UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Home Field Edge or Recruiting Problem?

With Wagner adding a Premium Turf Field, University Field is the only one in the NEC left with natural grass surface. Even though the crown keeps it in pretty good shape except during extremely heavy rain until late in the season, it can't be an advantage when kids are choosing a school.

Wagner story with photo gallery

With Wagner adding a Premium Turf Field, University Field is the only one in the NEC left with natural grass surface. Even though the crown keeps it in pretty good shape except during extremely heavy rain until late in the season, it can't be an advantage when kids are choosing a school.

15226[/snapback]

speaking of University Field, does anyone know if any sketches or models have been produced for the football stadium? I hope the stands will wrap around the field whenever it's built.

15226[/snapback]

speaking of University Field, does anyone know if any sketches or models have been produced for the football stadium? I hope the stands will wrap around the field whenever it's built.

15227[/snapback]

Athletics Plan 2010 has a blueprint up in the R.A.C.C. just past the box office on the right-hand side. There is no blueprint on the web as of now.

Here's a scanned image. Not completely enclosed, but seats in both end zones, though they may be in later expansion phases.

15230[/snapback]

thanks for the image, I was just wondering if they've come out with any 3D images or sketches of the football stadium itself. This picture does help alot though.

15231[/snapback]

The alumni football golf outing is July 14th and 15th and I'm sure the stadium's progress, or lack thereof, will be a hot topic, as well as the scholarship situation.

I don't to resurrect the conversations from last year, but I believe that UA is making this way too complicated. They can add turf and some stands opposite the PE building and have a nice facility. It won't be great - but it will be as good as any in the AE (except Stony Brook).

I don't to resurrect the conversations from last year, but I believe that UA is making this way too complicated.  They can add turf and some stands opposite the PE building and have a nice facility.  It won't be great - but it will be as good as any in the AE (except Stony Brook).

15239[/snapback]

isn't the purpose of building a brand new stadium to have something for the future and something to grow into. If you're going to build a stadium, why not go all out? I would love to see something like Paetec Park in Rochester.

I don't to resurrect the conversations from last year, but I believe that UA is making this way too complicated.  They can add turf and some stands opposite the PE building and have a nice facility.

15239[/snapback]

The phrase 'lipstick on a pig' comes to mind.

It won't be great - but it will be as good as any in the AE (except Stony Brook).

15239[/snapback]

Even if you mean the NEC, I don't think it'd be any better than average.

Five years ago I might have gone for it, but my real objection is that such investments would put off a real stadium for at least another ten years, to justify the artificial turf. Since you'd have to tear it all up to put down the turf anyway, just get started according to the plan, and if funds are tight don't put up the upper deck until later.

UAalum72 - I'm with you, if we "patch" something together to "make do" the stadium/field will become a lower priority.

With the rapid improvements and the present notoriety of our Athletic Program I think we have an excellent shot at the stadium. If we start nickel and diming it that's all we'll ever have.

If scholarship Football comes so will our stadium.

Scholarship football is GUARANTEED. The stadium I am beginning to doubt. They keep saying it is coming but I am not seeing any announcements. The private funding is going along very well I am told. So we shall see.

I agree that if they renovate University Field it will be another 5 or so years before they build a new stadium. By the same token we will begin to lose players (if Priore stays at SBU and I hear he has bigger aspirations, like coaching 1A, we will start losing players to SBU...fortunatly,that did not happen this year...Ford is still one of the best recruiters in the business) if we do not have a facility that is at least on the same plane as Northeastern.

By the same token we will begin to lose players (if Priore stays at SBU and I hear he has bigger aspirations, like coaching 1A, we will start losing players to SBU... if we do not have a facility that is at least on the same plane as Northeastern.

15264[/snapback]

NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY?? Please, Parsons is about the worst field in the A-10, along with New Hampshire and Rhody (both of which are getting improvements). Gotta go for at least Southern Conn. or Stony Brook (and expandable), or a double-sided Wagner, if not a scaled-down version of UMass.

If the detailed plans were in place and they broke ground today, how long would a project like this take to complete. I'm assuming the master plan would be followed and the location of the field would be in the current RACC parking lot.

Can anyone reference other projects of this size and how long these took.

If the detailed plans were in place and they broke ground today, how long would a project like this take to complete.  I'm assuming the master plan would be followed and the location of the field would be in the current RACC parking lot.

Can anyone reference other projects of this size and how long these took.

15273[/snapback]

there's a stadium in Rochester called Paetec Park (I mentioned it before in this thread). It's a 17,000 seat soccer specific stadium (12,500 permanent seats, and 4500 bleacher seats). Ground was broken in July, 2004 and it opened in June, 2006. Phase 1 which includes 17,000 seats cost 24.5 million dollars. Even though it's a soccer stadium, it would be an amazing football stadium as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAETEC_Park

www.paetecpark.com