UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Found this in the NYPost...."Knicks/Nets will work out University of Albany guard Jamar Wilson today in New Jersey. Wilson led the Great Danes to two straight NCAA tournaments. Wilson is not expected to be drafted but is a Knicks summer-league candidate. . . . Stefanski quipped about his seat provided by the Knicks: "I had an obstructed view. I had a pole in front of me." - NYPost

• 4 weeks later...

Jamar Wilson still looking for NBA opportunity

June 29, 2007 at 1:35 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

As you probably know by now, UAlbany guard Jamar Wilson wasn't selected in the NBA draft Thursday night, which didn't come as a shocker.

His agent, Michael Whitaker, said this afternoon he was still trying to get Wilson a tryout for an NBA summer-league team. Whitaker said he had been turned down by 24 NBA teams and was still awaiting word from the other six.

Whitaker also represents UMass forward Rashaun Freeman of Schenectady, who was undrafted. Freeman will head to Memphis on Monday for a three-day mini-camp tryout for the Grizzlies' entry in the Las Vegas Summer League. The Grizzlies are bringing in 17 hopefuls who are vying for a dozen spots.

its bull cuz i know jamar was better then a lot of those euro's that were selected. freakin bull

Only time will tell with the Europeans. Remember, guys like Manu Ginobili, Mehmet Okur can be found in the 2nd round, and since teams can hold onto their rights while they still play in Europe, it isn't a bad investment for teams.

Also, when the Europeans are 6-9 shooting guards they have more "upside" than someone like Jamar, who is a 6ft shooting guard. Thats just how it goes, even if the Euro guy might be unproven (sucks, but not a lot that can be done)

I can understand the anguish. In 2005, when Coppenrath wasn't selected it was a bummer, especially when the Celtics had the 53rd pick or so, but promised Orien Greene, who turned out to being a guy that didn't amount to much. On top of that, the C's signed Brian Scalabrine, who basically was comparable to Coppenrath for 3million a year when they could have someone like Coppenrath for league minimum and play as much as Scalabrine does (which isn't much). Unfortunately, injuries have closed Coppenrath's window to making it to the NBA, but we'll see what this summer and next year brings.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Jamar will find his niche somewhere in Europe and hopefully have a good time doing it and getting paid well. Not many people can say they get paid 6-figures or more for 5-6 months of playing basketball in the world. Maybe he'll make it to the League, maybe he won't. I saw Taylor play pick up ball with the current UVM guys last week. Him playing (and dominating) reminded me how much of a joy it was to watch him play at UVM for those 4 seasons. I feel I'm pretty fortunate to have seen him play, regardless if he doesn't make the NBA. I think you guys should feel that way about Jamar as well and realize that you got to see such a special player (I think you guys all know this anyway).

Have a nice holiday.

Yes, in spare moments I still have flashbacks to some of the incredible shots that Jamar made. That's not to say we won't have great players in the future (possibly one of the newbies coming in this fall), but it will be a long time before we see anyone with Jamar's creativity. Those of us who have watched him over the past 5 years will always regard him as the standard against whom we will measure all others aspiring to be great players at UAlbany.

Yes, in spare moments I still have flashbacks to some of the incredible shots that Jamar made. That's not to say we won't have great players in the future (possibly one of the newbies coming in this fall), but it will be a long time before we see anyone with Jamar's creativity. Those of us who have watched him over the past 5 years will always regard him as the standard against whom we will measure all others aspiring to be great players at UAlbany.

Not only did Jamar's tenure at UAlbany provide a standard of excellence on the court --- but off the court as well. A class act through and through!

Archived