UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been curious about our SUNY conference mates - SBU and Bing. I've gone under the assumption we would probably move someplace with SBU and likely Bing. That's a lot of spots a potential new conference would need to have open.

I don't expect a package deal. I think there is a chance SBU pulls away alone.

I think there is a better chance both UA and SBU pull away leaving BU alone. UA and SBU have had significantly more success than BU. UA and SBU also have football as their driver.

I think BU may be odd man out.

Looks like James Madison is going FBS after all. Off to the Sunbelt. This will put the CAA under a lot of pressure.

I'd be open to an all sports invite IF Stony Brook did as well. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/30/4165146/conference-realignment-wku-c-usa-jmu

sbnation is not a very reliable source....

This may be a really stupid question but indulge me...what's stopping the CAA from saying we as a conference are going to start offering football scholarships at the FBS level in effect becoming another FBS conference? Is it any more then institutional commitment from all members?

This may be a really stupid question but indulge me...what's stopping the CAA from saying we as a conference are going to start offering football scholarships at the FBS level in effect becoming another FBS conference? Is it any more then institutional commitment from all members?

Is questionable whether the current NCAA rules allow it. You have to have an FBS conference invitation to transition from FCS to FBS.

It's been proposed on message boards for various leagues; the usual answer is that you just can't, it's against NCAA rules. If a league wanted to, there'd have to be a lawsuit on some grounds. When there were a lot of I-A independents, you could do it, but now with all bowl games having contracts with conferences, and the rule requiring an invitation from an existing league, it can't be done. If the existing conferences fill up and finances squeeze full-scholly FCS leagues, I could see something happening.

Anyway beside the necessary football scholarships, FBS-level requires a minimum of 16 sports (vs. 14 for FCS), at least 200 total scholarships (or $4 million worth), and eight teams minimum in the conference.

I like your question ClickClack. Maybe someone in the know can answer it.

On a similar question, what is required to start a new conference? It seems to me if other FBS conferences follow the B1G and prohibit FCS games there will be heavy demand to upgrade to FBS. As it stands the country and northeast particularly is short on entry level FBS conferences. I know Stony Brook will be wanting to upgrade. I hope Albany follows them.

The issue is a shortage of FBS conferences. Can the CAA reclassify as FBS if the member institutions agree?

What stops FCS institutions from creating a new FBS conference?

An article I saw I believe said there was 10 FCS upgrades to FBS during this realignment phase.

There has to be another 10 that may eventually want to upgrade especially if FBS cuts off the guaranteed money ($$) games to FCS.

Most of what's left in SoCon and CAA will want an entry level FBS league in that event. What then?

I like your question ClickClack. Maybe someone in the know can answer it.

On a similar question, what is required to start a new conference? It seems to me if other FBS conferences follow the B1G and prohibit FCS games there will be heavy demand to upgrade to FBS. As it stands the country and northeast particularly is short on entry level FBS conferences. I know Stony Brook will be wanting to upgrade. I hope Albany follows them.

The issue is a shortage of FBS conferences. Can the CAA reclassify as FBS if the member institutions agree?

What stops FCS institutions from creating a new FBS conference?

Just a note, the Big 10 is not banning FCS games. I believe those comments were one AD saying he hopes it happens. Plus there will always be FBS-FCS games as long as those classifications exist. The question really is, how long will they exist?

Barry Alvarez is an AD but he's also the B1G commissioner. They agreed no more FCS games.

If other conferences feel the same need to do so it will significantly impact FCS. The money $$$ and excitement around playing FBS will be hard to replace. One Northwestern game really helps a team like New Hampshire.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1916263

The Big Ten has agreed to no longer schedule Football Championship Subdivision opponents during non-conference play, Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said Tuesday during an appearance on his radio show.

"The non-conference schedule in our league is ridiculous," Alvarez said, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "It's not very appealing.

"So we've made an agreement that our future games will all be (Football Bowl Subdivision) schools. It will not be FCS schools."

Barry Alvarez is an AD but he's also the B1G commissioner. They agreed no more FCS games.

If other conferences feel the same need to do so it will significantly impact FCS. The money $$$ and excitement around playing FBS will be hard to replace. One Northwestern game really helps a team like New Hampshire.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1916263

I stand corrected. I thought it was discussion only. Didnt know the rest of the league agreed.

Edited by danefan