UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

WBB - Game 6 - OOC - at #4 Stanford University, Maples Pavilion, Stamford, CA November 26, 2023, 4:00 PM ET (1:00 PM PT)

Stanford is 6-0 (two wins over ranked teams) while Albany is 4-1, the caliber of our opponents is as expected less.

Nov 26 (Sun) 4:00 PM

at 
#4 Stanford
Stanford, Calif.
TV: Pac-12 Networks
Edited by cwdickens

The Times-Union article about today's game:

UALBANY WOMEN

VanDerveer faces Danes, to meet with them after

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F26&id=Pc0240600&ext=.jpg&ts=20231126071104
Jim Franco/Times Union archive

UAlbany coach Colleen Mullen said she was greatly influenced watching Tara VanDerveer’s teams at Stanford. The Great Danes and Cardinal play each other Sunday in California.

Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer, the winningest coach in the history of women’s college basketball, plans to visit the University at Albany locker room after Sunday’s game in Maples Pavilion.

The fourth-ranked Cardinal (6-0) and UAlbany (4-1) tip off at 4 p.m.

VanDerveer, a Schenectady native who played her freshman season at UAlbany in 1971-72, accepted an invitation from UAlbany assistant coach Yvonne Hawkins to speak to the players afterward.

“I think women’s basketball, we’re really in the process of growing our game,” VanDerveer said in a phone interview Friday. “Just wanted them to know maybe my connection to their school. When I was there, I watched them build the towers (on campus). I watched them build that school and it’s a great, great university. Letting them know that they’re playing up and I’m going to be rooting for them after that.”

UAlbany coach Colleen Mullen said her team will tour the Stanford campus after speaking to VanDerveer, who has won 1,192 games and three NCAA championships. She’s 11 victories from passing Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski as the all-time winningest coach in men’s or women’s college basketball.

Mullen and VanDerveer will meet for the first time.

“I mean, she’s a trailblazer in women’s basketball,” Mullen said. “She’s an icon. She’s a Hall of Fame coach. She’s just a very strong female leader that I want players to get the opportunity to get to know. … To have that experience of meeting her, hearing her perspective, hearing her path for success and any nuggets or words of wisdom that she can share with our players to make the experience that much more memorable.”

Raised in Chelmsford, Mass., Mullen said she fell in love with basketball watching VanDerveer’s Stanford teams on television when there wasn’t as much visibility for women’s basketball.

That personal history was incentive for Mullen to schedule this game. She also wanted to get her players a trip to the Bay Area to face one of the most prolific programs in the women’s game. Mullen has never faced Stanford as a player or a coach.

VanDerveer said her director of basketball operations, Eileen Roche, set up the game.

“We needed a home game and I think that Albany, they’ve traditionally had a really good team,” VanDerveer said. “When she said, ‘Hey, would you like to play them,’ I said, ‘Sure.’ We’re excited they’re coming out.”

VanDerveer went to The Milne School in Albany, which didn’t have a girls’ team, from seventh grade on before attending UAlbany for one season. Looking for better competition, she transferred to Indiana for her final three years.

At UAlbany, VanDerveer lived in Dutch Quad. Her roommate Pat Gold had a daughter, Ros Gold-Onwude, who ended up playing for VanDerveer at Stanford. Gold-Onwude is now a broadcaster for ESPN.

“I have just incredibly strong, positive memories and connections to Albany,” VanDerveer said.

She sent them a video message before UAlbany lost at Louisville two years ago in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

“I think just play hard and be yourself,” VanDerveer recalled as her message. “You’re in the NCAA Tournament and have fun.”

UAlbany hopes to win another America East title this season. Mullen thinks this game will help toward that goal, regardless of the outcome.

“I think they’re a national championship-caliber team,” Mullen said. “We’re obviously going to have to play a very flawless game to upset them. My focus is that the players have fun and enjoy the experience and they feel good about executing a game plan.”

VanDerveer said she hopes the game will be beneficial for both teams.

“We know that Albany is a great program,” she said. “We’ve been playing great competition, and Albany will be no exception.”

UALBANY VS. STANFORD

When: 4 p.m. Sunday

Where: Maples Pavilion, Stanford, Calif.

TV: Pac-12 Network

https://gostanford.com/news/2023/11/26/womens-basketball-no-4-cardinal-jumps-all-over-ualbany.aspx

It’s nice to see the collegiality of the coaches and programs. It’s also nice to see the point totals Stanford put up against two top 15 opponents, versus the UA game. All the women on the team can always say they played against a Tara Vandervere coached team. 

• cwdickens changed the title to WBB - Game 6 - OOC - at #4 Stanford University, Maples Pavilion, Stamford, CA November 26, 2023, 4:00 PM ET (1:00 PM PT)