UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UB Growth and Dominance

ATL_DANE

More evidence that UB has very serious plans to grow large and grow fast. These numbers would clearly make Buffalo the dominent campus. Due to sensitivity on the issue I won't say the 'f' word. Let's just say they'll be closer to Penn State than New Paltz.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/136074.html

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More evidence that UB has very serious plans to grow large and grow fast. These numbers would clearly make Buffalo the dominent campus. Due to sensitivity on the issue I won't say the 'f' word. Let's just say they'll be closer to Penn State than New Paltz.

Ok...I am tired of UB envy.

1) UB now sees the rise of the other state universities and is trying to get ahead. Great for them

2) The rise of Albany is a challenge for UB because we are in the state capital backyard. Would be tough for the legislature to turn their back to the backyard.

3) Innovative tech and vc place- Albany has surpassed them in this category--- See CESTM, Nanotech, and GenYSis.

4) Expand by 10k? All state schools, by virtue of the cost of private schools (45-60k per year these days) are growing and more competitative. Albany expects to grow from 12k when I went...to the current 17k...to a future size of 24k by 2015. That was in a report a few years back. Yes, UB is still larger...but it means nothing. In fact, it would force the school to spend less per student.

5) This is simply a ploy that all schools are going to do (the four centers). No real news here.

Buffalo is Buffalo...Albany is Albany...and unless you truly understand the system....no need for us to worry about Buffalo. As for football...I would not be suprised to see them drop in the next 5 years if an immediate turn around is not made. They need a about 10mm more to be successful in football...and the money just isn't coming from the state.

IF...and ONLY IF, the Bills get sold as some suggest, then Buffalo would be the regions sports team.

BTW, it is only dominance if the public perceives it as such. I find it hard to believe that downstater's, the dominant population center of our state, considers Buffalo to be the flagship.

Until the state announces "X is our flagship school" it does not matter.

The state...most likely will not do that.

Can we drop this subject already...unless people are going to lobby the state...this is a moot point...killed years ago by the legislature and UB themselves (the Golisano deal). Rehashing it is like listening to your mother-in-law telling the same story over...and over.

I know how to get your goat Dane96 :rolleyes: Every school needs a little rivalry. I'm just gettin' us going. Looks like it's working all too well.

Go Danes!

I know how to get your goat Dane96 :rolleyes: Every school needs a little rivalry. I'm just gettin' us going. Looks like it's working all too well.

Go Danes!

You aren't getting my goat...it is just a moot point and a waste of a post. Until the state says to the four schools (which they will if they decide to go that route) make your point as why you should be the flagship, rehashing this issue (and mind you...it is only you who brings it up) is silly.

We all know you want to be like UGA. Well...stop wasting time here and make phone calls the school...or to the Senate.

I will leave you with this: WE ALL AGREE WITH YOU...BUT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO GET US THERE. I HAVE/STILL AM DOING MY PART (lobbied the last two governor's via letter and the SUNY Central...while also sitting in on the higher education committee meetings as a worker for a State Assemblyman).

Do something to make it happen for us. Speaking to this board is preaching to the choir.

Ok...I am tired of UB envy.

Outside of the fact that they're FBS while we're in flux regarding a stadium we need badly (and Wegmans, jetBlue, Mighty Taco, and access to Canada), is there anything to envy about UB...or Buffalo in general? Does any sport at Buffalo generate the excitement that basketball has done at Albany in the last couple years?

2) The rise of Albany is a challenge for UB because we are in the state capital backyard. Would be tough for the legislature to turn their back to the backyard.
I would usually agree, but given the jokers downtown there seems to be a "Screw Albany" mentality that pervades downstate and WNY from what I've seen and my travels. Also consider that outside of Bruno (who , IIRC, hasn't really come to bat for UA), there isn't much from upstate politicians for there to give support especially since the biggest bigwigs (Spitzer, Silver) come from NYC: hub of college sports apathy.

IF...and ONLY IF, the Bills get sold as some suggest, then Buffalo would be the regions sports team.
If the LA Bills ever came into being, it would mean only more attention for the Sabres. Football wise, I would NOT be shocked if as we speak there are ads on NFTA buses declaring Syracuse "New York's College Team"

Until the state announces "X is our flagship school" it does not matter.

The state...most likely will not do that.

Just out of curiosity, why has the state been reluctant to name a flagship? It's shameful that we don't.

I hope they don't name a flagship any time soon. I'm of the opinion that we are on the outside looking in and that UB has the inside track. Now, if we continue our current rate of development as a university and some of the initiatives beings suggested pan out (Semitech, football stadium etc.) then in a few years we'll be in a much stronger position to be named the flagship campus. This is simply my opinion, I'm fully aware that I don't have any facts to back up my assertion that UA isn't in the lead for the said honor. It's just my perception as I see things around the state right now.

I hope they don't name a flagship any time soon. I'm of the opinion that we are on the outside looking in and that UB has the inside track. Now, if we continue our current rate of development as a university and some of the initiatives beings suggested pan out (Semitech, football stadium etc.) then in a few years we'll be in a much stronger position to be named the flagship campus. This is simply my opinion, I'm fully aware that I don't have any facts to back up my assertion that UA isn't in the lead for the said honor. It's just my perception as I see things around the state right now.

FWIW, I have a friend in a relatively high position in the state legislature and he said any changes to the SUNY system is a long way away, longer than Spitzer's first term for sure. Take it for what it's worth, but considering the political implications, I doubt any decision regarding a flagship will be made anytime soon. IMO, the state could probably do a service by awarding two flagships- Buffalo for the size and breadth of programs, and Albany for the location in the capital and Nanotech reputation. Kind of like how North Carlina has UNC and NCSU. Bing and SBU can be like the equivalent of UNC Wilmington and UNC Greensboro.

FWIW, I have a friend in a relatively high position in the state legislature and he said any changes to the SUNY system is a long way away, longer than Spitzer's first term for sure. Take it for what it's worth, but considering the political implications, I doubt any decision regarding a flagship will be made anytime soon. IMO, the state could probably do a service by awarding two flagships- Buffalo for the size and breadth of programs, and Albany for the location in the capital and Nanotech reputation. Kind of like how North Carlina has UNC and NCSU. Bing and SBU can be like the equivalent of UNC Wilmington and UNC Greensboro.

Pretty much on par from what I heard.

Bing, as academically talented as the school is, is set back from the conversation because of the lack of focus on overall research. The only bone to pick would be SBU...but they dont have as much power as UB and Albany.

I hope they don't name a flagship any time soon. I'm of the opinion that we are on the outside looking in and that UB has the inside track. Now, if we continue our current rate of development as a university and some of the initiatives beings suggested pan out (Semitech, football stadium etc.) then in a few years we'll be in a much stronger position to be named the flagship campus.

However, how much of this can realistically be done when the University will go nearly two years without permanent head leadership and some capital projects (not just the stadium, but making the dorms more livable and overhauling some of the classrooms/LC rooms) are bogged down in part of that?

This is simply my opinion, I'm fully aware that I don't have any facts to back up my assertion that UA isn't in the lead for the said honor. It's just my perception as I see things around the state right now.

If UA has any advantage in being a flagship, it's geographic location. Make UB the flagship and you'll have a flagship that is closer to Toledo than it is to Times Square. Make SBU the flagship and it's closer to Salisbury than Syracuse (not to mention the percentage of regionals of the student body is higher than the other university centers). Binghamton partially has the location thing down, but the surrounding areas and the lack of football might do them in.

I hope they don't name a flagship any time soon. I'm of the opinion that we are on the outside looking in and that UB has the inside track. Now, if we continue our current rate of development as a university and some of the initiatives beings suggested pan out (Semitech, football stadium etc.) then in a few years we'll be in a much stronger position to be named the flagship campus.

However, how much of this can realistically be done when the University will go nearly two years without permanent head leadership and some capital projects (not just the stadium, but making the dorms more livable and overhauling some of the classrooms/LC rooms) are bogged down in part of that?

This is simply my opinion, I'm fully aware that I don't have any facts to back up my assertion that UA isn't in the lead for the said honor. It's just my perception as I see things around the state right now.
If UA has any advantage in being a flagship, it's geographic location. Make UB the flagship and you'll have a flagship that is closer to Toledo than it is to Times Square. Make SBU the flagship and it's closer to Salisbury than Syracuse (not to mention the percentage of regionals of the student body is higher than the other university centers). Binghamton partially has the location thing down, but the surrounding areas and the lack of football might do them in.

All good points...but forget football. Binghamton lacks a major focus on research. Every, and I do mean EVERY, state flagship (even top two) are research focused.

Bing does research...but nowhere on the scale of UB, SBU, and UA.

All good points...but forget football. Binghamton lacks a major focus on research. Every, and I do mean EVERY, state flagship (even top two) are research focused.

Bing does research...but nowhere on the scale of UB, SBU, and UA.

Dane96, very very good point about flagship schools (and the schools you referenced) and their focus on research!

Due primarily to the rapid expansion of the nano tech programs, Albany has passed both Buffalo and Stony Brook in direct research expenditures.

154 million for UA

149 million for SBU and

102 million for UB

BU is much smaller at 24 million. Albany was perennially 3rd until now.

Due primarily to the rapid expansion of the nano tech programs, Albany has passed both Buffalo and Stony Brook in direct research expenditures.

154 million for UA

149 million for SBU and

102 million for UB

The exact reason I was telling our friend in ATL..that the article is bunk.

154 million for UA

149 million for SBU and

102 million for UB

woot!

Maybe we should rename the thread 'UA Growth and Dominance'.

Archived