UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Warning Across the Bow - The Closing of The College at Oneonta - SUNY

cwdickens

Chancellor Jim Malatras made two trips to Oneonta this week. 

• Monday: To lay down the law to the College at Oneonta  student community and send a warning to the rest of the SUNY student population to get with the program or face the consequences.
  • Thursday: To demonstrate what those consequences are; by closing the College at Oneonta, SUNY for the balance of the semester and sending everyone home for remote learning

I hope the University at Albany students have heard the message because as one of the printable signs states: "Damien knows where you live".  I suspect Residence Life and University Police will out in full force this weekend.  Does anyone know how many active COVID-19 cases on the UAlbany campus?

I hope there is a study completed to help us understand how things went so terribly wrong in Oneonta.  Was this a week of bad behavior and not abiding by social distancing rules or did a large number of students failed to comply with the requirements prior to returning to campus?

P.S.  I noticed the College of St. Rose has cancelled all athletic practices due failure of athletes abiding to the rules.

I thought I read somewhere that Cuomo said the students could NOT be sent home; for fear that they would infect parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.  I thought they had to shelter in place @ the college for the full semester? Was this just a suggestion or has the rule been changed already or am I wrong and it was never put in place?? With covid things change so fast even from day to day; so I can hardly ever tell what the proper protocol for the day IS.

As for sheltering in place in Oneonta for a full semester, seems to me a very appropriate punishment {LOL.}

What I've read makes it seem like positive cases have to remain on campus until there's a negative test. From the TU article about Oneonta: "All students who have tested negative for COVID-19  will move out from Friday, Sept. 4, to Monday, Sept. 7. Students who have been moved to quarantine are asked to remain isolated on campus until they are cleared by the Department of Health."

2 hours ago, Jammaster said:

Cornell now has a cluster of 39. Of those, 36 are student athletes.

I don't know what their testing protocol looks like, but could the high percentage of student athletes have more to do with them continuing to be tested regularly and non athletes only being tested if they go to health services or are displaying symptoms?

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

I thought I read somewhere that Cuomo said the students could NOT be sent home; for fear that they would infect parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.  I thought they had to shelter in place @ the college for the full semester? Was this just a suggestion or has the rule been changed already or am I wrong and it was never put in place?? With covid things change so fast even from day to day; so I can hardly ever tell what the proper protocol for the day IS.

As for sheltering in place in Oneonta for a full semester, seems to me a very appropriate punishment {LOL.}

My understanding is that Oneonta students must remain on campus for a period of days to prevent infecting others while returning to home and after arriving at home....students with COVID-19 must remain on campus in isolation until cleared by the Otesego County of Health or a member of the Oneonta medical staff.  David under normal circumstances,  sheltering in place in Oneonta / Otesgo County as a great thing.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:22 PM, cwdickens said:

My understanding is that Oneonta students must remain on campus for a period of days to prevent infecting others while returning to home and after arriving at home....students with COVID-19 must remain on campus in isolation until cleared by the Otesego County of Health or a member of the Oneonta medical staff.  David under normal circumstances,  sheltering in place in Oneonta / Otesgo County as a great thing.

My wife has fond memories as well, but then you could drink at 18 then and the Copper Fox and The Royal are long gone...

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

Sorry CW! I know you have fond memories of Oneonta. My memories not so pleasant. I meant NO offense.

I took no offense from your words...my spouse took many Autumn trips to Oneonta when our daughter went to Hartwick... My spouse loved the bar life .. During her time at UAlbany she would visit friends that attended Oneonta...

Edited by cwdickens
Clarification
  • Like 1