UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Football Game 1 Saturday, August 31, 2024 7:00 PM vs LIU Sharks Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

23 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

Most close games come down to a handful of plays. LIU is a pretty good team. Our defense is not on the same level yet as last years D. I think we should run the qb more like we did last year with Poff. Pull the ball and take off. My understanding is Burkett can run. Roll him out as well and run or pass.

On another point I watched the Arkansas, UMiami and Michigan games. I didn’t see Juncaj, Poff or Hall get on the field at all. Arkansas crushed Arkansas Pine Bluff and would have thought Juncaj would got in. All three could be contributing to Albany instead of sitting on the bench in the big boy league. Just my 2 cents.

NIL money.  Poff is getting paid big time - don't know about the others.

My take on last night.  LIU is much better than I thought. Massive O Line a couple of really talented Running Backs.  They use a lot of trickery - a lot of miss direction.  We did know that going in.  Our defense was a worry for me all pre-season.  We had three guys starting who played past year - three. And one may be out for a long while again.  The tough thing about bringing in so many new guys who are really good players is getting them to leave their ego's behind and buy into the family/team concept.  All were stars on last year's teams. They are getting there. On offense Jared was a little conservative in play calling - the weather? New QB and receivers? Don't have the answers but I think it was a combination.  No scrimmages with teammates can ever make up for actual game experience.  They'll break it down with the players and move forward.  Could be a couple of tough weeks coming up.   I do believe that the guys will be better.

We did have a couple of shaky games last year but got through them and played better.  New Hampshire for example...  Towson...

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jimbo said:

Thanks. Maybe the game plan was just that. LIU had a decent game against Baylor just last season so I was expecting a win, but that they’d put up a fight. So many new bodies on D and the tackling machine no longer in the middle. Was the TD from the D a strip sack or something else?

The scoop/score is one of Channel 13 highlights

UAlbany defeats LIU 27-21 in season opener 
https://wnyt.com/big-board-sports/ualbany-defeats-liu-27-21-in-2024-season-opener/

Channel 6 includes McGee’s long TD 
https://cbs6albany.com/sports/content/ualbany-great-danes-start-season-strong-with-win-over-liu-sharks

Also Channel 10

https://www.news10.com/sports/saints-and-danes/ualbany-football-fends-off-long-island-university-in-season-opener

Edited by UAalum72

4 hours ago, MRuler 79 said:

Most close games come down to a handful of plays. LIU is a pretty good team. Our defense is not on the same level yet as last years D. I think we should run the qb more like we did last year with Poff. Pull the ball and take off. My understanding is Burkett can run. Roll him out as well and run or pass.

On another point I watched the Arkansas, UMiami and Michigan games. I didn’t see Juncaj, Poff or Hall get on the field at all. Arkansas crushed Arkansas Pine Bluff and would have thought Juncaj would got in. All three could be contributing to Albany instead of sitting on the bench in the big boy league. Just my 2 cents.

I think Juncaj is out with a concussion.  He was in the rotation prior to his injury. Hall made a silly move as did Poff and Hills (he did not get in much during the Wisconsin $iena show of a game).

3 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

NIL money.  Poff is getting paid big time - don't know about the others.

Poff is in for a big surprise...and I am VERY close to this situation.  I would expect his NIL money to be greatly reduced soon and it is not because of him but because of the collective.  I am almost 99% positive.  And, he won't be the only 'Cane affected. 

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

I think Juncaj is out with a concussion.  He was in the rotation prior to his injury. Hall made a silly move as did Poff and Hills (he did not get in much during the Wisconsin $iena show of a game).

Hills had a sack

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Poff is in for a big surprise...and I am VERY close to this situation.  I would expect his NIL money to be greatly reduced soon and it is not because of him but because of the collective.  I am almost 99% positive.  And, he won't be the only 'Cane affected. 

yep.  Hope he saved and invested most of it.

6 hours ago, Dane96 said:

AGREE. IMHO a lot of these mid major “stars” expecting big bucks are going to be in for a rude awakening. The money is going to dry up pretty quickly with only really big name players on really big name schools getting really significant dollars.  
In inside lacrosse analysis which I referenced recently on this blog and only partially understood seemed to indicate that nil will basically be a substitute for scholarship money, and simply reducing the schools schollie outlay. 

A month ago I had an after golf beer with a fellow who was very active in football alumni and fundraising at a northeast FBS school. The feeling at this particular school was that NIL $ was primarily going to be used for retention (hold on to your best players) and essentially scholarship expansion. So it may well come to pass that there won’t be so much cash flying around for luring transfers except for blue chip players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dane96 said:

I will admit I know literally zero about NIL, but what happens to Poff once the money dries up?  It doesn’t appear that he is becoming the starter anytime soon as the kid starting looked fantastic on Saturday and I don’t see Poff playing at all for the Canes. I could be wrong and I do not know the depth chart or situation at Miami. Does he hit the portal again or finish his career with the Canes as a backup?

I agree with Dane 96 I think Poff and the other 3 made a mistake. I am thrilled the kid is getting paid and wants to play at the highest level but the problem is he along with a few others are not playing and he is a great QB. 

Edited by MRuler 79

2 hours ago, MRuler 79 said:

I will admit I know literally zero about NIL, but what happens to Poff once the money dries up?  It doesn’t appear that he is becoming the starter anytime soon as the kid starting looked fantastic on Saturday and I don’t see Poff playing at all for the Canes. I could be wrong and I do not know the depth chart or situation at Miami. Does he hit the portal again or finish his career with the Canes as a backup?

I agree with Dane 96 I think Poff and the other 3 made a mistake. I am thrilled the kid is getting paid and wants to play at the highest level but the problem is he along with a few others are not playing and he is a great QB. 

According to a Miami website, Poff is 3rd on the depth chart.  Cam Ward who played at Incarnate Word then Washington St, signed at the U on Jan 13th.  Poff signed there on Jan 8th.  Did the staff tell him there was a solid transfer from the Pac12 possibly signing soon?  If not, they screwed him and Poff should have backed out.