UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stony Brook Feedback

If Stony Brook wasn't hot from downtown (9 for 16), I think the Danes win this one by 15-20 points even playing as poorly as they did. Once again, a concern for me the rest of the way is our three-point field goal defense. I think opponents are getting too many open looks from that area.

Brian Lillis played within the offense and scores 11 in 18 minutes. You really can't complain about anything he does. I expect a healthy Lillis challenges for a starting position next season with Iati. That should be some interesting competition considering both will be sophomores.

thats how i feel also. Santiago had like 20 pts, and i havent seen the stats, but i would have 12-15 of that is from 3 pt range. He can shoot those big time. But yea, the score does not dictate to me how much UA actually played in the 2nd half.

It was a frustrating first half, watching numerous shots ring out for UA. Credit must be given to SBU for the intensity of their defensive effort and their ability to hit the three. Santiago was so hot, he could have tossed in threes from the Exit 24 Toll Plaza. He probably never had a game like that in his career and may never again. It was the inside game for UA that got the victory, though a couple of threes by Levi late in the 2nd half were important. Rugged rebounding and put backs as well as drives by Jamar and Lucious were the keys. Kirsten has definitely improved over the course of the last 4 or 5 games. Still needs a better touch around the hoop but is making his presence felt.

Gotta love Lillis. I agree that he will be contending for a starting position next year if for no other reason than his tremendous court savvy and vision. He almost never makes a mistake and seemingly has eyes where most of us have ears. His scores on a couple of fast breaks point out how important positioning is on the break. This team is fast but I'm surprised how often they fail to complete the break. After watching Lillis, I conclude that it has a lot to do with where one positions himself to receive the ball. He has the sense to know exactly where that is.

Kudos to the RACC Rowdies, especially the guy who waved the flag throughout the second half. I saw him in the lobby after the game and he was dripping sweat like he just ran a marathon. Nevertheless, I was still disappointed with the size of the crowd. Can't use the excuse that it was too cold for a stroll from the dorms to the RACC. It was balmy for early February. This from a guy who remembers walking from Sayles Hall in minus 15 to the Armory to watch the Peds, along with 2000-2500 other fans. The apathy of the bulk of UA students is pathetic. So, it is great that there is a rabid core of RACC Rowdies - including members of this board - who are trying to wake up the masses. Thank you for your inspiring efforts.

i dont know what we can possibly do. We thinking of everything guys. I know Brian talked to one of you guys last night about flyers. I think the Big Purple Growl will be busy, but its on a saturday, so lets see what bs excuse students will give. I dont get some people.

The counter-argument to doing a better job of defending 3 pointers is that the "points in the paint" stat was something like 36-10, according to Wyland on the post game, which seems about right to me. The part of the game I found the most interesting was that Stony Brook's game plan emphasized getting back quickly on D, eliminating our fast breaks and forcing us into the half court offense, which they did pretty well, until there were a few seconds left in the possession, when Jamar was able to penetrate without much resistance.

The other best part is being able to sit here, reflect on the game and not know who to praise first between Jamar, Lillis, Levine and Zoellner. As in the Hartford game, I thought Zoellner played well in areas that don't always show up in the box score. I don't want to steal Patch's thunder, but it is correct to say that Zoellner's presence changes opposition's offensive sets.

On the Stony Brook side, I was impressed with Bobby Santiago; he's a lot quicker and has a more well rounded game than I previously realized.

1. Listened to the game and the crowd was very loud. Sounded like a pretty big crowd.

2. This is the second time that Albany has let a team shoot 3's like that. The first was against Binghamton. Northeastern made a bunch as well but they are better than Stony Brook and Binghamton. UA has to defend the 3 better.

3. I think free throws were key again. 1 for 2 in the first half and 12 for 17 in the second half. They got them in the 1 and 1 early and got them to the double penalty.

4. 14 offensive rebounds is amazing. They had 14 more shots than Stony Brook.

5. If someone can make perimeter shots, this team will be hard to beat.

6. If Lillis can make those perimeter shots, he is hard to stop.

7. Good to see Brent have 8 rebounds - Zoellner had 4 (3 offfensive).

You want to get students...this is how you do it....I hope the admin takes this to heart:

Go beyond the little spiel given at orientation. Let them sit for about 10 minutes and watch an "Athletic video" which features our great accomplishments and some packed crowds (ie. homecoming, growl etc.). Do this in the June, July sessions. Then inundate them with mailings over the summer. Every Terp (Statefan you may know better....because they used to do this...not sure if now) and Seminole fan gets a car sticker (the removable type) of a TERRAPIN and the SEMINOLE SPEAR respectively. I know that gets people pumped.

Send mailings to mom and dad ASAP. Then, when the students arrive in the fall for orientation, have some kind of welcome dinner/event, in which the players play a major part of it...whether its dunking booths...whatever. It's cheesey, but it gets the students aware of what is going on. Have the athletes speak...this is how the players become aligned with students. Have them MC the fall fest....i mean really, this isnt rocket science. Again...do some kind of video, etc.

This starts BEFORE UA STUDENTS ARRIVE. You get 200 each year....out of what, 2500 frosh, and that is 1000 kids in a four year cycle....thats when you start to build...because when 1000 kids see a 3/4 gym...they will realize...this is the big-time....then they come out more and tell the kids at home.

It is really that simple. It cannot be "event here, even there, promotion here"; IT MUST BE CONTINUOUS AND WITH A PLAN TOWARDS A FOUR YEAR CYCLE...not MISHY MASH into a one year event.

It can be done...if done right! I have so many other ideas....can you tell I did brand marketing for a bit? You know...i just thought of another thing....superimposing the fall, then winter/spring schedules on the food trays in the cafeteria/food courts (DO THEY DO THAT YET?? IF NOT...they should).

Santiago

I thought Santiago was very good as a freshman and then last year I felt he got screwed by Macarachuk.

Now he is needed again with no Munir and Beauford out. So he's looking very good.

Remember last night as well as Santiago shot it - 3 of his threes came late when the game was basically over.

GD84, don't get down on yourself. You are part of the core that will make it happen. It begins by talking about games, the players, the fun, etc. among your fellow students, in the dorms, cafeterias, before and after class but never during (sorry, that's from retired teacher). Some will begin to wonder what they are missing - of course some will never get it. Be consistent; get that core to all the games. Find the unabashed characters like the flag waving guy from last night. That kind of enthusiasm becomes contagious. We always had characters who got everyone psyched. Keep recruiting underclassmen for the group, i.e. rowdies, because continuity is critical. My wife was with me last night - first game she was at in a few years. She commented about the number of little kids who were at the game. So, there is some good news. These little tykes and tykesses are awed by what they see and will want to drag dad and hopefully mom, granddad, grandma, and uncle charlie to the games in the future.

on a note, many of you may not have heard of thefacebook.com...its a online website that allows students from hundreds of colleges aroundt he coutnry meet and talk with each other. Very popular on campus right now. Well Jamar Wilson is a member on it, and so am I. I sent him a message last night thanking him for coming over after the game and saying thanks to us. I told him we appreciate their play because they always paly with heart, and they are the true College Athletes, not worried about being superstars. I try telling people to go to these events. Im in the process of trying to become a fulltime DJ at WCDB, and if it works out, which i know Craig and Matt will help me with, im gonna try and promote and All-Ualbany Athletics show,if the beuracracy of CDB allows me. But i can tell you myself, Brain, Matt, Craig, Thorpe (HES THE FLAG GUY) and everyone else are gonna keep trying hard.

Which one of you guys came over to talk to Brian last night about offering to make 10,000 copies or something like that of RACC Rowdie flyers for us to post around campus?