UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

St. Bonaventure

Is this the first A-10 men's basketball team to play UA at the Q/RACC? Should be a good one hopefully attendance will go up for this game, if I'm not mistaken there is a good number lot St. Bonn Alumni in the Capital region.

I would look for UA to come in with confidence winning two straight, but the Bonnies will be hungry and looking to snap a 4 game losing streak.

l don't think this will play much of a role in the game saturday because anything can happen but, all 4 recent defeats by SBU were at home against teams that were a combind 9-19.

Also a side note Paul Williams F/C (played for Siena in 2003) comes back to Albany.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Pretty slow on the Board of late. Must be a lot of people are engaged in office parties or are out shopping. I hope this doesn't mean that the turnout for the Bonnies' game will be light. It is a game we should win but it may not be as easy as most people think. A good fan turnout is essential. Hope to see most of you folks tomorrow at the CU.

The Bonnies' newest RPI?

335 out of 336.

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

Let's hope for a win.

RPI doesn't mean squat. It is a garbage mathematical formula especially this early in the season.

Bonnies are ranked 322 by Sagarin and 314 by Pomeroy.

Both of which are more reliable than the RPI.

Even with there below 300 ranking, UA still has to play a good game to get the win.

RPI doesn't mean squat. It is a garbage mathematical formula especially this early in the season.

Even with there below 300 ranking, UA still has to play a good game to get the win.

While the RPI system does contain flaws, the NCAA selection committee still does not openly refer to it as 'garbage', so it is still interesting to follow.

And while I agree that the Bonnies will play tougher than this questionable predictor would suggest, and that the number is likely to increase before the end of the season, I still find it interesting that an A10 program is rated that low. Also, a loss to such a low ranked team, although early in the season, would not be the best thing for the team's profile come the end of the season.

While the RPI system does contain flaws, the NCAA selection committee still does not openly refer to it as 'garbage', so it is still interesting to follow.

And while I agree that the Bonnies will play tougher than this questionable predictor would suggest, and that the number is likely to increase before the end of the season, I still find it interesting that an A10 program is rated that low. Also, a loss to such a low ranked team, although early in the season, would not be the best thing for the team's profile come the end of the season.

The NCAA admits it has flaws, it is just one thing the NCAA uses to pick at large teams and I think the NCAA has said that it uses it more as a guide when comparing teams. Team A has such and such a record vs the top 50, the top 100 , the bottom 200 compared to team B. I don't remember the exact quotes, but it comes up every year when they select an at large team with a lower RPI over a team with a "better" RPI.

And maybe garbage is too strong of a word on my part, but Hartford right now is ranked first in the AE by RPI. Do you really think they are better than UA or Vermont. If they are they will prove it from January to March.

Also, Holy Cross is ranked 36th in RPI , yet ranked 126 by Pomeroy. I don't think there is any doubt which number is closer to reality.

Of coarse it would be better for UA profile to beat St Bonaventure, but there still are about 20 games to play after this one win or lose including the conference games and conference tournament that ultimately will determine how the season turns out.

Along the lines of those gimmicky ratings, I was tooling around Pomeroy's site, and I just now realized that he predicts scores for the rest of the season, with each teams chances of winning:

http://kenpom.com/sked.php?team=Albany&t=p

For tomorrow, he predicts that UAlbany will have a 95% chance of winning and that the final score will be 76-58.

I would be interested in seeing what kind of program he is using to update his site daily, as there is a lot of 'information' there.

Anyways, it should be fun to look at when (hopefully) UAlbany reels off 10 or 12 straight wins.

You guys should handle Bona, a one-point win is always good, but I see Albany winning this one big. Bona is an A10 team in name only. If Albany comes to play this one will be a laugher. I might come down this afternoon and check out the game, jonesing for some hoops and Siena doesn’t play for another week. As for RPI, its Ok but it doesn’t mean a lot just yet, a lot of wacky teams( high and low) it can be fun to look at, but doesn’t get anywhere near accurate for another 2 weeks or so

Along the lines of those gimmicky ratings, I was tooling around Pomeroy's site, and I just now realized that he predicts scores for the rest of the season, with each teams chances of winning:

http://kenpom.com/sked.php?team=Albany&t=p

For tomorrow, he predicts that UAlbany will have a 95% chance of winning and that the final score will be 76-58.

I would be interested in seeing what kind of program he is using to update his site daily, as there is a lot of 'information' there.

Anyways, it should be fun to look at when (hopefully) UAlbany reels off 10 or 12 straight wins.

Yes, he posts that after about 6 or 7 games for the rest of the season. What I like most is how much different your "chances" of winning can be against the same opponent at home and on the road. For example for UA vs UMBC 64% , @ UMBC 33%. Note, UMBC is the conference team on our schedule with the closest current Pomeroy ranking to Siena.

You guys should handle Bona, a one-point win is always good, but I see Albany winning this one big. Bona is an A10 team in name only. If Albany comes to play this one will be a laugher. I might come down this afternoon and check out the game, jonesing for some hoops and Siena doesn’t play for another week. As for RPI, its Ok but it doesn’t mean a lot just yet, a lot of wacky teams( high and low) it can be fun to look at, but doesn’t get anywhere near accurate for another 2 weeks or so

Well, it depends on what you mean by near accurate. For me, it is still too inaccurate especially when compared to Pomeroy or Sagarin or the conference standings which we will start to have in 2 weeks.

Archived