UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

21 minutes ago, jimbo said:

And I don’t understand the need to be so different. WSOC and WBB are every bit as physical as the men’s games. Women’s ice hockey is physical as well. Let em play!

It wasn't until 1971 that the AAU changed girls/women's basketball from the six-on-six, halfcourt game to something almost the same as the men's game. 

https://womenshoopsblog.wordpress.com/womens-basketball-timeline-since-1891/

Women's ice hockey isn't very physical.  The reason every girl I ever coached in youth hockey got a d1 scholarship.  They played with the boys and played full contact hockey.  Transitioning to the women's game was easy for them.

There is an old saying "You can lead a horse to.water however; you cannot make the horse ?drink."  It is apparent that many are not aware some women events come at no cost . ..so how you spend your time and $ is your business.. As a Great Dane supporter for nearly 50 years... I feel it is my duty to promote the broader interests of UAlbany sports not some misguided parochial interest ... UAlbany women desire the same support.... Attendance is one way.

34 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

There is an old saying "You can lead a horse to.water however; you cannot make the horse ?drink."  It is apparent that many are not aware some women events come at no cost . ..so how you spend your time and $ is your business.. As a Great Dane supporter for nearly 50 years... I feel it is my duty to promote the broader interests of UAlbany sports not some misguided parochial interest ... UAlbany women desire the same support.... Attendance is one way.

I think you misunderstood the posters or just glossed over their opinion. It has nothing to do with the sport being a WOMEN'S sport and being somehow sexist (assuming that's what you were getting at with 'parochial')...it's simply, by the nature of the rules governing the play on the field, not watchable. It could be 6ft dudes out there and it wouldn't be watchable due to the same rules.

This is why I can't bring myself to watch WBB even though I'm a huge basketball fan. They need to lower the rim so the girls can throw down some sick jam's and oop's...having a 10ft hoop and most of them looking like they are throwing around a 10lb medicine ball just absolutely KILLS the game for me. Ever watch the kids playing on the SEFCU floor after a home game? Or the little kids they have at halftime? That's what the women's game looks like to me. Might be an unpopular opinion but it is what it is.

That being said, I'm still super happy to see them do well, win AE titles, etc. and will gladly chat about their success with the casual fan who might not like men's sports. Their game is just tough to watch.

Edited by Eli
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think we all desperately need some actual games to talk about! My choice of sports consumption, whether UA or professional, is based on what I find interesting. I did not watch a single NBA, NHL or MLB game so far in 2018....could not care less. Never been to a UA softball game, XCountry meet, track and field meet, baseball game, WLax game, field hockey game, etc. Dont watch “reality” shows on TV. My choice. So I’m not going to suffer through games, women’s or men’s, that don’t interest me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

I think we all desperately need some actual games to talk about! My choice of sports consumption, whether UA or professional, is based on what I find interesting. I did not watch a single NBA, NHL or MLB game so far in 2018....could not care less. Never been to a UA softball game, XCountry meet, track and field meet, baseball game, WLax game, field hockey game, etc. Dont watch “reality” shows on TV. My choice. So I’m not going to suffer through games, women’s or men’s, that don’t interest me. 

Yep. I can't wait for FB and MBB season to roll around. UA and pros. Dyin for some sports again. All I got right now is MotoGP (professional motorcycle racing)  but they only race like every other weekend so it's hard to wait lol.

7 hours ago, Eli said:

Yep. I can't wait for FB and MBB season to roll around. UA and pros. Dyin for some sports again. All I got right now is MotoGP (professional motorcycle racing)  but they only race like every other weekend so it's hard to wait lol.

Almost here. CAA Media Day is next Tuesday July 24 http://www.caasports.com/news/2018/7/16/caa-football-kicks-off-2018-season-with-media-day-on-july-24.aspx

Official football practice starts August 3

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think most of us here support UA women's sports. I know that personally I had never watched any women's sports until this website. I had, however, watched many girls' field hockey games at the school where I taught.

When you compare this forum's interest in women's sports, I think you will find it much higher than at other schools. May I bring up LCC's forum as an example.

I think the great majority of us here support the UA woman in successful sports, and I often bring up the caliber of our women in the classroom to non UA people.

• Thanks 3