UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

A small group of us were entertained tonight despite barely understanding the rules. I can only recall Siena getting 3 shots on goal. The most comical aspect was with about 15 minutes left in the game, Albany leading 5-0 and Siena having only gotten one shot on goal through the first 55 minutes; an Albany player had a shot go out of bounds and behind the net - as she went to retrieve it, the Siena fans were shouting for a delay of game penalty, as if the few seconds that ran off the clock would affect the outcome.

A small group of us were entertained tonight despite barely understanding the rules.  I can only recall Siena getting 3 shots on goal.  The most comical aspect was with about 15 minutes left in the game, Albany leading 5-0 and Siena having only gotten one shot on goal through the first 55 minutes; an Albany player had a shot go out of bounds and behind the net - as she went to retrieve it, the Siena fans were shouting for a delay of game penalty, as if the few seconds that ran off the clock would affect the outcome.

16027[/snapback]

It also was my first field hockey game and I found it amusing that once Siena fell behind 3-0 the Siena fans started crying to the refs like it was the refs fault they were getting dominated.

BTW, Siena is picked 8 out of 9th in their conference so anyone looking to see them play an evenly matched game may have to wait until 9/29 when they play the ninth ranked team in their conference. St Francis of PA.

Glad to see someone else was out at the game. It did feel like an away game with those Siena fans though.

Just wanted to add that the complaining was coming from the Siena bench as well, though it was sporatic from the coaches.

A little more defensive communication and we'll be fine this season.

St. Francis (PA) on Friday.

I guess it depends on where u were sitting or in my case standing. I was down by the side with more Albany fans. Siena seemed to have taken up the side where the main enterence was. So if you were down there I'm sure it felt like an away game. I'm glad to see the field hockey team doing well, sure does show how playing on ur home turff helps a program.

I'm glad to see the field hockey team doing well, sure does show how playing on ur home turff helps a program.

16034[/snapback]

Having that new field is really great, so I wonder why only 6 of the 18 games are at home. Maybe this is still a reflection of our recent arrival in D-1. It's not just field hockey but I think all of our teams play far more away games than home games. I hope that situation changes soon.

If only the Gazette could get it right  :angry:

The headline reads

Siena Blanks Albany, 6-0

Its only when you actually read the write-up that its revealed the actual score was Albany 6, Siena 0.

16039[/snapback]

Wow , that is an error in the magnitude of the Siena Times Union.

From what I saw last night Siena will be lucky to score 6 goals this season as opposed to 6 in a game.

I think they scored 9 all of last season.

I'm glad to see the field hockey team doing well, sure does show how playing on ur home turff helps a program.

16034[/snapback]

Having that new field is really great, so I wonder why only 6 of the 18 games are at home. Maybe this is still a reflection of our recent arrival in D-1. It's not just field hockey but I think all of our teams play far more away games than home games. I hope that situation changes soon.

16037[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head. For some reason, it is very hard to schedule home games in field hockey especially in the Northeast against top teams. Maine, UNH, and Vermont all have that problem too although Maine actually has 10 home games this season which is not the norm. I call the Top 15 programs "The Sisterhood".....they are the coaches at the perennial Top 20 programs and they tend to only schedule each other, therefore not allowing any "up and comers" into their close-knit group. This is reflected week in and week out in the national coaches poll (www.nfhca.org) as well as in their scheduling tactics. One thing that Albany can do to attract lesser programs is to schedule a weekend round-robin (Maine does that) where you would play 2 different teams and they would play each other on your field. That seems to be a good way to attract some programs that might not normally make the trip to Albany for 1 game.

Edited by mainejeff

Mainejeff, thanks for that insight into the cliquey world of college field hockey.  Sounds like a tough nut to crack for teams like UAlbany and Maine.

16060[/snapback]

It is. America East field hockey really took a hit when we lost Northeastern (fringe "Sisterhood"). Now it is really an uphill struggle to achieve national respect for the remaining programs.