UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

WBB - Game 3 - OOC - vs Sarah Lawrence @ Events and Athletic Center St Rose College, Albany, NY November 13, 2023, 7:00 PM

Nov 13 (Mon) 7:30 PM

Albany, N.Y. Events and Athletics Center - Saint Rose

As a reminder, Sarah Lawrence is a DIII school. Sarah Lawrence plays the overwhelming number of their road games in Westchester Orange and Nassau Counties and New York City.  A true away game for them.

Their head coach is in his 7th year and has a record at SL of 20-103. Last year they did win 8 games which equaled the total of their previous three seasons combined. So I guess they are on the upswing. In 2019-20 they went 0-25. They’ve got some decent height. 

Edited by jimbo
Bad grammar…bad something…I was a math major….I knew it was wrong but not what to call it…

8 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

I can't stand these games on the schedule. What was the purpose of this? 300+ teams in DI...go to middle of no where New Mexico or Texas and play a DI team.

Me too. Interesting that the game article on the SL website called it an exhibition, but neither schedule labels it as such. It should have been IMHO. Little more than a scrimmage against a hopelessly overmatched opponent. There must be some benefit to scheduling a game like that and taking a shellacking. Other than the chance for the SL players to go against a D1 team that is. I’d rather they get a D2 game or a decent NAIA school or NCCAA team like Roberts Wesleyan (lost to Bing by 25 in an exhibition this year). 

Highlights from an online Times-Union story

The University at Albany women's basketball team broke program records for points and margin of victory on Monday night in a 118-27 demolition of Division III Sarah Lawrence at The College of Saint Rose's Nolan Gymnasium.

"It's not my intention to win by 90 (actually 91) points," Great Danes head coach Colleen Mullen said. "It's not my intention to do that. This opponent was gracious enough to play us on very short notice. They had a game the night before and was the third opponent we were supposed to play after the two opponents agreed to play us and then dropped us. The thing about how you get better in a game like this is that you stick to your fundamentals and everybody on the team gets to play."

Against Sarah Lawrence, Mullen played 12 players between 13 and 22 minutes each.

"Getting those players game experience, having to execute out of the timeout, having to follow a strategy, having to just play in front a crowd is extremely valuable and that's really the point of that game," Mullen said."

The Great Danes outrebounded Sarah Lawrence 56-24. The Gryphons committed 39 turnovers to UAlbany's six.

"I don't get any joy out of over a 30-point win," Mullen said. "I was not trying to run the score up. What I didn't want to do is not allow my players to play the way I want them to play to get better."

That’s a good explanation and recap of what transpired.  I can really see where you don’t want to hold your players back, while at the same time not wanting to intentionally embarrass another program….at any level. It put everyone in a tough spot. What really impresses me about coach Mullen’s teams has been their tough play without showboating….very controlled and workmanlike (workwomanlike?). The best always move on, but I hope Coach M drops anchor and sticks around for a long time to come.