UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Maybe this is our shot in? I sure hope so.

I thought the exit fee was higher but another poster said it was just $1M and that is just 1 guarantee payment against a school like 'Bama. Get your clock cleaned, take the check and upgrade again a few years later to fbs.

Why so anxious to move to the CAA...I have serious reservation. A league where we would be a pretty far Norther outpost. Travel and budgets would have to go up significantly...I understand why football went but I'm much more bearish on moving the rest of sports there...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love for SBU to come with us to the CAA. It would lessen that travel issue and keep the rivalry.

The AE will only be weaker next season. We lose BU and gain Lowell. The AE is a bottom or near bottom rung conference. Sure the CAA has taken some hits but with Albany and SBU added it can regain the true mid major conference level.

Anyway, what are our options? I would prefer A10 or MAC but its very unlikely. Staying put seems worse than leaving.

The AEast is not the answer guys. UVM, Bing, UMass Lowell are not our peer schools.

The AEast was designed as a conglomerate of small Northeastern state schools that wanted a minimal investment in DI athletics. We are not a small school and our enrollment and committment to athletics is already outgrowing the league.

Yeah, I know what you are saying but I kind of feel like the CAA is a bit of a sinking ship. Seems like all of their members are bailing for bigger/better...so we'd be upgrading into a reduced conference. How much longer will JMU be there? Richmond? Delaware to an extent?

That being said, I do like your idea of a new league but chances of that happening? Also not a fan of Elon, Furmon or Wofford.

The AEast is not the answer guys. UVM, Bing, UMass Lowell are not our peer schools.

The AEast was designed as a conglomerate of small Northeastern state schools that wanted a minimal investment in DI athletics. We are not a small school and our enrollment and committment to athletics is already outgrowing the league.

The AE is not the answer...ok...just not sure a SINKING CAA is...Who's next to bail? We'll be stuck with Elon and Wofford as a Northern outpost Rumor has it NU is looking at the PL.

I'm not saying the CAA is either, but the AEast needs to make some serious vision changes or we need a new home.

The more and more things shake out, the better and better the MAC looks for a long term target. That's more than likely where Stony Brook will end up.

What kind of athletic budget do we need to get in the A-10?

Any chance of the America East stealing some state schools like Delaware or Rhode Island (with those schools staying in the CAA for football) and expanding the America East? With the CAA taking some hits perhaps joining them for all sports right now isn't the best move?

Edited by UA_MA_2000

MAC is my preference too. I see Stony Brook going there. I hope we can also but we need to help ourselves like pulling in state dollars for facilities.

As an interim step I wonder if the CAA is a good step. I think it us as the AE is adrift with no direction. I see the AE getting worse not better.

Short run to the CAA. Long run to the MAC. That should be the goal.

What kind of athletic budget do we need to get in the A-10?

Any chance of the America East stealing some state schools like Delaware or Rhode Island (with those schools staying in the CAA for football) and expanding the America East? With the CAA taking some hits perhaps joining them for all sports right now isn't the best move?

Rhode Island is in the A10 - the league everyone is trying to get into right now. They're not going anywhere.

Delaware left the AEast to go to the CAA. They aren't coming back.

Rhode Island is our closest peer in the A10 - larger state full scholarhsip football playing school - and their budget is $25m or so a year.

George Mason - the newest addition to the A10 - does not have football and spends about $18m per year.

We spent about $15m in 2011-2012, which will increase of course with football rides, Title IX compliance, and the stadium. But it will definitely be less than $20m.

Stony Brook spends about $20m.