UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Name Change

It's been a long time since I last added anything to this Forum. Didn't have much to say, but I was starting to get very annoyed with this discussion about name change. I was about to write when Dane Pound posted his comment. He expressed my sentiments exactly. It's not the name that makes one's reputation, it's what you do on the playing fields, courts and tracks. UAlbany is doing pretty well in that department considering the relatively short time they have been in D1. I like the name UAlbany Great Danes. Keep it! And for those who think people don't know where Albany is I'll relate this brief story. I was on the tiny Pacific island of Guam a few years ago visiting my son who was in the Navy. One evening we went to the local farmer's market; I was wearing my UAlbany t-shirt - no mention of New York on it. I stopped at one of the vendors, a native Chimorran. He glanced at my t-shirt and asked, "You're from New York?"

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really hate to lose our Albany identity. I know for a fact that UWM [university of Wisconsin Milwaukee] a +30000 student research university with a world renown medical college , takes it pretty personal when people think they are a branch of Madison {a city less than half the size of Milwaukee}. UWM does not have a football team and competes mid major other sports, but it is every bit as good a school and maybe better than it's "big ten" brother at Madison.

Also, New York University or NYU is in a "small" downstate city near New Jersey that competes DIII athletically. I want Albany in our name somehow and I think people will find us. Duke knows where we are, and a lot of people in Australia do too.

Edited by dslyank

I have to agree with Dane Pound--I like UA. The SUNY system will never allow us to be "The University of New York", as the system is made up of a multitude of individual units. Besides "What's in a Name?" As a student over 50 years ago I went to: Albany State, NYS College for Teachers at Albany, SUCE-State University College of Education at Albany, and graduated from SUNYA--State University of New York at Albany. I played for the Peds and now cheer for the Great Danes--the only school in the nation with the Great Dane as a mascot. However, for a $10 million dollar contribution to Albany athletics, I will consider a University name change and mascot change.

A lot is in a name. The entire field of marketing is based on "just a name".

The Chevy Nova was a failed car launch because of its name.

New Coke failed because of its name.

Try saving the "jungle" as opposed to the rain forest.

Try saving "killer whales" as opposed to Orcas.

Even environmentalists knew names mattered and no one gives a crap about the jungle or killer whales.

Try selling Kennesaw State versus University of Georgia. Who chooses Kennesaw? Really?!?

Tell a recruit in Texas your from New York versus Albany. Lets see your batting average for landing recruits. There is a reason both Buffalo and Syracuse are emphasing "New York".

No disrespect but Buffalo brings to mind a cold snowy rust belt town. New York brings to mind the city that never sleeps, a great place.

Marketing matters. Ignore it at your own peril.

I understand and agree with some things socal.

We've been building this Albany / UAlbany brand for 12 years. I think people are beginning to know us.

Keep winning 6-10 championships a year, and we will continue to grow. We have been the sleeping giant.

NYC is a $ienahole, let's face it.

Syracuse is actually emphasizing NY? Then they are a pathetic joke if they need to do it.

Keep UAlbany and throw in the NYS logo here and there.

A little while back it was mentioned in an article or something Pres. Jones said (can't remember which) how much of our operating budget comes from the state. Does anyone have the %? I seem to remember it being in the 20% range but I could be off...

I know that student fees contribute 42% to the athletic budget.

A little while back it was mentioned in an article or something Pres. Jones said (can't remember which) how much of our operating budget comes from the state. Does anyone have the %? I seem to remember it being in the 20% range but I could be off...

I know that student fees contribute 42% to the athletic budget.

I believe it was 13%

On SU, their 'NY's college team' campaign was all about securing NYC. Rutgers' football success saw booming ratings in NYC so SU tried pushing back. The campaign's main image was the wording overlaying the Manhattan skyline, which they displayed on public spaces and taxi cabs. But it wasn't statewide. There's been no sign of it anywhere here in WNY and SU doesn't seem to care. SU's football ratings are miniscule here and regular-season MBB is not much better. Their tournament ratings haven't been any better than what Niagara and Bona games drew, lower than UB games.

And Brockport only changed their short-form name to The College at Brockport, not university. They did so to appear more attractive and compete better with Geneseo.

UB fans aren't really sure what's going to happen any better than you. It's a young, hot-shot AD who's making all sorts of surprising moves and annoucements each week, firing coaches, new projects, new ticket pricing structures, a Black Friday day at the Ralph. Today we moved our FB and MBB to another local sports station with better market exposure. We're all unsure and the opinion is very split about how Buffalo should or will be used. It could end up brilliant, making no difference, or leaving us embarrassed for attempting something too bold.

Edited by UBBulls

• 1 month later...

UB's new court...

130529125730_UBfloor.jpg

I understand what they are trying to do but man that is ugly as sin...Also comfortable with where UA is right now...other schools are doing things like this (gimmicks) and UA with a lunch-pale type of attitude keeps winning more then the rest of the so cold "flagships" combined...fact is we deliver and they bloviate...Football stadium is a huge shot in the arm and further legitimizes our athletic department...Let's renovate SEFCU next to further help M/W basketball win...

Honestly UB continues to embarrass the SUNY system with their football program. Obviously they went to big to soon without properly growing the program and are a complete joke....

Edited by Clickclack

I like the emphasis on NEW YORK, but the outline of the state is huge! Not a fan.

Rutgers doesn't emphasize New Jersey and they have instant recognition. Keep plugging "Albany" and we can do the same. Maybe drop the U.

I think it has style- people take notice of NY, and the state outline is a common graphic on courts (UNC, for example).

That said, it is far too big...and they really make Buffalo an afterthought.

Albany could use some elements of this, and do it much better. I've always thought some play on being THE state capital team would be worth exploring.