UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Watch your mouth at BU

GreatDanes06

this is absolutely ridiculous. What happened to free speech? If I was a BU student I would organize a boycott of all hockey games until they stop this crap. I'm sure everyone will enjoy watching a game quietly sitting in their chairs whispering (because being too loud is rude) politically correct phrases to the satisfaction of the BU politburo. "You are not smart [insert opponents name]. Your SAT scores were very low. Hah. hah." Then you get kicked out because saying someone isn't smart is discriminatory. When the refs make a bad call the crowd will shower them with phrases like "You need Laser Eye surgery." or "Golly, Where did you get your Spectacles at? The blind optometrist. hah." Making fun of blind people is wrong so this will also get you kicked out. Any clapping will be in unison, and only for a short designated length of time because anything longer would be considered overzealous and might lead to a dangerous level of passion and happiness that could result in an outcry of banned emotion. Hopefully the students at BU see how stupid this is and protest. If I went there I'd definitely be pissed off after paying 50,000 dollars only to have my freedom of speech be stomped on by the PC Nazis in the BU administration.

this is absolutely ridiculous.  What happened to free speech? If I was a BU student I would organize a boycott of all hockey games until they stop this crap. I'm sure everyone will enjoy watching a game quietly sitting in their chairs whispering (because being too loud is rude) politically correct phrases to the satisfaction of the BU politburo. "You are not smart [insert opponents name]. Your SAT scores were very low. Hah. hah." Then you get kicked out because saying someone isn't smart is discriminatory. When the refs make a bad call the crowd will shower them with phrases like "You need Laser Eye surgery." or "Golly, Where did you get your Spectacles at? The blind optometrist. hah." Making fun of blind people is wrong so this will also get you kicked out. Any clapping will be in unison, and only for a short designated length of time because anything longer would be considered overzealous and might lead to a dangerous level of passion and happiness that could result in an outcry of banned emotion. Hopefully the students at BU see how stupid this is  and protest. If I went there I'd definitely be pissed off after paying 50,000 dollars only to have my freedom of speech be stomped on by the PC Nazis in the BU administration.

16282[/snapback]

I posted this on the AE board and I don't feel like typing it all over again, but here is my oppinion on the matter. I would like to just say again there is no things as "free speech" at sporting events. You are misguided. :angry:

In my opinion there is no such thing as “free speech” when it comes to profanity laced screams that make every body’s blood curl. The only reason I have such a strong opinion on this subject is because of my experience at last years UA-Siena game at the Pepsi. A couple of morons got drunk (Pepsi is allowed to sell beer) and where screaming at the top of their lungs for the entire second half words like F#@K, C@$T and B#$CH. And I mean every other word for an entire half. Everyone within and ear shot was giving them dirty looks, several guys with young children actually went up and asked them to stop only to be cussed out, and no one did anything to remove these a-holes from the arena. I would not call myself a prude and cussing doesn’t effect me that much as I usually ignore it, but their behavior was so vial that it seriously effected my enjoyment of the game and I’m sure many others around me. At the very end of the game one of the a-holes was so disgusted with the outcome that he threw a half of cup of beer like 15 rows down and in the process showering everyone in its path with beer. Fortunately I was sitting upstream from him so was able to escape the shower. So in my opinion a sporting event does not give someone the right to do or say what ever they want. Just my 2 cents! Their behavior might have been alcohol induced and perhaps the Pepsi is responsible for letting this go on. But in a world of zero personal responsibility these guys should have been held responsible for their actions and kicked out.

My 2 cents

It's possible to root for your team, voice displeasure for calls without using inappropriate language. Let's be the school that does it in clever, imaginative ways, without the vulgarity.

We're trying to be the premier program in the capital district. We bring in youth basketball teams girl scouts, etc., let's show some class. I don't care what BU does, but I would hope we won't need to take steps such as those taken in BU. They don't get many fans at their basketball games.