UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Project 2010

UAalum72

pdf view

Not very sharp graphics, and no description of phases five (the recreation facility between Dutch Quad and the gym) and six (Dutch parking and apparently some development of the entire Indian Lake area), but at least there's something out there, and confirms the football stadium is next.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good to see something public regarding the Master Plan.

It is slightly disappointing that the seating for the lacrosse and field hockey fields could not be completed as planned. Hopefully there will be some updates on the status of the contigency plan for this seating.

It's good to see something public regarding the Master Plan.

It is slightly disappointing that the seating for the lacrosse and field hockey fields could not be completed as planned. Hopefully there will be some updates on the status of the contigency plan for this seating.

"Phase 1 is still underway and plans are currently in place to finish the fields with permanent grandstands and amenities."

I read the above-quoted language as the plan for the seating is still ongoing, no?

I like the sound of renovations to SEFCU Arena; I wonder what they have in mind!

"Phase 2 calls for the construction of a Multi-purpose stadium. The stadium, which will host campus and community events, concerts and the UAlbany Division I-AA Football program, will seat 10,000 fans. In addition to the multi-purpose stadium, Phase 2 will see renovations to the SEFCU Arena."

"Phase 1 is still underway and plans are currently in place to finish the fields with permanent grandstands and amenities."

I read the above-quoted language as the plan for the seating is still ongoing, no?

I like the sound of renovations to SEFCU Arena; I wonder what they have in mind!

"Phase 2 calls for the construction of a Multi-purpose stadium. The stadium, which will host campus and community events, concerts and the UAlbany Division I-AA Football program, will seat 10,000 fans. In addition to the multi-purpose stadium, Phase 2 will see renovations to the SEFCU Arena."

According to a pretty reliable source, the original plans for the stands were to include A-frame seating with the bathrooms and concession underneath the seats. When it came time to build, the lake created an environmentally sensitive area such that the A-frame plans were scrapped, and the university was left with tempoarary bleacher in the interim, and diminished plans in the end.

If this is true, (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), it shows how indefinite the plans can be.

According to a pretty reliable source, the original plans for the stands were to include A-frame seating with the bathrooms and concession underneath the seats. When it came time to build, the lake created an environmentally sensitive area such that the A-frame plans were scrapped, and the university was left with tempoarary bleacher in the interim, and diminished plans in the end.

If this is true, (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), it shows how indefinite the plans can be.

Ummm...not saying your sources are wrong, but I find this really hard to believe. If that were the case, the RACC, the STADIUM, etc....would/could not be built where they are. Seems a bit off, or an excuse to me.

Especially since I'm pretty sure it's a man-made lake anyway. Maybe it causes drainage problems, but once the fields were built I don't see what difference a few bleachers would make. I doubt they were planning on using the lake for dumping septic waste.

Since there isn't much new here that couldn't have been said a year ago, I wonder if publicizing the plan means they've made a final decision to build the stadium as recommended, instead of someplace else dictated by drainage or political demands.

Since there isn't much new here that couldn't have been said a year ago, I wonder if publicizing the plan means they've made a final decision to build the stadium as recommended, instead of someplace else dictated by drainage or political demands.

I think that's a pretty safe bet to make. Especially considering that this is the first statement with a definitive stadium capacity. The only thing that could be though is the website managers were really slow putting the PDF up. I'm sure we'll have solid info after the alumni event in July.

The original master plan released and this one look exactly the same to me. Anyone else notice any differences? The PDF linked above was created yesterday so the statement about capacity must be relatively new.

This is the original one:

U%20of%20Albany%20008.jpg

That looks identical to the page 1 cover, but the pdf detail on page 3 doesn't show the football south end zone bleachers, or the outline of what could be a future second deck on the visitors' (east) side. Also new to me is the layout of the phases on page two, especially the building in phase 5 and the Dutch parking and Indian Lake targeted by phase six.

Ummm...not saying your sources are wrong, but I find this really hard to believe. If that were the case, the RACC, the STADIUM, etc....would/could not be built where they are. Seems a bit off, or an excuse to me.

I would love if the final placement of the stands looked exactly like the PDF that is now being circulated, but I will not be surprised if a change has been effected, and if it occurred because of the lake. When construction is complete, it will eliminate any specualtion.

pdf view

Not very sharp graphics, and no description of phases five (the recreation facility between Dutch Quad and the gym) and six (Dutch parking and apparently some development of the entire Indian Lake area), but at least there's something out there, and confirms the football stadium is next.

It doesn't look like anything is too definitive yet. Just when we were all saying how the plans seem to be solid, this article seems to shake that fact. The stadium may yet by 15k, which would be great. Bad news is they may not break ground until '08?

http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stori.../18/daily2.html

Seawolf 97 said the following on AGS:

"From the outside looking in Stonybrook will be a full scholarship program in 2008 playing in the Big South Conference. Unofficially they will play Rutgers in 2010 and the University of South Florida in 2011 as a counter team- this has yet to be announced. I think football is here to stay at Stonybrook for quite sometime.

Campus wise there are nearly 22,000 students enrolled. They have four campus'es the main one at Stonybrook NY, a College of Marine Science just opening in September 2007 at Southhampton NY, a commuter campus in Manhattan for the working folks and the Brookhaven Nuclear Labs at Brookhaven NY. Add to that the Medical School and the University Hospital -I think any incoming freshman has alot to chose from."

Could SB be playing Rutgers in the near future or is this guy high?

1. I can believe Stony Brook will play Rutgers. 63 scholarships is a lot of money - that game will fund a lot of those scholarships with minimal travel expenses. FBS schools are playing FCS schools all the time now - Stony Brook is going full scholarship so I can certainly see this happening.

2. At this point, I would like to see the University make a definitive announcement about facilities with a timeframe, groundbreaking date... I have e-mails from 2004 (and there were Albany Business Review articles in that timeframe as well) talking about how this was in the works. No more talk about environmental studies, number of seats for a stadium...just give me a date with a plan.

3. I think Binghamton is building a new soccer / lacrosse stadium that will be ready by the fall. Will their facility have a press box and stands before the Fallon Field facilities? How much can that possibly cost?

What are the chances of us going "full scholarship" in the near future? Hate to lag behind a rival. :(

If we have brains, we should have done it already. It saddens me we didn't come with with Stony Brook to the Big South and up the scholarships, choosing to rot away in the NEC instead.

We have to get moving and we have to do it NOW!!

Archived