UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I don't follow arena football but as I was scrolling thru channels last night, I came across the Arena Football League Championship game on ESPN2.  Saw the Albany Empire win the ship for 1st time in 20 years at the TUC.   For you CD residents, is this a big deal in the city with frequent sell-outs?  Seems like the QB Grady and WR Jones were stars all season.  Maybe my Giants could pick up Jones since thin at WR, lol.

I followed them prior to their start, when they unveiled their jerseys, logos, etc. but honestly haven't been to a single game (and you know how much I love football). The biggest thing is that the league has like 6 teams lol. To me that is like zero competition. That's what killed the hype for me.

But anyway, I did see that there was a block party and stuff by the arena cause they had people on the news talking about how big of a deal this is for downtown but don't know if it was as big as when the Firebirds were around, etc.

EDIT: I went looking...based on this link (http://www.arenafan.com/statistics/?page=attendance), surprisingly Albany was the team that had the highest attendance (average of 10k). Maybe I should reconsider for next year.

Edited by Eli
  • Thanks 2

The league is a total SHAM. Philly and Albany who played for the championship are owned by the same people. Even have the same GM and players are basically assigned to one team or the other before the season. Last year there were only four teams; expanded to 6 this year with I believe another of the original four bought a second franchise. Went to one game last year (none this year). Thought the league was a joke 20 years ago and am even more so convinced  now!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dslyank said:

The league is a total SHAM. Philly and Albany who played for the championship are owned by the same people. Even have the same GM and players are basically assigned to one team or the other before the season. Last year there were only four teams; expanded to 6 this year with I believe another of the original four bought a second franchise. Went to one game last year (none this year). Thought the league was a joke 20 years ago and am even more so convinced  now!

Well, that's the nail in the coffin for me considering it for next year. Lack of teams/competition is bad...but the whole sharing GMs thing, etc.? Joke.

P.S. Trifecta Sports and Entertainment apparently own a third team, the Atlantic City Blackjacks. LOL...what? half the teams are owned by one group?

Come on...

giphy.gif

Average attendance also declining...this thing won't survive. There's actually a 7th team apparently Cleveland Gladiators but they are on "hiatus" for 2018 and 2019 seasons because of arena renovations. I'm serious! They took a break!

Edited by Clickclack
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, statefan said:

Announcers kept referring to the venue as "transfinder field".  Is it called that for all events? or just arena football?  TU really didn't get much bang for its naming rights buck last night.

Just the field pretty sure. I used to work for Transfinder. They ain't got that kinda pull to get full arena-wide naming rights.