UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Vermont/Maryland

Just watched the Vermont/Maryland game on ESPN2 that is part of the Coaches vs. Cancer tourney. Maryland won 81-63 and it was worse than that. The first 14 minutes of the game, Vermont hung in there well only down a bucket or two but then turovers killed them (14 in 1st half, over 20 total). It got worse in second half when they couldn't score at all (1 for 13 from 3-point). Kinda remined me of the AE Championship game. Ciepliki, Holm, and Klimes looked as lost on the court tonight as they did against the Danes that day. Trimboli was not bad at all tonight with 15 points. McCrory was good in 1st half and then disappeared and their touted freshman Trapani was invisible. Overall, as long as we keep Trimboli under wraps (Jamar and Lillis can do that), no one on their team can beat us single handlily.

On one hand I like that the season starts earlier but the downside is that the early games seem awfully sloppy. Maybe they should let them practice another week.

I agree about Vermont. Their lack of speed really was apparent although an ACC opponent probably helped that some. I was surprised to hear one of the announcer describe Trapiani as a "high-major" athlete. I didn't realize he was that big a recruit for them.

I was surprised to hear one of the announcer describe Trapiani as a "high-major" athlete. I didn't realize he was that big a recruit for them.

17354[/snapback]

Trapani was a huge recruit for UVM. He will be, hands down, the Rookie of the Year in your league. He had a tough night from the field - but he gets his own shot very easily - from outside and in the paint. If there was anyone on UVM that looked like they belonged on the floor with an ACC team, it was Trapani. Lonergan has a great foundation in Trimboli and Trapani.

Trapani made it clear he was going to UVM when he was just a sophomore in high school - his dad is one of the UVM all-time great players. He had offers from Fairfield and Davidson, but never get wrapped up in the recruiting wars due to his allegiance to UVM. He was never going to get Top 25 offers, but he could easily be playing in the A-10.

He had offers from Fairfield and Davidson, but never get wrapped up in the recruiting wars due to his allegiance to UVM.  He was never going to get Top 25 offers, but he could easily be playing in the A-10.

17355[/snapback]

Since when are Fairfield and Davidson considered 'High-Major'? Fairfield is picked to finish last in the MAAC, and Davidson is near the bottom of the Southern Conference.

He had offers from Fairfield and Davidson, but never get wrapped up in the recruiting wars due to his allegiance to UVM.  He was never going to get Top 25 offers, but he could easily be playing in the A-10.

17355[/snapback]

Since when are Fairfield and Davidson considered 'High-Major'? Fairfield is picked to finish last in the MAAC, and Davidson is near the bottom of the Southern Conference.

17357[/snapback]

And aren't some LCC fans claiming some A-10 teams are below some maac teams. :):):)

Not that he isn't a good player. But I wouldn't be giving out rookie of the year awards either after Trapani played 2 games in November and no other team in the league has played any.

I don’t know if Trapani will be ROY ( kind of premature to say that) but he sure looked like a player against some pretty good competition. I think AE teams will struggle to match up with him.

It’s always hard to play on the floor of a BCS team that has the home crowd and the refs on their side. The Cats lost their composure in the second half, easy to do in a hostile environment against a ACC team. I liked Vermont, I think they will be one of the better teams in the AE this season. They certainly looked improved from last year to me. Their lack of team speed will not be an issue in the AE

"It’s always hard to play on the floor of a BCS team that has the home crowd and the refs on their side."

17421[/snapback]

That is part of getting ready for the season. I am sure the way the Danes played at Florida and at UCLA helped in preparation for the AE season and the NCAA game with UConn a lot more than say a home and home with NJIT would have.

Trapani had high major schools looking at him while Vermont was in the process of getting him to verbal. It was one of those "prep and then sign you" deals. I was told BC was one of those schools that wanted to do that with him. Also, Georgia Tech made aa late push on him, trying to convince him to not sign early and wait until the spring. While I'm not sure how he'd do on an ACC team, I do believe if he signed in the spring, he would have been an A-10 level recruit. If the Vermonter, Matt Glass is going to UMass because of one good summer, I can't imagine where Trapani would go. Seeing them both play, I can tell you Trapani is far superior to Glass, who I thought would have made a good bench guy at UVM. I'm excited to watch him play througout the year. I'm not gloating or anything, but that is what I was told by some trusted people.

As a Vermont fan, obviously we got the expected result. The strength of the team should be the frountcourt of Holm and Klimes. They haven't produced the offensive production I would like to see from them this year, but they are crashing the boards well. It is a matter of finishing around the hoop and going up strong, which both of them haven't been doing of late. I feel like we can have more guys score this year, to make for a more even distribution of points, which leads to more points. I think guys like McIntosh and McCrory are going to emerge and play much harder because now they actually have serious competition for their minutes (Trapani, and Blakely when he is 100%). Last year they played because Ryan Schneider was just bad (especially defensively).

I think we'll be good. The OOC is gonna be ugly, but if we come out with 4-5 wins on that schedule, I'll be content.

Archived