UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I saw this story this morning and I was wondering... how many non-alumns come to UAlbany games? I don't expect anything on this scale but it does make me think. What are we doing to attract local sports fans new to the area? Tech Valley is supposedly attracting young professionals. We only need a fraction of a percent of the population to come for a sell out.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/g...hfoot_1002.html

I saw this story this morning and I was wondering... how many non-alumns come to UAlbany games? I don't expect anything on this scale but it does make me think. What are we doing to attract local sports fans new to the area? Tech Valley is supposedly attracting young professionals. We only need a fraction of a percent of the population to come for a sell out.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/g...hfoot_1002.html

Simple answer...build a stadium. :blink:

I think we are doing well attracting basketball fans and we have made some incremental improvements in the area of concessions at SEFCU, although I feel we could do better. For football, danefan is correct, we need the staium and we still do a pretty dreadful job with concessions at football games. You would think with our dreadful facilities we could at least make it more palatable by going the extra mile by making concessions a better experience.

After the stadium is built, we can begin to do some marketing as in the article. For the football fan, the game may be enough, for the casual fan, we need and event and experience which they deem worthwhile.

Regarding improvements to the SEFCU Arena, and, specifically, concessions, I wish there was pizza sold at the SEFCU during games. Even if it meant buying a bunch of cheese pizzas from a local pizza shop and selling each slice for $2-$3/slice. Seems like a good way to make some $ and to feed our hungry fans. :ph34r:

I do enjoy the bbq chicken sandwiches, but some pizza would really hit the spot. I'm looking forward to traveling to Hartford again this year for our away game vs. the Hawks. Students/workers at that game were handing out free pizza. The Hawks played us tough that night, and they distributed free slices: Gotta resepct that. :huh:

Here's one atmosphere-builder - received this from the NEC thru Cara White:

The NEC conference passed along your message to me regarding use of the cowbell at our home football games. Our game management staff was under the impression a cowbell qualified as an artificial noisemaker (which are prohibited under conference policy). After receiving clarification from the conference, you will be happy to know that a cowbell does not qualify as an artificial noisemaker and may be used during our football games.

That's what we need - more cowbell!

Here's one atmosphere-builder - received this from the NEC thru Cara White:

The NEC conference passed along your message to me regarding use of the cowbell at our home football games. Our game management staff was under the impression a cowbell qualified as an artificial noisemaker (which are prohibited under conference policy). After receiving clarification from the conference, you will be happy to know that a cowbell does not qualify as an artificial noisemaker and may be used during our football games.

That's what we need - more cowbell!

Nice job. Just make sure you bring a copy of the e-mail to show to the event staff......

• 2 weeks later...

The athletic department needs to some advertising in the local media... specifically television commercials, for all of our competitive sports teams.

I see ads for SIENA basketball often on time warner cable.

Maybe some billboards stating America East championships won last year, the #4 ranking of the lacrosse team, etc.....

Also, television coverage of UAlbany sports needs to dramatically increase. It would be nice to have a UAlbany channel on TWC.

Anyone have an insight on the seating capacity. Last year, I was told it would be a 15,000 permanent seat stadium. Now, it seems as though it could be anywhere from 10,000 - 15,000. I would prefer a 25,000 seat stadium myself, and wonder why we are shooting low.

Anyone have an insight on the seating capacity. Last year, I was told it would be a 15,000 permanent seat stadium. Now, it seems as though it could be anywhere from 10,000 - 15,000. I would prefer a 25,000 seat stadium myself, and wonder why we are shooting low.

Multiple phases planned. What I heard was the lower deck is about 10,000, plus 4,000 in the home upper deck. Later they can add another 4,000 in a visitors' upper deck, plus end zone bleachers or lawn seating for a total capacity of about 22-24,000. I'm sure they'll want to prove they can draw 10-12K before building out to 18K capacity or more.

Archived