UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the bottom line is the NORTHEAST needs to do something with football. There is a real need and an opportunity, both in the name of economy of travel and history of program. To let Maine, New Hampshire and others and yes Albany and Stonybrook (even though much of their histories are sub DI) go south or midwest would be a crime. I do not know if a northern CAA, or AmEast, or a reborn Yankee Conference is the answer; but if the AD's and presidents do not see the opportunity here they are missing the obvious. An all sports conference with football and non football playing members, but with traditional quality northeast academics is in my opinion a no brainer!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with your second part.

I absolutely am upset about the thought of moving without SBU. THEY ARE OUR RIVAL. I think the CAA is being shortsighted with Drexel, NU, Hofstra and a 4th team blocking the move. I don't buy the argument that SBU may move up to the MAC (proposed by some in the CAA circles). Frankly, our new President would go NUTS if SBU got the money to expand to 20k seats without us getting the same. So why not move together if that were the case.

I am also torn because I love the AE from a perspective that I can see the games.

If we DO Move up...and we DO make moves to make us a SOLID CAA team (investment), I like it from the TV perspective and the fact that we would be prepared for another jump up.

Here's what I think is going down: I think we A) Want to stay above or at the same level as Siena (e.g. if they go to the A-10); B) We realize that FCS is going to change and that there will be a need to increase our football commitment if we are to remain with our CAA "Jone's." The CAA will move into that second tier (lower FBS, higher FCS) and we will need finances and stadiums to do it.

The AE is stagnent with growth, and I don't blame the Commissioner. I blame the Presidents. In the CAA, we will have to commit or we will be a doormat. So I think we will commit.

Check out my full AE Board post on the subject.

Edited by Dane96

I'm upset that SBU won't go with us...also to caution we have not accepted the invite but will go through an internal review process (a few weeks) so not to put the cart in front of the horse just yet. I've always felt that UA and SBU are and should be a package deal. Sad to see them blocked like this...

If the financial commitment comes around I approve this move...to not further commit but move will be suicide....

Edited by Clickclack

Hofstra is SBU's Siena. Pretty shameful and short-sighted that they (possibly) blocked them.

Not thrilled with making the move without SBU, but being a full-sport member of CAA is a nice upgrade for us. As long as we have the same commitment to dominate that conference like we've done in the AE, I am all for it.

Edited by madDOG

How is CAA basketball the same level as Atlantic 10 basketball?

It's not...but this year not withstanding....the CAA basketball even with what's left is better then the AE who in a GREAT year for us tops out in the low 20's. Lets put it this way...the gap from the A-10 to the AE is HUGGGEEEE....the gap from the A-10 is smaller...

However, UA isn't considering this because LCC is potentially going to the A-10...we do our own thing as we should.

Edited by Clickclack

The CAA is a definite step up from AEast all the way around.

The question is whether its a large enough step up to really make a differnece for the University at Albany as a whole. Changing conferences is not an athletic decision alone.

There are definitely universities in the CAA that I would like to see us associate with.

Delaware

William & Mary

Drexel

Northeastern

All very good academic institutions.

And do the rumors also confirm the SB definitely won't get an invite while UA will?

I'm afraid we'd jump at an all-sports CAA chance and SB will be left behind...but then ultimately do better with an A-10 invite in a couple of years.

What that type of thinking...you can sit on the sidelines forever....it's telling that by all accounts SBU want's to go but can't. If we wait for something better to come along...how many decades is that going to be?