UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Patience is a virtue" - we haven't put one fanny in a seat yet.

"Build it and they will come" - maybe???

Let's get in the stadium, play a year or two in CAA FB and then decide if we are ready for an "All Sports" move.

Remember the gras is always greener somewhere else - ask Hofstra!!!!!

I am hoping we make a move but I want it to be the right move and not just moving for the sake of moving!!!!

hard to answer. depends on what kind of caa we'd be getting into. I am really happy with caa football but I can go either way with the remaining sports. not thrilled with what is happening with the caa but also wish the ae had some vision. adding umass-lowell proves they are not ready to take it to the next level.

"Patience is a virtue" - we haven't put one fanny in a seat yet.

"Build it and they will come" - maybe???

Let's get in the stadium, play a year or two in CAA FB and then decide if we are ready for an "All Sports" move.

Remember the gras is always greener somewhere else - ask Hofstra!!!!!

I am hoping we make a move but I want it to be the right move and not just moving for the sake of moving!!!!

We're not talking about football being an issue. The stadium is going to be rocking and rolling, and UA football is going places....

with or without the rest of the sports programs changing leagues.

Now, for the other most important sport.... men's basketball. Would the program benefit from the change?

Would exposure of UAlbany increase in the CAA... probably so, especially with the current tv deals.

Would there be enough exposure to justify the move?

Would it do more to help build and sustain a respectable attendance and have SEFCU filled on a regular basis? Who knows,

there are other factors into building a strong, loyal fanbase.

One thing to consider, like the maddogger stated, the CAA adds current D1 schools... the AE seems to add D2 schools.

The CAA seems to have more vision. The CAA definitely has the history of dominant fcs football to bolster its reputation as well.

Is it a better stepping stone to bigger and better conferences? Is having AE or CAA better to have on our athletics department resume?

I'd have to say the CAA is a half step higher than the AE when all is said and done.

Edited by uofalbany

I know it's unpopular but I think UA and its fans better show some patience.

I'd love for UA to go FBS in football or wind up in the A10 but........

....Is it a better stepping stone to bigger and better conferences? Is having AE or CAA better to have on our athletics department resume?

I'd have to say the CAA is a half step higher than the AE when all is said and done. - uaoalbany

All I say is "look before you leap" - what direction is the CAA headed, to me half a step is no step!!!!!

.... We're not talking about football being an issue. The stadium is going to be rocking and rolling, and UA football is going places....

with or without the rest of the sports programs changing leagues.....

What do you consider "rocking and rolling"????? Give me a legitimate # per game for next year without counting the 1st game at the stadium!!!!

Where is football headed without the other sports?????? FB has 1/3 of a stadium - big 1st step but alot more must transpire before FB goes anywhere.

Two years ago I might've gone for the CAA, but now? What has their 'vision' gotten them? A lower rating than AE with their top teams leaving, a league with Drexel, UNC Wilmington, Northeastern, Hofstra - none of those do anything for me. Delaware, W&M, Towson maybe, but is that enough to build a league around?

And if football isn't an issue, this poll should have been in the winter or general forums. If it is an issue ( 'dominant fcs football to bolster its rep'), the AE now has more fb teams than the CAA, which only has a name left

I said the CAA is probably a half step higher, I haven't said that I'd favor a move or not. One half step may not be too significant - I'm not thrilled about the b-ball schools in the CAA. They do have more success in the ncaa tournament over their history than the AE - speaking of the past. As for their future, who the $iena knows. I'd certainly be hesitant. After the current shakeup, the leagues are probably fairly equal basketball wise.

Whether or not the stadium is filled to the rim, won't change the fact that football will be going deep into the fcs playoffs before

we know it. I wouldn't be surprised to see UA football challenge for a national championship this decade. I'm not talking

about moving to the fbs. Being a top fcs team is 'going places' in my opinion. Look at sbu, they almost made it into the 3rd round already.

And I believe we will have more success than them in the future.

By me presenting questions does not mean that I'm favoring one move or another, it means there are alot of questions out there regarding

such a decision.

Does the CAA have a better reputation?

I wonder this... if UA stayed in the AE and played CAA football.... stony brook went to the CAA in all sports.... and both schools had virtually the

same amount of success in all sports, which school would get an invite to a better league before the other?

Edited by uofalbany

Does the CAA have a better reputation?

I wonder this... if UA stayed in the AE and played CAA football.... stony brook went to the CAA in all sports.... and both schools had virtually the

same amount of success in all sports, which school would get an invite to a better league before the other?

Can the CAA, now missing Old Dominion, George Mason, VCU, and probably James Madison, maintain that reputation for any length of time into the future? Does it have any chance to climb back to the 11-13 ranking in basketball when it's led by Drexel and Northeastern? I'd say it's a tossup as to which league gets the next NCAA win, and in choosing between UA and SB, which conference they're in is almost irrelevant.

It may seem irrelevant, but reality and perception are two different beasts. CAA's past success may linger in the minds of many for a long time.... even if the CAA loses Mason & VCU and doesn't bounce back completely. Most don't know what an America East is.. these items could influence an invite.

Part of the problem is that the CAA keeps shaking itself up..... is JMU and/or Deleware leaving or staying?

Edited by uofalbany

If both JMU and Deleware leave, and the CAA doesn't show immediate signs of countering the loss, with the addition of a handful of schools who have both football and basketball and whom have proven success in those sports, then I'd then say hell no.

We do need patience and due diligence, but do need to have the juevos to make a decision if presented with an option.

What's the future in the AE? Say want you will but the caa is significantly better at marketing their constituent members... The ae is invisible... Caa was a bit to successful for their own good....

Having said that, there are big concerns going forward with the caa should they call... Not a slam dunk by any means as it was a few years ago.... I voted yes in large part because I see no future in the AE. Caa is losing teams to big time conferences.... Bu went to the Patriot...

As with coaches moving up same can be said for programs... Some leagues/schools are better equipped as a launching pad. The ae is not...!

I voted yes simply because maybe wasn't an option.... I'm about as 50/50 as you can get.... Gun to my head I'd probably gnash my teeth and go...

Caa is losing teams to big time conferences.... Bu went to the Patriot...

As with coaches moving up same can be said for programs... Some leagues/schools are better equipped as a launching pad. The ae is not...!

Good point. That being said, will it be the same launching pad after losing these programs? Who knows, but the AE will almost certainly never be.

Caa is losing teams to big time conferences.... Bu went to the Patriot...

My point exactly... We know what the ae is... How many times have they punted on ae football, even know they do nothing... As far as we can tell.

Good point. That being said, will it be the same launching pad after losing these programs? Who knows, but the AE will almost certainly never be.

hard to answer. depends on what kind of caa we'd be getting into. I am really happy with caa football but I can go either way with the remaining sports. not thrilled with what is happening with the caa but also wish the ae had some vision. adding umass-lowell proves they are not ready to take it to the next level.

Really? A Northeast mid-sized public with excellent facilities in the heart of the conference footprint. Remind who else you would have added???

I said the CAA is probably a half step higher, I haven't said that I'd favor a move or not. One half step may not be too significant - I'm not thrilled about the b-ball schools in the CAA. They do have more success in the ncaa tournament over their history than the AE - speaking of the past.

Former AE members Delaware, Drexel, Hofstra, Towson and Northeastern are 0-55 in their combined quest for an NCAA tourney berth since they joined the CAA. Now that all of the good basketball programs have left the league.......they should have a good shot.