UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany MLAX Next Up - America East Conference Tournament Thursday, May 6, 2021 1:00 PM - Baltimore MD

MAY 6 (THU) 1:00 PM

AT 
#1 UMBC
BALTIMORE, MD.

Edited by cwdickens
update

2 minutes ago, dslyank said:

That was ugly but I’ll take. UMBC 1 goal from their attack. I guess UA D decided to sit back; deny everything in close; & let UMBC fire away from long range—some VERY long. 

UMBC doesn't have explosive attack men. The slides today, and for the last number of years have been hard to understand and we created much of their offense. Kunz was sliding to guys 15-20 yards out, and when we make those slides it causes the the defense to start chasing. I have never understood what is going on back there. Overall just way, way too sloppy.

• Like 2

If the poles don’t slide out, doesn’t that put a lot of pressure on the middies? How do you defend teams like UMBC & Cuse, who get most of their scoring from the outside? Never played Lax, so I’d really appreciate your thoughts on when to slide & when not; and how to defend long range shots

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

If the poles don’t slide out, doesn’t that put a lot of pressure on the middies? How do you defend teams like UMBC & Cuse, who get most of their scoring from the outside? Never played Lax, so I’d really appreciate your thoughts on when to slide & when not; and how to defend long range shots

First off I have no idea what they team is being asked to do on defense. I had some insights but not now. My impression has been for years is that Albany is willing to give up the outside shot and not let anything easy in close, especially in the middle. That isn't a horrible philosophy IMO if that plays into your goalie's strengths. But today and for the last couple of years we do a lot of ball watching IMO, and just way too many unnecessary slides when the opposing player isn't a scoring threat. There were two plays today where 48 collapsed in the middle when no help was needed and it was a skip pass up top and an uncontested goal.

I don't think I am stretching it when I am saying that Kunz was running out 15+ yards at times for no apparent reason. When that happens he has to recover or the defense needs to rotate. There definitely is a time and place to slide, but show me that a certain player needs to be slid too, prove to me that someone is hot with the outside shot, and show me that they can beat my goalie from outside. It just seems that we have guys out of position way too often, and it isn't like UMBC is a super athletic team. They are known for good defense and a really methodical offense.

• Like 1

Hmmm, win the face-off battle and you win games.  What a great idea, lol.  Why didn't they think of that sooner.  But now we need to break the four game losing streak vs UVM and it starts at the face-off X. 

• Like 1