UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: Game 31: UA @ Bryant 3/5 - 7:00pm

It's an opinion of course:

1) Beagle has some severe defensive  limitations as well. However he is 6'10. You can't have a 6'5 guy play center and be successful in D1 basketball very often.  Newton cannot shoot the ball from more than 5 feet from the hoop so he cannot play the 4. Beagles offensive skill set was just better.  He LEAD the AE in rebounds. Newton is fine for a backup. 

He was get 5 to 10 minutes with UML and Bryant as well. 

2) Beagle would start and play for Vermont. Not sure the hypothetical minutes but probably 20 to 25. 

If you want a good example of how different the 2 are skill set wise, put the 2 in the portal this year and see where they end up. Coaches know more about the game if basketball than I do.  

Vermont is a good low to middle major and if we want to start winning again we better start comparing ourselves to Vermont. Otherwise no need to put resources into the program.  Luckily that does not seem to be the case and we are putting resources in. 

• Like 1

I want to be clear.  The above is not a crap on Newton post.  It's a crap on Killings post.  The team will look much different in 2 weeks.  Killings needs to keep Thomas and Marshall and recruit over everyone else.  

In terms of Newton, if you want him the play big minutes you are going to need much much better 3 and 4 guys to make up for the fact a hard trying 6'5 guy can't play 5 feet from the basket. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Not sure where you get that centers should shoot over 70%

My mistake. The site I used was called BenchBoss. The 70% figure was for FOUL shooting for a good shooting stretch center. I guess overall a stud center should be in the over 60% range. I had googled what %age was good for a college center. The BenchBoss (and I have no idea the quality of the site) bounced around a lot and also talked about two different types of stats, regular and advanced/true shooting % (which I did understand the difference); and never fully answered my question as to an overall good center shooting %age. 
So I guess Newtons 66% is impressive. For me a non-expert, his shooting does not pass the eye test. 

Edited by dslyank

10 hours ago, McFan said:

Two questions:

1.  Given the stats above how many minutes should Beagle get?

2.  How many minutes would Beagle get at UVM?

UVM has crushed this league for years.  To say he wouldn’t get many minutes there is unfair.  How many would he get at the other 6 teams ahead of us?

I get it he’s not a superstar.  But in the AE, given his performance the last 8 games, I see no reason he wouldn’t fight for a starting job or first big off the bench on teams not named UVM.  It sucks but we can’t compare ourselves w UVM.  

Fair question.  1- He should get all the minutes he got for us because even with his downfalls, which include horrific defense and inconsistent movement on offense that stopped him from getting good positioning, he still averaged an EASY double double.  2- He would get maybe 20-25 a game at UVM precisely because of his lazy defense and inability to be consistent on offense.  

Quite frankly, Beagle disappointed me as a player. He has all the tools in his arsenal (I think?!) to be a 20 and 8 guy.  He really did not take a jump this year and it starts with defense.  His defense was atrocious...and that's being polite.  On paper, he has all the tools to become a top 30-40 all-time AE Big....maybe even a higher ceiling than that.  However, he progressed this year from last year merely on talent alone and not because of effort.  

Can some of that be a team conflict situation with Amare, Sebastian, and Beagle not wanting to share the ball?  No idea.  If it was, then that is on Killings who should have recruited around Beagle.  Again, all speculation.  However, there is absolutely ZERO reason that Beagle, Thomas, and Marshall...on paper, should have all been int he Top 15 players of the league...and could have easily contributed a combined 55-60 ppg offensively, regularly.

If Beagle's lack of progression was due to my last paragraph, then it is primarily on Killings and Beagle, with some fault to Thomas and Marshall.  If it was lack of effort, then that is just on Beagle.  However, he literally DID NOT progress this year and any team worth their salt figured him out. Kid couldn't pass out of a double team if he had a 5 foot passing lane in front of him. 

Either way, to surmise the answer to your question--he would be a role player at Vermont, UVM, and Bryant the way those teams were constructed this year...and playing similar minutes as he did for us for UNH on down. 

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 2