UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany commits to the NEC through 2010.

This is the worst news that could come for Albany football. 3 more years of this bull $hit conference at this bull $hit level.

They obviously are not serious about moving higher until 2010!!!

I officially no longer believe anything that I hear at this point from our athletic dept!

Move up or fold!

This is the worst news that could come for Albany football. 3 more years of this bull $hit conference at this bull $hit level.

I officially no longer believe anything that I hear at this point from our athletic dept!

Move up or fold!

9341[/snapback]

I am so sick of this $ienaE. I no longer think McElroy and KERMIT THE FROG can co-exist. They are on two seperate thought tracks. Either way, SOMEONE BETTER STEP UP TO THE F'IN PLATE WITH THE REASONING BEHIND THIS.

I am sick to my stomach. Hey news flash.....STEP THE F UP or stop SCHEDULING 4 DIAA Scholly games. PATHETIC.

EXPLAIN THIS QUOTE FOR ME:

“Football has stability as a NEC member for the rest of this decade as we continue to upgrade the program." -Lee McElroy.

How on earth are we going to continue upgrading when we get hammered by full scholarship teams and the NEC wont allow us to give more than thirty rides. Further, even we choose to leave early, I am sure there will be a hefty fee. Not the way we should spend our resources. And is this school going to be able to raise money for a stadium by saying "NO MR. ALUM/CORPORATE Sponsor, we absolutely will sell out a game versus St. Francis in our new 12,000 seat stadium.

Now, if he comes FLAT THE F out and says we are putting money away to endow 55 scholarships by 2010...then I will open my limited checkbook. To think, I was going to give my tax return to the school to support the stadium.

WE JUST GOT PLAYED. I DONT WANT TO HEAR A WORD D2k............just let us be miserable on our own.

Edited by Dane96

Move up or fold!

9341[/snapback]

Four more years - through 2010. NEC Press Release

Extremely disappointing, unless either 1) the NEC increases the number of rides allowed, which I'd doubt except for when the commish said the NEC should be in the playoffs - the only way that happens is if counters increase to 45 or so

or

2) a buyout is cheaper than we think, because the NEC doesn't actually NEED Albany and Stony Brook.

I wouldn't want to fold football, but I get tired of the 'same as D-III' crap which will continue as long as the NEC stays at this level.

Admittedly the three of you who've previously posted follow this more closely than I do so this question may be naive. Is it possible the conference (NEC) is going to allow more scholarships to the 45 counter level Alum72 mentioned?

That way everyone would experience the "growing pains" of moving up together while still being able to compete for a conference championship. Just a thought.

I don't think it's likely - probably you need a majority of the all-sport members to approve a change, and SFUPA, SHU and others may not have the ambition or resources to increase the counters, but the fact that Stony did this with us may mean we're still cooperating in some way. As for the counters, I think they'll have to add some real scholarships, not just need-based, to compete for the top I-AA players, and the count has to go to 57 (90% of 63) before the game counts toward a bowl game for a I-A (and ratify the league as a 'real I-AA). 45 might make us competitive, but the league has to go beyond that to try to get an automatic playoff bid. At the rate things are moving, I may not live that long.

Assuming the quotes attributed to McElroy about budgeting $ for scholarships is true (I forget where I read the quotes), one possible explanation is that he felt like he had no choice.

1. Maybe there wasn't a conference available for UA to join in 2007 and he felt it was better to be in a conference than to be independent. Maybe he expects the buyout amount to be paid by whatever conference they join.

2. Maybe the SUNY leadership (would have to be at that level to impact UA and SB) told them they would have to fund scholarships through fundraising and they realized how difficult it would be.

3. Maybe there is a plan that we just aren't aware of. Who's sending the e-mail to get the real story?

This makes no sense.

1. Cancel the stadium - spend the money on academics to improve the schools academic profile. A stadium for a mid major is a waste of money - upgrade University Filed for $1.5 million and let it go.

2. Stop with the scheduling insanity. Give Ford a schedule where he can compete for the mid major championship.

I am kicking myself for not asking the question I wanted to ask at the Q&A session at the reunion! I was going to ask McElroy if UA was going to extend the NEC contract and he stopped taking questions right before that. He had to have known it was in the works, but he sure didn't give that one away.

I think we need to get some REAL answers from somone who knows whats going on and what the plan is. Why is it so secret anyway?

I definitly think that they need to relax with the scheduling if they are not trying to move to that level until 2010. That is five more years of being 8-2 at best. Not good enough to get fan support, which should now be the main concern.

I also agree that they should scrap the stadium idea. Build up University Field. The space is available for a stadium like Hofstra has and that would be more than sufficient.

At the rate things are moving, I may not live that long.

9345[/snapback]

I certainly hope you will. You just need to stop taking the cart when you're golfing. The walk is good for you.

There's actually an interesting discussion on Any Given Saturday about this. Albany and Stony Brook

At the rate things are moving, I may not live that long.

9345[/snapback]

I certainly hope you will. You just need to stop taking the cart when you're golfing. The walk is good for you.

There's actually an interesting discussion on Any Given Saturday about this. Albany and Stony Brook

9350[/snapback]

DP...you beat me to the punch; I like the way these guys are posing the contract situation at both schools.