UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I still wondering if there is going to be a lacrosse season... others are wondering too... update about the Ivy League ...since UAlbany MLAX plays schools like Harvard, Cornell and Yale...  article from Inside Lacrosse:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/update-to-ivy-league-athletes-provides-no-new-timetable-for-return-to-play/57158

The AmEast would be smart to just play a conference only schedule THIS year. The caa is already doing this; the patriot league likely; and others a strong possibility. The ivy like the article says who knows; but with their earliest possible practice being March 1, will if they play at all probably be conference only.

With the addition of NJIT, the AmEast has 8 lacrosse playing members; playing each home & away will give a 14 game schedule. It would allow a little later starting time, less early season bad weather and have more flexibility for covid issues. If they do not go conference only, each team would be on their own scheduling 6 or 7 games with a limited participant pool. Also, they would have greater travel costs and risks, and more than likely be forced to schedule more early season bad weather games to fill out their schedules.

Edited by dslyank

On 1/16/2021 at 11:01 AM, dslyank said:

The AmEast would be smart to just play a conference only schedule THIS year. The caa is already doing this; the patriot league likely; and others a strong possibility. The ivy like the article says who knows; but with their earliest possible practice being March 1, will if they play at all probably be conference only.

With the addition of NJIT, the AmEast has 8 lacrosse playing members; playing each home & away will give a 14 game schedule. It would allow a little later starting time, less early season bad weather and have more flexibility for covid issues. If they do not go conference only, each team would be on their own scheduling 6 or 7 games with a limited participant pool. Also, they would have greater travel costs and risks, and more than likely be forced to schedule more early season bad weather games to fill out their schedules.

That would be the best and safest route, 14 AE games.  Not sure if we heard how the NCAA tourney would be run.  If bracketed as usual with automatic qualifiers and some at-large teams, then the only way to the tourney is to win the AE as the low-level competition in the AE would never produce an at-large bid for UA if they lost an AE final even if they were 14-2.

A conference only schedule does not ensure COVID-19 safety...our teams are already in six states (VT, CT, NY, NJ, MA and MD)....only issue can you find 5 - 7 non conference teams.... Syracuse owes a home game, Colgate, Hobert, Cornell and Drexel (PA school) make a nice non-conference with emphasis on New York teams.... however; Scott may have something already in place....

Edited by cwdickens

My recommending conference only, really had little to do with covid safety. Just thought it would be the easiest way to fill a schedule and get in the required amount of games to be NCAA eligible {I believe its 13 regular season games or 8 regular +4 league tournament ---anyone know for sure please post.}  With many leagues going conference only and some starting late if at all; filling out ooc could be a real issue.

The time has arrived for the America East Conference and members with lacrosse teams(men & women) to announce their intentions about the 2021 season.... I am leaning towards a conference and non-conference schedule...ACC & CAA are playing non conference teams..... 

CAA teams are playing mostly in-conference; with multiple games against the same opponent. A few regional ooc games with limited travel to fill out schedules will be allowed. Does not look like its leaves many options for UA or the AmEast to get some games with. Perhaps Drexel. Hofstra maybe--not much else other than for umbc. Of course, I could be totally wrong as things are so up in the air and my information is from the fall.

I still think AmEast best bet in-conference only/MOSTLY??

But I do agree AmEast needs to announce soon and get moving forward. Did read Duke was to play Vermont 2/7; but that has already been canceled. A lot of teams, especially in the SOUTH having real games (not scrimmages ) as early as 2/6-7. Many have been practicing 2-3 weeks already and have had pretty nearly full fall ball activities. I do not think UA has had a full team together since March and with new additions; I believe playing in-conference only will alleviate some of the competitive disadvantages we will be up against, especially early on. I know bid and NCAA tournament time playing in-conference only could hurt UA. But IMHO, do not see how getting beat-up by teams who have had MUCH more opportunities to prepare is going to help UA. ALL thoughts, opinions, disagreements welcomed.

Anyone KNOW if UA has even started on-field full team practice yet??????????????

Edited by dslyank

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

CAA teams are playing mostly in-conference; with multiple games against the same opponent. A few regional ooc games with limited travel to fill out schedules will be allowed. Does not look like its leaves many options for UA or the AmEast to get some games with. Perhaps Drexel. Hofstra maybe--not much else other than for umbc. Of course, I could be totally wrong as things are so up in the air and my information is from the fall.

I still think AmEast best bet in-conference only/MOSTLY??

But I do agree AmEast needs to announce soon and get moving forward. Did read Duke was to play Vermont 2/7; but that has already been canceled. A lot of teams, especially in the SOUTH having real games (not scrimmages ) as early as 2/6-7. Many have been practicing 2-3 weeks already and have had pretty nearly full fall ball activities. I do not think UA has had a full team together since March and with new additions; I believe playing in-conference only will alleviate some of the competitive disadvantages we will be up against, especially early on. I know bid and NCAA tournament time playing in-conference only could hurt UA. But IMHO, do not see how getting beat-up by teams who have had MUCH more opportunities to prepare is going to help UA. ALL thoughts, opinions, disagreements welcomed.

Anyone KNOW if UA has even started on-field full team practice yet??????????????

I talked with one of parents who still has a son playing and he told me that they are supposed to start practicing next week. I may have heard this wrong, so don't quote me on this, but I think one of the hold ups was the procedure of getting kids back on campus with the virus, testing, quarantining and what not.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I talked with one of parents who still has a son playing and he told me that they are supposed to start practicing next week. I may have heard this wrong, so don't quote me on this, but I think one of the hold ups was the procedure of getting kids back on campus with the virus, testing, quarantining and what not.

My niece, who is an assistant coach at a DI women's program, has stated most DI programs will start formal practices on 01 February 2021....even without a 2021 schedule announcement

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

My niece, who is an assistant coach at a DI women's program, has stated most DI programs will start formal practices on 01 February 2021....even without a 2021 schedule announcement

Don't mean to contradict your niece; but

Pretty sure many programs, especially bigs---Duke, Maryland, Hopkins, Others--- have been practicing since first week in January.   Syracuse most definitely had practices in January, before being hit with covid pause.  Most Southern Schools have games scheduled 2/6-7 and those that don't will certainly be playing the second weekend in February. Do you think Duke, Hopkins, Towson etc. would be playing games if they "only" started practice 2/1??????? They have all been practicing ALREADY. And most have had a pretty much full fall ball. Then again the NCAA has never been known to be 'FAIR" across the board.

Edited by dslyank