UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Was Calhoun thoroughly outcoached ??

Having attended UAlbany when the Danes were Division 3 and Doc was the coach it is my opinion Will Brown ,with advice from Doc thoroughly outcoached Calhoun. I add Doc Sauers only because the Danes performance reminded of Sauers' coached teams. Even Calhoun said UCONN had not had such a extended period of poor play in the past 20 years. The final UCONN run during which they outscored the Danes by 26 was mainly due to the Danes total physical exhaustion.When UCONN began hitting 3 pointers at will, it was because they were incredibly wide open due to almost total fatigue on the Danes part.Did anyone notice how much time Williams had to get off those 3 pointers in the last 10 minutes.

During the first 25 mintues the UCONN front line, which decimated Syracuse twice during the regular season, was neutralized repeatedly by double and triple teams. When the big men passed it back out to the perimeter the Danes' guards were ready and caused many of the UCONN turnovers. Billy Packer commented how well the Danes played defense.If anyone would have predicted the game would be tied essentially at half time despite UCONN hitting close to 65% from the field, they would have been considered insane. I am biased but Will Brown, etc. coached a masterpiece. This is obviously just my opinion .Anyone have comments?

Just to add some perspective to Danes and Coach Brown's performance, NBAdraftnet.com has 4 UCONN players in their top 22 predicted draft picks according to their 2006 NBA mock draft and has a fifth UCONN player at 34. You can say the 2006 UCONN team has the potential to have five future NBA starters.

IMO, this game and games during the latter part of the season reflected the maturation of the team and growth of Will Brown. There were times early this year when the offensive schemes especially seemed very predictable. More recently, each game plan has been quite specific to the opponent and each has been very effective. The defensive scheme against UConn was brilliant. The offensive schemes also seemed to be more aggressive and attacking rather than relying too much on outside shooting as was often the case earlier, notably Harvard and Sacred Heart games. What continues to impress me most about Will Brown is his capacity to learn quickly and to adjust. These traits, along with his integrity, are going to make him an even greater coach than he already is. And I haven't even mentioned his patience, perseverence under immense pressure, ability to evaluate basketball talent, "can do" attitude, and honesty. We have a gold mine in Will Brown. But let's try and keep this a secret for at least five more years.

Coach Brown's comment of "We'll get better.." at the beginning of the season came to fruition. Offense and Defense progressed weekly. Zollner ended up doing what everyone was hoping for at the beginning of the season. Coach Brown improved with the team and was a calming influence. His use of time-outs in the UConn game was great.

Just a great season for some great young men.

When is our next game - I'm ready to go right now. I don't want this season to end. It has been so much fun. Over the last third of the season evrything seemed to be a UA DI first.

But I have to make one reply to gkzhukov regarding his statement.....

Having attended UAlbany when the Danes were Division 3 and Doc was the coach it is my opinion Will Brown ,with advice from Doc thoroughly outcoached Calhoun. I add Doc Sauers only because the Danes performance reminded of Sauers' coached teams.

Without a doubt Doc is the greatest coach in Danes history but to give him credit for the way the Danes played vs UCONN is a slap in the face to our present coaching staff.

Will Brown and his staff took the heat when the team was struggling and they and they alone deserve the credit for the success of this team.

When is our next game - I'm ready to go right now. I don't want this season to end. It has been so much fun. Over the last third of the season evrything seemed to be a UA DI first.

But I have to make one reply to gkzhukov regarding his statement.....

Having attended UAlbany when the Danes were Division 3 and Doc was the coach it is my opinion Will Brown ,with advice from Doc thoroughly outcoached Calhoun. I add Doc Sauers only because the Danes performance reminded of Sauers' coached teams.

Without a doubt Doc is the greatest coach in Danes history but to give him credit for the way the Danes played vs UCONN is a slap in the face to our present coaching staff.

Will Brown and his staff took the heat when the team was struggling and they and they alone deserve the credit for the success of this team.

13297[/snapback]

Will has the potential to be the greatest Coach in UA history. The man is likeable, can coach, show progression in maturity as a coach, and can recruit beyond belief. Plus, he has a great support team (his family) that seemingly will always be by his side.

The man is going to be a household name (unfortunately probably once he leaves UA) in the near future.

Just please stay at least 3-4 years.....

It was amazing that UA outscored UConn in the paint. Alot of that was because Jamar was the best player on the floor for most of the game, and made great decisions off his dribble penetration. I loved when Packer yelled "They can't handle him!" after Jamar hit the short jumper to make it 50-38.

Will on Dan Murphy today, said UConn had never been double-teamed in the post this year, we hadn't played a matchup zone all year, and UConn players looked a little confused.

DM tried to bait Will into saying that UConn wasn't interested in the game, but Will said that didn't last more than four or five minutes. By the first timeout Calhoun knew he was in a dogfight. We were just exhausted by the end, might not have lasted that long without the three-minute media timeouts.

Re the contract, Will is on the road recruiting this week (he's gotten a lot of calls from players and coaches of JUCOs, AAU, and HS about our last scholarship), but hopes to get it taken care of next week, a few details to iron out - it's a two-way negotiation. He's excited about coming back with this team next year and maybe getting better than a 16 seed next year.

He said "I'm a loyal guy, but I'm not a fool". I don't think he's expecting any BIG money offers yet.

He was supposed to be taping a segment for Leno tonight, Regis tomorrow. Didn't have time for Letterman. At least that's if Murphy didn't get his shows confused.

He was supposed to be taping a segment for Leno tonight, Regis tomorrow. Didn't have time for Letterman. At least that's if Murphy didn't get his shows confused - UA 72

I think Murphy said that tongue in cheek and Coach Brown just joked along with him saying he couldn't fit Letterman in.

I just hope McElroy does the right thing, he gambled and he lost now it's time to ante up.

Brown did an outstanding job no doubt. But Coaches coach AND PLAYERS PLAY!!!!! Remember, UA has some outstanding talent on its roster(which for a moment scared me in the beginning of the seaon).

W/O UA's "BIG MEN" there would of been zero inside game. Zollner was a wrecking machine out there and proved he could be playing at a bigger program. He absolutly schooled UCONN's big boys!

W/O UA's current players they would not even be close to the NCAA's or the NIT! But all due to Brown's recruiting ability they were on scholarship/enrolled at UA.

As I said in another post, If they do not pay Brown, he should leave!!!

See what scholarship money does for a program. Pay them and they will come(and make the playoffs or a run for the national championship)