UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Future of Athletic Department

reeder

Interested to see what exactly it is. The University is being pretty tight-lipped about it. Even some of the upper-level (just below Executive Committee level) University officials aren't able to get any info ahead of time on the details.

The press conference is tomorrow at noon in the Hall of Fame room.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they were going to have any announcements on the future of the Albany Cup, surely it would occur on a neutral site, right?

Maybe it is just the announcement of a major donor.

I have heard it may be involving conference affiliation. hmmm. CAA? I have heard if SBU and UA join the CAA, they will split into a divisional format with a Northern divsion consisting of UA, SBU, Hofstra, Northeatern, Drexel, Delaware and Towson

I don't know how I feel about leaving the AE if it were to happen. Hypothetically if it were to happen it would be like us abandoning the AE, yet another team that jumps ship. Especially now that AE appears to be moving in the right direction. We'd probably be called names like deserters etc. This is obviously all hypothetical but still.....!

I don't know how I feel about leaving the AE if it were to happen. Hypothetically if it were to happen it would be like us abandoning the AE, yet another team that jumps ship. Especially now that AE appears to be moving in the right direction. We'd probably be called names like deserters etc. This is obviously all hypothetical but still.....!

I can deal with being called a 'deserter' if it means we can improve the overall standing of the University's athletic program. Interesting (if true) that the CAA would admit SBU as well. They don't exactly have the strongest overall athletic program..anything productive from them other than football (which they said they're going IND anyways), lacrosse and women's basketball?

This might be the 'major athletic announcement' that the late president Hall referred to last year before his much untimely death. While it would certainly create much discussion, a jump to the recent-improved (especially profile wise) CAA would be some exciting progress.

I know it's been discussed a hundred times, but is the CAA a football conference? And if so, would our football team jump the NEC to become full CAA members?

I can deal with being called a 'deserter' if it means we can improve the overall standing of the University's athletic program. Interesting (if true) that the CAA would admit SBU as well. They don't exactly have the strongest overall athletic program..anything productive from them other than football (which they said they're going IND anyways), lacrosse and women's basketball?

This might be the 'major athletic announcement' that the late president Hall referred to last year before his much untimely death. While it would certainly create much discussion, a jump to the recent-improved (especially profile wise) CAA would be some exciting progress.

I think we all love the AE, but GDG has the right mindset. I realize that everything is hypothetical now, but specualtion itself is enjoyable.

As for SBU, I guess the administrators are always focusing on the potential of that institution instead of its past performance.

Can anyone prop a door to that meeting tomorrow, as I want to be there in person, but I do not think it is open to the public. Just kidding about the propped door. Or am I?

Most of the CAA are state universities, but the center of gravity is in Virginia, and increasing it to 14, 16 schools for what's still a 1-bid basketball league, doesn't make a lot of sense. Yes, it's a little stronger, but I don't see any great advantage compared to the extended travel.

The CAA just took over what was the Atlantic-10 football league - again, too many teams.

for myself, unless we got an invite to the Big East, I'd rather stay in America East, IF the AE starts its own, full-scholarship football conference.

It would be a major blow to the AE if we and SBU left to go to the CAA. I would be shocked if we moved it sounds to me more like a major donation or something. Again why would the mayor come out to support a conference change and an AD contract extension?

I know it's been discussed a hundred times, but is the CAA a football conference? And if so, would our football team jump the NEC to become full CAA members?

I don't see us as full CAA members. I also don't see the CAA extending us a football-only associateship. There are already 11 or 12 teams in the CAA football conference. Its the old A-10 football conference. In 2011 Old Dominion will have a football team in the CAA, bringing that league to 13 teams I believe which is unruly in FCS football. At that time, the most likely scenario is for the northern teams will break off and start a new football conference which in all hopes will be the America East football conference. For those of you at the football alumni golf outing this summer, the teams involved were on the poster (Maine, UMass, UNH, Rhode Island, Stony Brook, Albany, and possibly Hofstra and/or Northeastern). This meeting tomorrow will most likely have nothing to do with football, unless its an announcement that we are going independent (doubt it) or that we are going to another full-scholly conference for now(possibly the Big South), both of which are pretty unlikely at this point.

I don't see us as full CAA members. I also don't see the CAA extending us a football-only associateship. There are already 11 or 12 teams in the CAA football conference. Its the old A-10 football conference. In 2011 Old Dominion will have a football team in the CAA, bringing that league to 13 teams I believe which is unruly in FCS football. At that time, the most likely scenario is for the northern teams will break off and start a new football conference which in all hopes will be the America East football conference. For those of you at the football alumni golf outing this summer, the teams involved were on the poster (Maine, UMass, UNH, Rhode Island, Stony Brook, Albany, and possibly Hofstra and/or Northeastern). This meeting tomorrow will most likely have nothing to do with football, unless its an announcement that we are going independent (doubt it) or that we are going to another full-scholly conference for now(possibly the Big South), both of which are pretty unlikely at this point.

I won't comment much on the CAA because everyone here knows more about that conference than I, but I hope we stay in the A.E.! I really like the profile of our conference, and I'm looking forward to having future ski weekends in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire when we play weekend road games next year (and years after)!

With the mayor there, it's gotta be something fiscal or involving some steps taken by the city in conjunction with the university (that's my guess). Conference affiliation just wouldn't make sense. Whatever it is, it has got to be good (obviously). I wouldn't think the mayor would show up if they made a move like leaving the America East Conference. Political people love news conferences for positive and relatively uncontroversial news (especially when it involves money!).

Archived