delegates and with what I think is only one assistant on board that is a lot of work for Merrick.

The returners and incoming guys show up over the next couple of days. 

Liam Gleason has the band back together at Siena with Tim Cox and Derrick Eccles as his new assistants. I was hoping Tim might be in the running to come back to Albany after his time with Coach Marr and most recently with Robert Morris.

Just cements what I was told about the former player coming back to take Derrick's position, but still no word on the the defensive coordinator.

Boys are rolling back to campus and freshmen tomorrow.

16 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

To replace Liam Gleason, Albany will hire former Great Dane John Maloney to run their defense, per a source. After graduating in 2016, Maloney was an assistant at Skidmore and St. John Fisher for the past two seasons.

Haven’t seen anything official but that is what I heard several weeks ago when I heard about it.

29 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Maloney was a two way midfielder and a GOOD one. But I remember him more for his offense. A little puzzled why he would be hired as a DEFENSIVE coach??

That’s why I guess I incorrectly assumed he was taking the volunteer position but I just read his most recent bio and he had been the DC. Not sure what he coached at Skidmore.