UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Herbst leaving for Georgia

GODANESGO

Not a surprise at all that Herbst left. As happens regularly when a leader (Hall) departs, the 'upper management' tends to do so as well.

It'll be interesting to see who is named OIC/Interim/Acting now.

Let's not forget that the dynamics aren't really there right now for a swift selection process. The Gov. is only 9 months into a new term with a new party in the Exec. Branch, the SUNY Chancellor (the person who recommends a nominee to the SUNY BOT) is Interim, and even the SUNY BOT (who has to approve the Chancellor's nominee) is in flex as Bruno and the Senate Republicans hold up Spitzer's 3 new appointments (including the new Chair) to the BOT.

It's frustrating, obviously, but the process isn't abnormal and certainly not unexpected given the current environment.

From past experience senior university leadership more usually departs AFTER the successor arrives as part of an insitutional transition.

Perhaps this time there'll be an "interim" president appointed, i.e. someone who is not seeking the job on a full time basis. If other reports have any credibility we could be a year or so away from having a the next president arrive. As was seen with Ryan a skillful interim CAN move the institution ahead, perhaps more effectively than an OIC. The interim has a clear limitation on tenure, while an internal OIC has a much more nebulous status.

Right now UA, and SUNY, seem adrift in the NYS politcal process. Without key leadership major UA initiatives such as new School of Business building and the football stadium have a hard time generating momentum.

I'd disagree that the process isn't abnormal; a two-year gap in selecting leadership costs the institution in a variety of ways, among its SUNY peers and in the community at large.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'll be interesting to see who is named OIC/Interim/Acting now. My money would be on the VP for Student Success (Affairs) James Anderson who is a Hall understudy from NC State. But that may be tough because I'd assume he has hopes for the permamenet spot and it'd be odd to give him the temporary spot and not the permanent spot.

I think that for ANY OIC/Interim/Acting there should be SOME reassurance that they would be a primary candidate. In all honesty, I think it might be a good time to have a president of one of the SUNY colleges serve as an interim just to fill the spot because our options are low.

Let's not forget that the dynamics aren't really there right now for a swift selection process. The Gov. is only 9 months into a new term with a new party in the Exec. Branch, the SUNY Chancellor (the person who recommends a nominee to the SUNY BOT) is Interim, and even the SUNY BOT (who has to approve the Chancellor's nominee) is in flex as Bruno and the Senate Republicans hold up Spitzer's 3 new appointments (including the new Chair) to the BOT.
Before I go on, I'm amazed that nobody in this area has decided to bash Bruno. He (and Silver) are PRECISELY the reasons why this state is in the state it is in and it does not help that they sit on the board of a private college. Spitzer should override Bruno at any cost for the betterment of the state. On that note,w hy do I think that Spitzer is doomed given all that has happened so far? Why do I think SUNY as a system is doomed with everyone in key parts of power in interim positions? Why do I think this state may even be doomed and is ripe for the picking? At the rate things of going, will there even be a New York?

I'd rather be very patient and get someone good then hire someone who isn't really the right fit... I hope we're calm enough to spend the time needed to search for that right person.

The problem is what price for a search for the "right person". If this search drags past 2008 into 2009 (worst case sceneiro), how is that for the best of UA? The development of the school is already in flux with so many SUNY people leaving and Spitzer not getting his way and that everything is at a standstill. Schools need leadership to grow and a period of 2-3 years of what amounts to austerity might take much longer to recover from. Makes me wish even more that Kermit could have been saved because his death left such a hole that nobody wants to fill.

If you live in Rensselaer County, please don't vote Bruno in '08: for the sake of SUNY and UA.

Oh boy..now you're on a 3 year kick??? And you're suggesting NYS might soon cease to exist? What exactly was the last state to go 'out of business?' You're certainly nothing if not entertaining.

You seem to be pretty happy to point out (though most are "what if's" and pure hypotheticals) any fault and potential negative, so I would wonder what you suggest UAlbany (or even SUNY for that matter) should do in order to magically find the right President and as quick as you think they should be nominated, hired, and put in place? Some real suggestions would do fun to see from you instead of your regular complaining.

Can I ask the question I think most of us are pondering? Can a stadium be finalized with a temporary university president? I'd like to know the answer both in theoretical terms as well practical terms. Is '08 still feasible?

Can I ask the question I think most of us are pondering? Can a stadium be finalized with a temporary university president? I'd like to know the answer both in theoretical terms as well practical terms. Is '08 still feasible?

I don't think so. But not even a permanent president can do it alone. He/She would need The SUNY Board of Regents to sign off I think.

Oh boy..now you're on a 3 year kick??? And you're suggesting NYS might soon cease to exist? What exactly was the last state to go 'out of business?' You're certainly nothing if not entertaining.

You seem to be pretty happy to point out (though most are "what if's" and pure hypotheticals) any fault and potential negative, so I would wonder what you suggest UAlbany (or even SUNY for that matter) should do in order to magically find the right President and as quick as you think they should be nominated, hired, and put in place? Some real suggestions would do fun to see from you instead of your regular complaining.

John Simpson from Buffalo. He has a good track record, is a SUNY veteran, and it would be good to see Buffalo be the one to suffer for once.

Kermit Hall's death has set UAlbany back several years, and that is very sad.

I don't think so. But not even a permanent president can do it alone. He/She would need The SUNY Board of Regents to sign off I think.

Not entirely accurate. The only direct side of their approval/disapproval is if SUNY system includes a stadium as an iten (or within the general capital projects funds) in their annual budget. The BOT has the final approval on what budget SUNY submits to the Governor's office.

And it's the Board of Trustees that directly oversees SUNY. The Board of Regents oversees the entire NYS education system and while they've got a large amount of authority, wouldn't be very involved, if at all, with a building on an individual SUNY campus.

And a building (and specifically of the sports variety) can be put up with a temp leader in place. The new lacrosse and field hockey fields were approved and initialized when ADM Ryan was Interim President here.

And PS scrabble - Like I said, real suggestions. Simpson would never agree to leave UB to fill an interim/acting spot here. And him managing both campuses (ala Ryan with UAlbany and Maritime) would be completely infeasible.

Just got this email re: the Presidential Search..

To: The University at Albany Community

On behalf of the University Council, I welcome you to the 2007-08

academic year.

Of special significance and interest to us this academic year is the

search for UAlbany's 18th president. My primary purpose in writing is to

apprise you of the search's progress. The Presidential Search Committee

is currently reviewing the curricula vitae of nominees and applicants.

Confidential initial interviews will begin in October and a short list

of finalists will be selected from these initial interviews.

The timing and process is designed to generate a pool of finalists

composed of intellectually substantial, professionally accomplished, and

well-positioned leaders. I will keep you informed of all major

developments as the search progresses.

Best wishes,

George M. Philip

Chair, University Council

Chair, Presidential Search Committee

• 3 weeks later...
Just noticed this "Inside Higher Ed" article written by Herbst that was 'published' today... http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2007/10/02/herbst

Also, expect the announcement of our Interim President very soon. A name most of us are familiar with and anyone reading this board has seen.

Is this a name we're going want to hear?

Archived