UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

saw this article Inside Lacrosse {looked to similar to an article from last winter- 5 teams "under the radar for 2024"--- I guess it was} :

I had UAlbany in a similar category last year and felt justified by their late-season push and close call in the America East Championship Game. There is just something back about the Danes — that swagger and personality that went missing in the stretch around COVID. A good deal can be attributed to Jake Piseno, who has a confident-borderline-cocky personality and unique style that is symbolic of being an “Albany guy.” Goaltending could change their floor or ceiling.

Inside Lacrosse has UA scrimmaging lcc on Feb 3. This was also on UA unofficial schedule posted before the schedule was formalized. No time is posted and in the past Feb scrimmages have been inside at Afrims and at night. Feb 3 this year is the big purple growl.

I hope the two events don't conflict. UA--lcc lax, even if only a scrimmage is usually scrappy and a good indicator of UA's season?? From inside lax lcc has a senior/grad loaded team and is expected to compete for the maac title; after two years of improving play.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:58 AM, dslyank said:

Inside Lacrosse has UA scrimmaging lcc on Feb 3. This was also on UA unofficial schedule posted before the schedule was formalized. No time is posted and in the past Feb scrimmages have been inside at Afrims and at night. Feb 3 this year is the big purple growl.

I hope the two events don't conflict. UA--lcc lax, even if only a scrimmage is usually scrappy and a good indicator of UA's season?? From inside lax lcc has a senior/grad loaded team and is expected to compete for the maac title; after two years of improving play.

Icc??

On 1/18/2024 at 9:58 AM, dslyank said:

Scrimmage listed on lcc site as 1pm; so no conflict with GROWL if accurate. Listed as @ UA.  No information from UA if @ Casey or inside at Afrims???  Anyone know for sure where being held??

The scrimmage is at 1pm @ Casey.

Parking is at Dutch. Broadview will be for basketball/purple growl. You can try to park there if you have a basketball parking pass; but be sure to only SHOW the pass, DO NOT let them scan it; or you will not be able to leave and come back later. I have had this issue before, when multiple events are on the same day. Unless they have corrected/fixed the no-reentry parking policy, you have to negotiate with the attendant to let you enter without scanning the pass.

Edited by dslyank

Game Report if anyone cares. UA wins 3 qtrs to 2. Tied end of regulation; UA scored first goal of 5th qtr or overtime if you prefer. QTR SCORES UA listed first: 2-3, 3-2, 1-2, 4-3, & 4-2; overall 14-12.

Impressions:  lcc is a veteran team with +20 seniors & grads.  UA played mostly soph, freshmen’s at least offensively and UA senior goalie did not play at all. lcc according the more poised team, and are picked by inside lacrosse to win the Maac. Obviously both teams KNOW pretty much everything there is to know about each other. 
That being said IMHO UA actually should have won by more. UA missed 4 goals right in front (one with a totally empty net) and pretty much uncontested. Twice in the first minute of play. Also, lcc got the tieing goal in qtr 4 after #28 for UA got hit in the head with a stick, his head pretty much spun around—no call, UA was called for 2-30second holds while trying to help their obviously dazed teammate. Obviously pre-season for the ref’s too.

In perhaps a bizarre turn of events UA #3 face off man (at least in the order used yesterday), had a hat trick in qtrs 4–5. (#34 sophomore Oppenheim.)

As far as other players of note with some waring no number and #21 is not listed on the roster at all, so accuracy following questionable:   I did not see Peter Salit(#16) at all unless he was numberless or waring #21; Parker Winky #41 had two goals late; Whitcomb (#2) had at least 2 goals but he also might be one of the four who fanned on almost sure things(?); I’m not sure anyone else had more than 1 ea; but with Sun and my aging eyes sometimes hard to tell who scored. 

Anyone want to add or correct or contradict any/all of this WELCOMED. 

Edited by dslyank

#21 is Jacksonville transfer Will Hardy. Believe Salit had un numbered pinny & back running middie. Did not see Jack VanValkenburg dressed as injured again. Did really like the freshman goalie Landon from GA. Has a great energy & mobility out of cage. We have lacked a stud keeper for awhile & he could be real deal. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UAlbany09 said:

Is that normal for a team to have played 3 games already by the time Albany plays its first? 

Sort of normal. Unless UA makes  an early season trip to the dome (SU whatever it is called these days), most years UA will be opening against teams that have played 1-3 games already.

Scott has been trying for years to get some relief for Northeast teams, by having a later allowed start date & more practice time often reduced/cut short by weather. His efforts are always doomed to failure by the power of the dixie teams and the traditionalist who claim it would make final four weekend on Memorial Day difficult/impossible to achieve {even though sample schedules have been provided, even with a mandatory start date the last weekend in Feb--still possible to be done by memorial weekend.}

That being said last Saturday was actually nearly perfect weather for lacrosse all across the northeast & south. Not to say 2/17 UA's home opener won't be 20 below🤧.

ps the last time UA had three regular season home games in February, each game was more brutal than the one before, with wind chills well below freezing each time, Then the season was canceled due to covid; and when Benson offered a roll over season package for the following year, he pro-rated out the three games the few of saw. He should have given us an award for attending instead of basically charging us twice🤑.

Edited by dslyank

14 hours ago, UAlbany09 said:

Is that normal for a team to have played 3 games already by the time Albany plays its first? 

To further answer your question and show the problems Northeast teams have by the allowed first week in Feb start time:  take a look at our first oponent Colgate--they play their first six games on the road, opened with their upset of Penn State in Happy Valley; play tonight at the dome then outdoors at Hobart & UA {weather permitting.} Vermont for a couple of years went the Softball/Baseball route and played 3 weeks in Florida [got too expensive I guess the past two years went the SU dome route early] and of course teams with money:   Ohio State, Notre Dame, Maryland (go figure you'd think they would be far enough south already) and I think Army have all completed indoor lacrosse facilities large enough to accommodate sizable crowds. 

ps Syracuse was suppose to come to UA this year, but since everyone in the Northeast wants to get inside the dome for early season games, they chose to cancel their commitment to come to Albany, and proceed to open their season with SEVEN straight home games in the dome. ps they use to be famous for playing only at home; but caught some slack for this and/or got bad and had to stop the practice. Now that they are supposedly good again{??}, I guess they can get away with it again.

A few things I heard from Coach Marr on Wyland's radio show:

1.  There will be a scrimmage this weekend @ Cornell

2.  Jake Piseno is the sole captain (altho there is a leadership group which includes Graydon Hogg)

3.  Freshman Landon Whitney will be the starting goalie