UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Have fun in the Incredible Shrinking CAA. Say hello for us to all the other former America East schools over there.........one of you is bound to get an NCAA bid out of the CAA sooner or later as those are the only schools that will be left! :)

Edited by mainejeff

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun in the Incredible Shrinking CAA. Say hello for us to all the other former America East schools over there.........one of you is bound to get an NCAA bid out of the CAA sooner or later as those are the only schools that will be left! :)

With us gone who knows... Maybe even maine can win something...

Unless I missed something in the discussion, we're still in the AE. CAA Football is a separate conference and still beats the NEC by a mile. Just going full scholly and playing FBS will be worth it if/until FBS cuts off FCS.

As far as CAA all sports we'll see. I 'd jump if SBU does so as well but not alone.

With us gone who knows... Maybe even maine can win something...

Not as long as we have Woodward at the helm!

Unless I missed something in the discussion, we're still in the AE. CAA Football is a separate conference and still beats the NEC by a mile. Just going full scholly and playing FBS will be worth it if/until FBS cuts off FCS.

As far as CAA all sports we'll see. I 'd jump if SBU does so as well but not alone.

Why not alone? You need the Seawolves to hold your hand? If the CAA is everything that it's cracked up to be........you don't need anyone else as just being in the CAA will be enough!

Edited by mainejeff

Jeff...honestly, I like your stuff most times...but you are acting like a grumpy old man right now. Yes, we know Maine's in a tight spot. No, none of think the CAA is that great. Yes, the CAA is a stepping stone to a higher level. Yes, we are concerned with the FBS/FCS makeup. Yes, while not ideal, if we had to move to the CAA to ensure we are in the highest pecking order of whatever comes of this FBS/FCS battle royale, most of us would begrudgingly support the move.

So please, give it a rest.

Jeff...honestly, I like your stuff most times...but you are acting like a grumpy old man right now. Yes, we know Maine's in a tight spot. No, none of think the CAA is that great. Yes, the CAA is a stepping stone to a higher level. Yes, we are concerned with the FBS/FCS makeup. Yes, while not ideal, if we had to move to the CAA to ensure we are in the highest pecking order of whatever comes of this FBS/FCS battle royale, most of us would begrudgingly support the move.

So please, give it a rest.

You are already in the CAA for football. Are you saying that being in the CAA for all sports is going to help you make a move to an FBS conference? Me thinks that some of you Albany fans are a bit delusional (on the FBS football perspective) right now. And as far as all sports go........the CAA might not exist in a couple of years so that point might end up becoming moot. Honestly, Albany fans are the only ones that I see clamoring for CAA all-sports admittance right now........everyone else including many current CAA fans seem to be running for the hills.

Edited by mainejeff

Jeff...you know I am not delusional, so cut back on the rhetoric. If you read between the bull$iena posted on the boards...what SOME UA fans are suggesting is that a move to the CAA could help move us up to a new conference.

I am not so sure...I am 50-50. But if the TV deal stays the same, which who knows if it will, then UA would get more exposure on the NBC Sports Network and that MAY help us move up.

That is what people are saying here. Personally, I don't believe UD is going anywhere.

Jeff,

What would be your answer for a department such as UA's who dominates the commissioner cup standing now that BU is out (we are also in 2nd or 3rd) and is looking to grow? Seems as if out one side of your mouth you are slamming the AE for being a conference with little to no foresight and no direction and then slamming anyone who looks to get out of it.

If you were a UA fan...what would be your 5/10 plan? If you'll allow me to phrase it this way...some our discussions here and contemplating (note almost no one is calling to flee the AE ASAP) such a move can be phrased as a vote of no-confidence in the AE rather then some delusional ramblings on how awesome the CAA is. We know it's been cut down to size pretty good...we know! Quite frankly, two or three years ago this is a clear cut move...today, not so much.

You provide no answers just playing both sides of the fence.

Edited by Clickclack

I don't see Albany as having the facilities or financing to move up to anything beyond CAA(FCS) football and AE-like all-sports right now. Quite frankly, I would expect to see Stony Brook move somewhere WAY before Albany ever does. AE Commish Cups are nice (god knows I'd love for Maine to be near the top of the standings right now!) but quite frankly, "the Cup" doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.........unless you consider parlaying it into Patriot League membership like BU did. ;)

The one thing that I would HATE to see right now is for Albany and Stony Brook to jump ship and mess up the possibility of getting all of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic mid-sized publics together under one roof. The CAA will NEVER invite Maine to the party.........but they are on the verge of being decimated to the point where Delaware and Towson will have no choice but to move to America East. If I were an Albany fan, I would not want to move from AE to the CAA for 3 reasons:

1. Already a member of CAA Football

2. Delaware and Towson not worth disassociating from other Northeast publics

3. $1 million buyout for a conference that Albany could end up being "stuck" in.

Edited by mainejeff

Well, you'd be wrong. From a finance perspective...there are some big hitters out there that I would gather could/would donate sums of money if the words "FBS" followed. Will that happen...who knows. I certaintly don't.

That aside, Albany is already looking at expanding the football stadium, building an indoor performance facility, will have a 2500 seat track and field stadium (brand new), etc. etc. The President is VERY pro-sports.

That said, I don't think UA or SBU are going ANYWHERE in the near future other than with a new conference that will resemble the old yankee conference if minds started to think smarter rather than impulse. The CAA football schools need to form an all-sport conference and be done with it.

The hoops schools need to do the same (CAA and AE).

Each could pick up solid members (Monmouth, CCSU...maybe Bryant if committed to building facilities) in the football realm...and the hoops league would be very nice.

Edited by Dane96