UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: Game 31: UA @ Bryant 3/5 - 7:00pm

99 nice post overall. Do have to disagree on Newton. Need to let him move on. Too small to play the 5; and can’t shoot a lick to play the 4 (or even the 5 for that matter) and can’t play defense. Give him props for hustle and ++ for rebounding; but shooting, and foul shooting and even in close misses too many chipies  

Just my opinion.

Newton shot 62% from the floor on the year and nearly 75% over the last 8 games and averaged nearly 7 RBs and 8 PPG over that stretch.  All this in about 24 MPG.  Mostly as an undersized 5.  

Not sure we couldn’t find a spot for him next to a competent big.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, McFan said:

Newton shot 62% from the floor on the year and nearly 75% over the last 8 games and averaged nearly 7 RBs and 8 PPG over that stretch.  All this in about 24 MPG.  Mostly as an undersized 5.  

Not sure we couldn’t find a spot for him next to a competent big.

OK.If you say so, but you also made my point he MISSED 1/3rd of his shots, basically all lay-ups. Pretty sure he shot less than 50% from the foul line. Could no way cover much bigger 5s. Loved his hustle and I guess as a back up could be an asset, but no way any use at the 4. 

Sorry, it's not if I say so.  It's the stats saying so.  

Do you know how many players in the entire NCAA D1 missed less than 1/3 of their shots?  2.  Yes 2.  Missing 1/3 of your shots is incredibly good.  The first guy 6'5" is under 60%.   His 62% on the year would tie him w/ Zach Edey.  His 74% over the last 8 games would place him easily as #1 in the country in FG %.  His FG% was easily number 1 on the team w/ 6'10" Beagle in 2nd at 58%.   He'd be an 11 and 9 guy at 32 minutes/game.  He blocked more shots in far less minutes than Beagle did.

His FT shooting sucks and he commits to many fouls.  But to point out missing 1/3 of his shots as a weakness is akin to saying a .300 hitter sucks because he makes an out 70% of the time.  

• Like 1

Fan, not trying to argue with you. I have never been a coach above cyo and played no higher than intramurals. Probably wrong but not seeing Newton as stud shooter. Consulted a couple sites to try and understand the #s. Two sites both of which reported as centers have become more of a stretch position the #s might be somewhat skewed, but both reported a good center should be shooting north of 70%. What did not make sense they the said should shoot north of 60 % in the paint?? So assuming 60% is a more realistic goal and Newton really shoots exclusively a few feet from the basket, I still have a hard time believing him as a stud 5. Please not saying I am right just my opinion  

Not sure where you get that centers should shoot over 70%

There are only 9 players in the NBA that shoot over 60% from the floor and none over 70%. 

Newton is not a 5. He shouldnt be a 5. He was forced into that role due to our big man leaving the program. We still have no idea why that happened and if we blame the kid for quitting or the coaching staff for being inappropriate, but I digress.

Newton had how many double doubles this year? IMO he was one of the bright spots on the team, doing a serviceable job in a position he had no business playing. He is fine playing the 4 if the team has another big on the floor. I loved his effort. Yes he missed some chippy shots, but so did everyone. His FG% was higher than Beagle's. 

19 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

There are only 9 players in the NBA that shoot over 60% from the floor and none over 70%. 

Newton is not a 5. He shouldnt be a 5. He was forced into that role due to our big man leaving the program. We still have no idea why that happened and if we blame the kid for quitting or the coaching staff for being inappropriate, but I digress.

Newton had how many double doubles this year? IMO he was one of the bright spots on the team, doing a serviceable job in a position he had no business playing. He is fine playing the 4 if the team has another big on the floor. I loved his effort. Yes he missed some chippy shots, but so did everyone. His FG% was higher than Beagle's. 

The stretch 4's and 5's of today (NBA or college) will never shoot above 50%. Down low bangers who are very good should be around 55-60%. Shaq only got over 60% like 4 or 5 years and he was dominant inside. The game has changed.

Edited by Eli

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

Newton is the perfect 5 to 10 minute guy.  If he is playing anymore than that the team is in trouble. 

Guess what? The team is in trouble. 

Agreed...and he is NIOWHERE CLOSE to Travis Charles.  Not even in the same zip code. He seems like a good kid, but he is exactly what was said here-- 5 to 10 minute guy.  He is playing over his talent right now...his talent is a motor and eating up time. He also does a decent job of cleaning up bunnies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

He is definitely a "fine" four for the AE, up to 10 minutes per game.  That's all.  Again, Killings put a $ienaty construction together for this team. Neely is not a 4, he's a 3.  So if he was hoping Neely was a 4, Beagle was a 5....well, issues with that construction.  We don't have a true 4.  To me, the starting line up (in a perfect world) would have been Thomas, Marshall, Neely, Reddish, and Beagle. Or replace Reddish with Jackson...but Jackson is NOT a 2.  

Jackson, Bertram, Little, and a 4 that wasn't recruited by Killings, i.e. he miscalculated, would be the first four off the bench.  You give the Argentine kid or Margoupis some minutes at the 4/5.  And little comes in for a spark.  That's your squad.  Not having a true 4 was a huge problem.  Frankly put, Newton and Filiien are "break for an emergency" guys, situationally put in and averaging about 5 min a game each over a season.  Margoupis and Adnan should have been redshirted....and if you had a proper 4, you might be able to redshirt the Argentine. With respect to Matalu and Walker, they are just practice bodies.

That's my opinion.  Not having a proper 4 or 5 to come in...was absolutely horrendous recruiting.  

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Agreed...and he is NIOWHERE CLOSE to Travis Charles.  Not even in the same zip code. He seems like a good kid, but he is exactly what was said here-- 5 to 10 minute guy.  He is playing over his talent right now...his talent is a motor and eating up time. He also does a decent job of cleaning up bunnies. 

Clearly not Travis Charles but to think he’s only good for 5-10 minutes in the AE seems a bit much.  Scoring, rebounding, FG % and shot blocking he out performs Beagle statistically when given the chance.  He did this with no other big on the floor.   And this group (me included) thought Beagle was the man.  

Defensively?  Not sure either one is a stopper.  Beagles height gives him a big advantage most likely.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, McFan said:

Clearly not Travis Charles but to think he’s only good for 5-10 minutes in the AE seems a bit much.  Scoring, rebounding, FG % and shot blocking he out performs Beagle statistically when given the chance.  He did this with no other big on the floor.   And this group (me included) thought Beagle was the man.  

Defensively?  Not sure either one is a stopper.  Beagles height gives him a big advantage most likely.

Fair points. 

35 minutes ago, McFan said:

Not putting the kid down.  He tries really hard and seems like a good kid. However on good team, EX) Vermont.  He is a 5 to 10 minute guy.  

We have the budget and now arena to not only complete with Vermont but constantly outdue Vermont with the right coach.  

2 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Not putting the kid down.  He tries really hard and seems like a good kid. However on good team, EX) Vermont.  He is a 5 to 10 minute guy.  

We have the budget and now arena to not only complete with Vermont but constantly outdue Vermont with the right coach.  

Two questions:

1.  Given the stats above how many minutes should Beagle get?

2.  How many minutes would Beagle get at UVM?

UVM has crushed this league for years.  To say he wouldn’t get many minutes there is unfair.  How many would he get at the other 6 teams ahead of us?

I get it he’s not a superstar.  But in the AE, given his performance the last 8 games, I see no reason he wouldn’t fight for a starting job or first big off the bench on teams not named UVM.  It sucks but we can’t compare ourselves w UVM.