UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Future of Athletic Department

reeder

Per todays TU

Announcement coming

UAlbany has scheduled a news conference for Friday afternoon for an announcement regarding the future of the athletic department.

UAlbany athletic director Lee McElroy, who was at Wednesday's game, declined to elaborate except to say the announcement does not involve the proposed football stadium. McElroy has said the goal is to break ground on the stadium by late this year.

UAlbany officer in charge Susan Herbst, who will host Friday's news conference, declined comment in an e-mail.

Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings also is scheduled to attend the news conference.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone on this board would agree that McElroy has done a lot and a contract extension is more then warranted, but why would Mayor Jennings show up only for a contract extension? Does anyone remember if he showed up for Brown's contract extension? I think there is something more to this.

Why would the mayor be here for a contract extension? Extension is definitely warranted for the good Dr. but I think there is something more to it then just that. This is most interesting! Any chance that they would be announcing a large monetary gift or something money related for the athletic department? What time is the press conference?

McElroy has said the goal is to break ground on the stadium by late this year.

Nice to see he is still seeing breaking ground this year.

I agree...I know I for one will make more of an attempt to attend football games when there is a decent place to sit and watch the game. I went to two this season and actually had a decent time but hated the bleachers, terrible sight lines and a serious lack of concessions etc. I will seriously consider getting season tickets to UA football once the stadium is built. I've given money to the stadium initiative but I wasn't aware that we are that close to having the necessary funding in place, since they are looking to break ground this year. I know the plan has been to get a certain amount of funding from private donations and the rest will be kicked in by the state/city so it appears that they are very close to reaching the dollar amount needed for private donations in order to start construction.

McElroy has said the goal is to break ground on the stadium by late this year.

Nice to see he is still seeing breaking ground this year.

I agree...I know I for one will make more of an attempt to attend football games when there is a decent place to sit and watch the game. I went to two this season and actually had a decent time but hated the bleachers, terrible sight lines and a serious lack of concessions etc. I will seriously consider getting season tickets to UA football once the stadium is built. I've given money to the stadium initiative but I wasn't aware that we are that close to having the necessary funding in place, since they are looking to break ground this year. I know the plan has been to get a certain amount of funding from private donations and the rest will be kicked in by the state/city so it appears that they are very close to reaching the dollar amount needed for private donations in order to start construction.

Dr. McElroy said on the half-time show last night that the private funding has gone better than expected. I wonder if any money was "earmarked" in Spitzer's budget proposal released today.

Maybe the mayor has been reading messages on this site and decided to place a bet with Boise? Potatos for fish from the Hudson. Mmmm!

Archived