UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Media Commentary

I've heard a couple of comments - thought I'd post them.

1. Andy Katz questioned the 13th seed because New Mexico State got a 13 seed and from his perspective the conferences aren't equal. His commentary was that the selection committee didn't begin the seeding process until 4:20 pm yesterday and didn't have enough time to be thourough. The bulk of his commentary was around Niagara being in the play in game, the Albany comment was in the context of how the selection process works.

2. Last night, on a local Atlanta radio station, one of the hosts thought Albany had a better than 50 / 50 chance to beat UVA and they could beat Tennessee as well. Of course, he showed his true knowledge of the team when he talked about the star guard - Jameer Wilson.

I've heard a couple of comments - thought I'd post them.

1. Andy Katz questioned the 13th seed because New Mexico State got a 13 seed and from his perspective the conferences aren't equal. His commentary was that the selection committee didn't begin the seeding process until 4:20 pm yesterday and didn't have enough time to be thourough. The bulk of his commentary was around Niagara being in the play in game, the Albany comment was in the context of how the selection process works.

2. Last night, on a local Atlanta radio station, one of the hosts thought Albany had a better than 50 / 50 chance to beat UVA and they could beat Tennessee as well. Of course, he showed his true knowledge of the team when he talked about the star guard - Jameer Wilson.

Albany could not have gotten a better matchup than Virginia. UVa is way overseeded, and is a major conference clone of the Danes. Stop Singletary penetration and shut down Reynold's shooting, and the Danes win. I propose a box and one on Reynolds.

My guess is the Committee had slotted the AE champ as the 13 seed in the South regardless of who won the UA UVM game.

I like the Box and 1 idea, but I think Will is a devout man to man guy. He did put in a zone against U Conn last year, but it was more of a wrinkle than anything else. At least on paper, we won't be physically overwhelmed by the Cavaliers.

More Katz:

13. Albany: The Great Danes had the best end-of-game situation of any final; they were patient and just sat back and watched Vermont implode with 30 seconds left. Albany had its celebration. Don't expect to see much more of that this week.

If you think Virginia doesn't have a huge advantage athletically, you are nuts. If Albany plays more than 5 minutes of pure man-to-man, Singletary and Reynolds will eat them alive.

I hear you. I'm not saying we should play man, just that Will is a man to man coach. Obviously, any ACC team will have bigger, faster, better athletes. That said, of the 4 seeds, I'd rather play UVa than say Texas. Prior to the bracket announcement, Will was worried we might draw Memphis, who would have probably blown us out of the gym.

If you think Virginia doesn't have a huge advantage athletically, you are nuts. If Albany plays more than 5 minutes of pure man-to-man, Singletary and Reynolds will eat them alive.

I hear you. I'm not saying we should play man, just that Will is a man to man coach. Obviously, any ACC team will have bigger, faster, better athletes. That said, of the 4 seeds, I'd rather play UVa than say Texas. Prior to the bracket announcement, Will was worried we might draw Memphis, who would have probably blown us out of the gym.

Sean Singletary (6-0, 185) v. Jamar Wilson (6-1, 185)

J.R. Reynolds (6-3, 188) v. Jason Siggers (6-4, 195)

Mamadi Diane (6-5, 197) v. Brian Lillis (6-5, 220)

Jason Cain (6-10, 225) v. Brent Wilson (6-8, 240)

Tunji Soroye (6-11, 245) v. Jimmie Covington (6-7, 240)

The only real size advantage among the starters is with Tunji, and he averages 1.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg in 13.3 mpg so that hopefully won't hurt us much.

ACC recruits at the highest level in the country, but the makeup of UVa is similar to our own, and I like that sort of matchup much better than vs a team that bangs heavy down low.

Will it be tough? Yes, but not impossible. I think a triangle and 2 zone would be great. Play man-to-man on the guards, and have the other three guys play a zone in the paint area.

I think man coverage is unnecessary on Singletary. Stop him from penetrating. Easier to do with a zone. If he shoots the lights out so be it, but he is much more dangerous going to the rack.

Reynolds, on the other hand, is lights out shooting. Must put Lillis on him all game.

A few other points having seen UVa several times:

1) Must stop transition. If Jamar goes to the hole, the other guard MUST GET BACK.

2) Cover Reynolds and Singletary on the break - they like to shoot the 3 ball in transition and it can be a backbreaker.

3) Must box out. You guys say that UVa is not much bigger. This is not true. UVa is not much TALLER, which is a big difference from BIGGER. UVa's bigs, with the exception of Cain, are not very skilled, but they are what's known in basketball parlance as ATHLETES. They will abuse us on the glass if we are not disciplined.

4) No man to man. Despite reports to the contrary, Jamar will not be the best player on the court. Sean Singletary will be a starting PG in the NBA. Lillis cannot cover Reynolds by himself. Zone creates its own problems as Singletary, Reynolds and Diane can all knock down threes. So I would go with the box and one. Triangle and two is not as good because Singletary will get to the hole.

5) Shoot the three and go to the hole. If Jamar can get Singletary in foul trouble, or Reynolds is either a) hurt (which he has been) or B) in foul trouble covering Siggers, UVa is just an average team. In addition, making Singletary and Reynolds play defense will help down the stretch in a close game.

6) Use the bench liberally.

In short, my original point was that this is a great matchup for UA, largely because both teams are overseeded. However, do not fall into the trap that UA can "out athlete" or even matchup athletically. Man to man would be a mistake. This game can be won with great coaching.

BC beat UVa with a matchup zone and a tall guard (6'6'' Sean Marshall) bothering Reynolds with size and effort. Not quite a box and one, but Lillis on Reynolds in a box and one would have the same effect.

Ross could spell Lillis/Siggers/Jamar time to time to keep the roatation fresh as well.

Ding, ding, ding.

Ross is a major x-factor. He has high-major athleticism - he did spend a year at Fresno - and can match the UVA guards on the defensive end.

You have to like UA's experience from last year going into the game - good chance they come out loose and UVA comes out tight. UVA's first trip for their seniors - they'll be anxious.

It is an intriguing matchup - as UVA depends on their guards and their post players are below average in the ACC. Perimeter play has a much better chance of going in the tank as opposed to interior play - if UVA had a SF and a PF that were 15 and 8 type of guys, UA would have no shot.

Ross is a nice guy to come off the bench - especially if UA can get to the 10 minute mark of the first half in a close game with UVA's guards struggling - throw Ross at them at that point and hopefully he can give you some energy.

Also, if Jamar can get a couple of dribble drives early - that could setup a guy like Iati to hit some shots.

Heck, throw a press on them after some early makes - and then pull it off on occasion to keep them honest - and keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.slate.com/id/2161810/pagenum/all/#page_start

University at Albany, America East Conference, No. 13 in South Region

The nation as a whole might find the Albany Great Danes rather inoffensive. I find them despicable. Let's begin with the uniforms, which read "UAlbany." That's not a word, and it isn't the name of the school. You don't see UKansas or UFlorida, do you?

And consider the home arena. Once upon a time, it was simply the Recreation and Convocation Center, euphonically shortened to "RACC." But money came calling, and the front office sold out. Now the Great Danes play in the State Employees Federal Credit Union Arena, aka "the SEFCU." It's probably the only arena in America whose name sounds like an Eastern European curse word.

Mostly, I hate Albany because my brother Mark went there. He knows in his heart that his school is inferior to my alma mater, Syracuse, but has still always argued the case—except when it comes to sports. Until recently, it was like comparing plankton to a whale shark. Now he finally has cause to gloat.

Mark got a little obnoxious after last year's close shave against Connecticut, when Albany almost became the first 16 seed to win a first-round game. Now that Syracuse has been jobbed by the NCAA selection committee, my brother can sniggle away, bragging that his school's the finest in New York state. And until next March, I have to take it. SEFCU, bro, SEFCU.—Robert Weintraub

There's a small photo and story about Jamar on the front page of the USA Today Sports section. More great coverage. I hope we can parlay all this media attention into some good recruits. Our expectations for the future are high and only getting higher by the day.

--Patrick

Archived