UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Phil Mushnick column

The following appeared in Friday's NY Post, written by Phil Mushnick:

Your Tax Dollars At Work: Our favorite stat from the NCAA tournament was provided by the State University of New York at Albany, a qualifier as the America East Conference champ. Among SUNY-Albany's 13 roster players, one, Jamar Wilson, from The Bronx, is from New York state.

Though it's difficult to find non-varsity athletes from outside New York on SUNY campuses, Albany's basketball roster includes recruits from Ohio, California, Iowa, Missouri, Texas, Illinois and Washington. Clearly, they were drawn to Albany by the climate

The following appeared in Friday's NY Post, written by Phil Mushnick:

Your Tax Dollars At Work: Our favorite stat from the NCAA tournament was provided by the State University of New York at Albany, a qualifier as the America East Conference champ. Among SUNY-Albany's 13 roster players, one, Jamar Wilson, from The Bronx, is from New York state.

Though it's difficult to find non-varsity athletes from outside New York on SUNY campuses, Albany's basketball roster includes recruits from Ohio, California, Iowa, Missouri, Texas, Illinois and Washington. Clearly, they were drawn to Albany by the climate

Has he never read the rosters from other state's state universities? Since when did you need passports to play basketball across state lines. Are there non-athletes on scholarship in the SUNY system?

I guess this guy didn't know about our University desire to bring in students from other states, oh well sucks for him. And this is a waste of my tax dollars oh well :rolleyes:

And here I thought part of the reason for trying to develop top level programs of all types was to entice students from all over the country, thus making a name for ourselves. Oh, silly me!

Is there an email for this guy?

Why is it that New Yorkers feel that their state system should be an uncompetive university system with no name recognition. God forbid we ever get to the point where the state school is the school of choice like every other state. You would never hear such crap about Florida, Michigan, UCLA, Texas, UGA etc etc etc. SUNY has no choice but to recruit out of state because New Yorkers have been filled with the notion that if you don't go to some expensive private school then you won't get a good job. I'll tell you a UGA or Georgia Tech degree will get you further in Atlanta than a Harvard degree. SUNY is for all New Yorkers not just the poor or inept. I'm doing very well with my SUNY degrees, thank you very much!

I am completely confused by this guy's article and/or quoted statistic. UAlbany has a specified number of scholarships for its basketball team. Why should these go to New York State residents only? Isn't it a possibility that any kind of explicit policy or practice of limiting the number of scholarships to out-of-state athletes would run afoul of constitutional and pertinent state and/or federal statutory provisions? Setting aside legal issues for a moment, don't we benefit greatly from getting out-of-state students to come to our SUNY schools? Does the residence of an athlete matter at all? Are scholarships "reserved" or "set aside" for, or should they be set aside for, in-state residents? Aren't there series issues implicated in such a policy, were one to exist?

IMHO, I am taking issue with this "New York Post" article, so I would use the term "journalism" very loosely. Moreover, we all know how much NYC looks down upon UAlbany. Maybe someday, New York City will again have a team that can again make it to the NCAA Tournament.

I assume his point is that NY "tax dollars" are being used to provide free educations for out-of-state residents, rather than in-staters; ignoring that the money for scholarships is raised by the athletic department and is not provided by the University system or the State of New York, and ignoring whether the best available, qualified players are New Yorkers or not.

Guys, who cares what Phil Mushnick thinks. I have been reading the post since I first read the sports section of the Post to my mom as a young child (good way to practice the ABC's).

Phil Mushnick's SOLE JOB is to find fault. He does it everyday, usually it is directed towards the media (e.g. he loved to rail on Brent Mussberger, along with a variety of other TV personas).

He knows little about the nuts and bolts of sports, rather he is DEEPLY INVOLVED on the backend reporting aspects of the sports world.

Pay little attention to his article...most people do.

Archived