UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the CAA losing football members (and no more "Big East" football), the time is now for the America East to support football.

Absent the AE going the football route, I think sometimes the best action is no action. I suspect our CAA/football and AE/all-sports membership will be the status quo for several years.

These are trying times. Someone famous once said that or something close to it. UA has great leadership. I'm confident that it will work through the problems and we will continue up the ladder of success. The Universities student atheletes will continue to face the highest level of competition. And, they will have opportunities to take on the big dogs.

Indeed. I think we are positioned well.

We've enjoyed considerable success in several sports.

We've demonstrated a commitment to facilities.

We have a new leader who believes in athletics.

We have 20k students at a popular state university in a good sized media market.

I gotta believe we look great to several conferences and schools who share those characteristics.

This trend is scary... Anyone who is anyone is looking to get out of the fcs asap... There are only so many schools the mac is gonna take... I hope we aren't to late with our facilities etc. Need to start on the next phase asap.... 15k is minimum for fbs... Correct? How soon before fcs = d2?

The answer is moving to FBS. FCS is falling apart. Clearly it won't end tomorrow so we have a few years but our 5 year plan shoud to be to get out of FCS and into the MAC. I firmly believe that is the best solution to this realignment.

Forgive my football ignorance, but I'm curious as to why the concern that the FCS might be in the process of falling apart? Despite a couple schools moving up, doesn't the FCS still total over 120 football schools (roughly the same as FBS)?

Or perhaps with some of the more reputable programs at the FCS level moving to FBS, FCS football is taking a hit in terms of status, etc.?

Edited by UA_MA_2000

The answer is moving to FBS. FCS is falling apart. Clearly it won't end tomorrow so we have a few years but our 5 year plan shoud to be to get out of FCS and into the MAC. I firmly believe that is the best solution to this realignment.

Forgive my football ignorance, but I'm curious as to why the concern that the FCS might be in the process of falling apart? Despite a couple schools moving up, doesn't the FCS still total over 120 football schools (roughly the same as FBS)?

Or perhaps with some of the more reputable programs at the FCS level moving to FBS, FCS football is taking a hit in terms of status, etc.?

Status, yes, but that's always been going on. But since you now can't move to FBS without an invitation from an existing conference, there's a scramble to move now before every league is full. Whether that restriction will hold up legally in the future is an open question.

Is FBS a realistic goal in 5 years? 10? Aside from BFF expanding to 15k+, what else do we need to do to get there?

I used to be a bit ambivelent towards FBS but now I feel that we should be focusing our efforts towards that goal...and sooner rather than later.

Is FBS a realistic goal in 5 years? 10? Aside from BFF expanding to 15k+, what else do we need to do to get there?

First is the invitation to another conference.

We've got enough sports (16). There's a minimum of 200 grants-in-aid (or $4 million in grants) over all sports, anybody know if we'll be there when we go to 85 FB scholarships? Keeping compliant with Title IX.

The rest is in the not-required-but-you'd-better-if-you-want-to-be-seen-as-serious department - more coaches, overall budget, marketing

I can't speak to all the details about FBS requirements but it certainly is very possible.

Think of all the universities that spent almost no time in FCS or went directly to FBS. A few examples come to mind....

Georgia State (A year on CAA football)

UNCW (direct to FBS)

USF (direct to FBS)

Even if I'm slightly off there are a number of examples of direct or near direct to FBS

My understanding is that Delaware is NOT in play for the A-Ten. This really comes down to where JMU ends up. That will char the course for the other CAA teams.

As for the article; it's poorly written. Sure...teams are making a run to FBS...but the Top leagues (B1G, Pac-12, SEC, the ACC (for now) will be running the show. The other schools are playing for breadcrumbs. In the past, the FCS has lost Marshall, USF, Boise, etc...and it has survived. If a run goes on FBS, e.g. Montana, NDSU, etc...then you will see FBS re-classify.

In this instance, it is important we build up our program so we can be back with the second group, which could end up being the MAC, Sun Belt, etc.