UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stony Brook

It's kind of hard to believe that the men are playing again tonight, especially with 3 games behind us in only a few days.

It's also hard to believe that there is little coverage of our opponent tonight. The TU article only mentions them as the opponent, with no other background info. The Troy Record does not even have an online article about tonight whatsoever.

Since Stony Brook is always a tough opponent for us, in terms of closeness of games played in the past, I think they deserve a little more respect in the media. I am certainly hoping that the coaching staff is not downplaying them. It might be the case that the staff and the team are just looking forward to a break from the brutal schedule.

It's kind of hard to believe that the men are playing again tonight, especially with 3 games behind us in only a few days.

It's also hard to believe that there is little coverage of our opponent tonight. The TU article only mentions them as the opponent, with no other background info. The Troy Record does not even have an online article about tonight whatsoever.

Since Stony Brook is always a tough opponent for us, in terms of closeness of games played in the past, I think they deserve a little more respect in the media. I am certainly hoping that the coaching staff is not downplaying them. It might be the case that the staff and the team are just looking forward to a break from the brutal schedule.

Maybe because Loudonvillle CC is also home at the Knick this afternoon

I've seen Stony Brook a handful of times this year down here on Long Island. They stink at times - and they look like a solid club at times. They're young. They have some athletes in the post - none of them polished - but they can all run and jump. Their guards are average - Buford can get 20 some nights. Ricky Lucas - who transferred in from George Washington (where he played in 60 games and averaged about 5 ppg there) - is their big gun. I haven't been overly impressed with him - he's about 6'5, long arms/body - but plays soft. He gets about 17 a game, I think - but he usually does it pretty quietly. UAlbany should win - but SBU is improved and they've shown some flashes of being on the upswing. Buford and Jamar should be a good matchup, as should Siggers and Lucas - the wild card is Brent Wilson - SBU has no one to really mark him.

I've seen Stony Brook a handful of times this year down here on Long Island. They stink at times - and they look like a solid club at times. They're young. They have some athletes in the post - none of them polished - but they can all run and jump. Their guards are average - Buford can get 20 some nights. Ricky Lucas - who transferred in from George Washington (where he played in 60 games and averaged about 5 ppg there) - is their big gun. I haven't been overly impressed with him - he's about 6'5, long arms/body - but plays soft. He gets about 17 a game, I think - but he usually does it pretty quietly. UAlbany should win - but SBU is improved and they've shown some flashes of being on the upswing. Buford and Jamar should be a good matchup, as should Siggers and Lucas - the wild card is Brent Wilson - SBU has no one to really mark him.

Let's hope Brent feels better tonight. I'm looking for him to go off on the Seawolves.

soup,

Thanks for your analysis of SBU's team. I've read what posters on the AE board have said about SBU, and your analysis pretty much describes my feelings toward the team.

I'm concerned about them tonight. They have proven they can be dangerous this year, and they have been a difficult opponent for us almost every game since we both went Division I. I'm also afraid of a letdown after Vermont. This game is the 4th in 7 days for us, and that's bad enough without the nagging injuries our team has experienced. This game could go both ways.

I know that some here won't agree with me, but I don't have many quarrels with the Times Union's coverage of the team. My initial post on this topic is probably misleading, but I wrote about it more from the angle that I hope the team wouldn't overlook our opponent tonight.

Mark Singelais's blog is great this year, and we had outstanding coverage of the tournament and UConn games last year. It far surpassed anything I would have imagined. I hope I didn't start the badmouthing here of the newspaper because it wasn't really my intention.

Danes, good luck tonight!

Well that sounded like the ugliest game I have ever heard but we gutted it out. We were on fumes at the end and luckily SB missed a few shots or we may have had OT and I doubt the guys would pull that out especially with Siggers out. Now lets give the guys a rest, they won 3 of the 4 in the 6 days and get ready for Hartford. We need to get on a roll so that Vermont keeps looking over their shoulder till our next meeting.

Coach should tell the guys to do nothing but sleep and PS3 the next 2 days to get their legs back! Get rested!

you can see this team is drained. If they win Sunday and come out of this strech 3-1, then i dont care how ugly it was, it was a success. By the way, the Neto technical foul was all the student section. They got under his skin, in a clean manner, and he took the bait.

It was great to see Iati have a good game. He looked pretty good on both ends of the floor. Also some great production in the paint by Covington. He really played well and hit his shots at the line. Were going to need some production from other sources if were going to make a run. Hopefully the guys can use the next few days to rest up. Anyone know if there is something wrong with Brent? he doesn't seem to be himself.

A win is a win man did the guys look tired tonight, but they got through the 4 game stretch 3-1. Now lets hope the boys rest up for Sunday against Hartford.

BTW was Ambrose court side tonight during pregame warm ups, I saw a kid who was around 6' in a grey Nike Air Jordan hoody and grey sweats standing near the Great Danes bench. Later I saw him first row in the 750 stands.

It was great to see Iati have a good game. He looked pretty good on both ends of the floor. Also some great production in the paint by Covington. He really played well and hit his shots at the line. Were going to need some production from other sources if were going to make a run. Hopefully the guys can use the next few days to rest up. Anyone know if there is something wrong with Brent? he doesn't seem to be himself.

Brent is battling a virus of some sort.

Glad we pulled this one out. SBU is FAST! Combined with their speed and our recent tough schedule stretch, I'm glad we held on to this one.

Was I seeing it wrong, or were the Seawolves playing a 3-2 (as opposed to the normal 2-3) zone? It was certainly causing us problems, especially in the second half. They ended up able to near- triple team the ball handler on the perimeter. Good thing Jimmie had a strong game to give us some sort of inside presence. It looked like we just couldn't pass the ball around quick enough to escape the pressure while not turning the ball over.

Jamar definitely had an off night, but at least he hit his free throws down the stretch and chipped in with 7 assists and 5 boards.

And how nice will it be once Iati and Brent both find their shot in the same game!

Just back from both the Marist vs. Siena game (cheering for Marist of course!), followed by our UAlbany game and our Danes' victory! Having left the Siena game with about 4 minutes to go, I apparently missed quite a finish at the Marist-Siena contest (Marist prevailed in overtime). We would match up well with Marist, but they can be a really tough team when they get hot from the perimeter. They are a team that lives out beyond the 3-point arch. Leaving the Times Union Center around 6:39, I still made it to the "Q" (and my seat) by 6:59. Good thing I am a runner. But back to the UAlbany game, I echo the previous analysis/post regarding Stonybrook's team. Young, very athletic, though unpolished. I am almost puzzled as to why this S.B. team isn't doing better. They are the most athletic team that I've seen in the America East so far ... .

What was up with #5 (Emanual Neto) on Stonybrook and his rant at Jamar after blocking Jamar's shot? Does he think he's playing for the Knicks? Even in the NBA, I suspect that "taunting" at an opposing player would have been a technical foul. He leaned right over in Jamar's face and screamed at him after blocking Jamar's shot. At least the refs got that right in calling a technical foul on #5. There is no question that Neto has tremendous ability and skill as a player (was a member of the Angolan national team, see http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-baskb...emanuel00.html), but that kind of taunting is unacceptable at the NCAA level --- by any team or athlete.

Another thought on the game is something that has been brewing in my mind for several games now; specifically, Jimmie "TANK" Covington! What a performance (Across the Street Pub's player of the game this evening) tonight! He is getting better and better with each game (or, perhaps, just demonstrating more and more confidence) and, IMHO, is the strongest presence down in the lowpost as far as strength goes for our team. Covington was a real plus tonight and picked up the energy and "slack" so to speak, given our brutal schedule over the past week or so. Great game for J.C. You heard it here first: Convington reminds me of Haddix for Siena ... .

Iati was also solid tonight, and put the team on his back for the first ten minutes or so of the game! He was key tonight. Moreover, Iati helped us out bigtime with getting past that press that S.B. was putting on us in the second half. Three points to breaking a press: (1) pass the ball quick; (2) don't pick up your dribble; and (3) big men have to streak to the center of the court to accept the pass from the guards who are coming up on the sidelines (because the press forces them to go towards the sidelines). Iati was instrumental in helping us put on the court another ballhandlers to break that press.

Carl Ross was, as always, exciting! He didn't get in as much in the second half (in fact, I don't recall if he got in at all), but this guy is just plain fun to watch. I hope he continues to get more time on this team. With his speed, he could be a great "slasher" for us this season and, even more so, next season.

Did anyone else notice how Brown substituted the entire starting 5 players after 3 or so minutes into the game for a brand new 5 players (Iati, Covington, Ross, Gifford, and Connolly)? I believe we were down 4-0 at that point in the game. I wasn't sure if it was a new idea for keeping our starters fresh for the second half or whether he was upset with the starting unit for having gone several possessions without a score. Thoughts?

Neto loves UAlbany...lol

i seriously think us students got into Neto's head. After he threw that air ball in the first half, and we made the "Air Balls are Neto" sign, we had him pegged. And we went after him. What I like was that we went after him clean, no cursing or really mean jokes, but we just got into his head. He took the bait and fouled Jamar. If you saw him after he got the T, he went over to the coach and pointed towards us.

He got bit by us fans.

By the way, Alum, thanks for the candy. After the day of work I had, i need a quick pick-me-up.

Archived