UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Edwin Ubiles Suspended from LCC

From the Times Useless:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...date=10/19/2007

Sophomore forward Edwin Ubiles has been suspended indefinitely for`academic reasons.''

With or without Ubiles, UAlbany is going to chop down Siena this year.

Given the relative parity between the programs, and more importantly, the rivalry between the teams (or, perhaps, more so between the fans), I think it's fair to assume that it's going to be a close game again.

This is a tough break for Siena. Not that we should be shedding any tears but I hope we show some class and refrain from pilling on. It didn't feel great when they kept falling all over themselves to slam us over the transfers last year, so I'll refrain from jumping on the slam Siena band wagon. I've learned that these things happen no matter who you are and there is a chance it might happen to us at some point in the future. I for one, understand they must be very disappointed and hopefully they still have a strong season, but our chances of beating them just improved. Make no bones about it, this is a huge loss for them.

This is a tough break for Siena. Not that we should be shedding any tears but I hope we show some class and refrain from pilling on. It didn't feel great when they kept falling all over themselves to slam us over the transfers last year, so I'll refrain from jumping on the slam Siena band wagon. I've learned that these things happen no matter who you are and there is a chance it might happen to us at some point in the future. I for one, understand they must be very disappointed and hopefully they still have a strong season, but our chances of beating them just improved. Make no bones about it, this is a huge loss for them.

Excellent gesture/post Boisy --- I agree.

Bosiydid

I was never going to root for them to have a strong season to begin with.

Nor I do I see any reason to "take it easy on the most obnoxious fan base in the northeast" and I think there is a big difference between spreading rumors like some of their fans like to do and making a legitimate comment here like some people here already have.

Frankly it would be nice to beat them this season as any good team wants to win their home games and play .500 on the road, but it would be even better to have a better season than them for the 4th year in a row. I easily forgot December losses to anyone when I am worrying about making travel plans in March to the NCAA's while they are sitting home griping about other teams seeds!

Bosiydid

I was never going to root for them to have a strong season to begin with.

Nor I do I see any reason to "take it easy on the most obnoxious fan base in the northeast" and I think there is a big difference between spreading rumors like some of their fans like to do and making a legitimate comment here like some people here already have.

Frankly it would be nice to beat them this season as any good team wants to win their home games and play .500 on the road, but it would be even better to have a better season than them for the 4th year in a row. I easily forgot December losses to anyone when I am worrying about making travel plans in March to the NCAA's while they are sitting home griping about other teams seeds!

bob,

You are well within your right to take their fans to task, but in doing so keep in mind that you talking about a young man who undoubtedly is going through a rough patch. No doubt, of his own doing but still! I'm of the opinion that it benefits us to have two strong teams in the capital region, you might disagree, I don't know. No doubt a number of their fans, Tony, mr.siena (the old codger) as well as others were falling over themselves in slamming our school, coaches and student athletes. Thread...after thread....after thread, I simply chose not to retaliate in kind, knowing that this could potentially happen to us, then we'll be wearing the egg on our face as they are now. I think we are more classy then some of them.

Again, you are within your right to act as you please.

Peace

Just for the record, I do hope that Siena goes 0-28 or whatever this season. :D

I think strong, for example, LAX teams helps this area, but I'm not willing to say (yet) that two strong basketball teams helps this area. I'm definitely okay with LCC finishing last in the MAAC, simply because of, as Bob87 rightly put it, their obnoxious fan base.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I hate seeing a kid drop out of college or not make the grade. While it's his own responsibility of course, I wish him the best (just not their basketball team's record or the happiness of their fan base).

[quote name='bob87' post='26663' date='Oct 19 2007,

bob,

You are well within your right to take their fans to task, but in doing so keep in mind that you talking about a young man who undoubtedly is going through a rough patch. No doubt, of his own doing but still! I'm of the opinion that it benefits us to have two strong teams in the capital region, you might disagree, I don't know. No doubt a number of their fans, Tony, mr.siena (the old codger) as well as others were falling over themselves in slamming our school, coaches and student athletes. Thread...after thread....after thread, I simply chose not to retaliate in kind, knowing that this could potentially happen to us, then we'll be wearing the egg on our face as they are now. I think we are more classy then some of them.

Peace

Bosiydid

I have said nothing against Ubiles. I am not rooting against him per se. Nor does it bother me that he is academically suspended. It is his responsibility to pass his classes. I root against Siena primarily because of the obnoxious fan base that said all their crap about Albany would never be the d1 team Siena was starting at least in 99 when we went d1.

As far as 2 strong teams in the capital district, that is not my concern. I would rather have 1 strong team in the Capital district and 9 strong teams in the AE than 2 strong teams in the Capital district and fewer strong teams in the AE.

BTW, I don't think I have to tell you about the Siena double standard as MTS is already whining about our board when no one here has said anything bad about Ubiles.

Just for the record, I do hope that Siena goes 0-28 or whatever this season. :D

I think strong, for example, LAX teams helps this area, but I'm not willing to say (yet) that two strong basketball teams helps this area. I'm definitely okay with LCC finishing last in the MAAC, simply because of, as Bob87 rightly put it, their obnoxious fan base.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I hate seeing a kid drop out of college or not make the grade. While it's his own responsibility of course, I wish him the best (just not their basketball team's record or the happiness of their fan base).

UA MA 2000

We don't have 2 strong lacrosse teams in this area, but we had a strong enough AE to get UA a home game and UMBC an at large selection. That is why league play is more important to me. Obviously basketball has a long way to go to get an 8 seed or an at large , but any improvement to the league helps us more when we win the ae than any improvement with Siena does.

[quote name='bob87' post='26663' date='Oct 19 2007,

bob,

Peace

Bosiydid

I have said nothing against Ubiles. I am not rooting against him per se. Nor does it bother me that he is academically suspended. I root against Siena primarily because of the obnoxious fan base that said all their crap about Albany would never be the d1 team Siena was starting at least in 99 when we went d1.

As far as 2 strong teams in the capital district, that is not my concern. I would rather have 1 strong team in the Capital district and 9 strong teams in the AE than 2 strong teams in the Capital district and fewer strong teams in the AE.

BTW, I don't think I have to tell you about the Siena double standard as MTS is already whining about our board when no one here has said anything bad about Ubiles.

Regarding the whining of MTS, I totally agree hence my suggesting that he work on his reading comprehension skills. When he started crying there was absolutely nothing negative posted on our board. Furthermore, even all that has been posted doesn't even begin to approach the "fun" they all had with our recent transfers. I'm simply trying to be the bigger man and not stoop to their level, calling our coaches sieves for trying to win at all cost etc.. There is no question that their fan base is very very obnoxious and as I said previously is now left with egg on their face. I can't wait to see what KnickSaint has to say about this, he after all was the most vocal in slamming our school, coaches and players.

I might have been to cordial in wishing them good luck next season. I've said it before and say it again, I see the benefit of having two strong teams in the capital district but my focus is more on UA and AE then rooting for Siena. I'm actually neutral to their success, I don't wish good or bad on their team. As far as their fans.....(Tony - the penis envy comments, mr.siena the old codger, SaintsFan - the MAAC is the ACC of the north east, KnickSaint - Will Brown is running players out of town...enjoy the egg on your face KS) I have no pity for them. I hope that clarifies it a bit.

Guys don't blow this out of proportion. The kid is in on indefinite suspension. That means he's had some problems regarding attending class or getting classwork done. He is seemingly academically eligible by NCAA standards or the suspension wouldn't be indefinite.

I for one wish the best for Ubiles and I hope he straightens himself out academically and gets the job done.

I would always want to play an opponent at their full strength otherwise the game is meaningless win or lose. The purpose of out of conference games is to get ready for the conference so lets play all our opponents at their full strength.

To be honest I don't even think this is a topic we should broach - but that's just my stance.

The updated entry says the he's actually still eligible by NCAA standards. Not to spread any goodwill but I find the suspension somewhat commendable on McCafferty's part. I'm sure there are a lot of coaches who would let him play and not worry about the grades until forced to. Seems to me that he's trying to make a point and it isn't a bad one.

Guys don't blow this out of proportion. The kid is in on indefinite suspension. That means he's had some problems regarding attending class or getting classwork done. He is seemingly academically eligible by NCAA standards or the suspension wouldn't be indefinite.

I for one wish the best for Ubiles and I hope he straightens himself out academically and gets the job done.

I would always want to play an opponent at their full strength otherwise the game is meaningless win or lose. The purpose of out of conference games is to get ready for the conference so lets play all our opponents at their full strength.

To be honest I don't even think this is a topic we should broach - but that's just my stance.

I second everything Patch states about this issue. Ubiles could be back on the court to play us in December or even beforehand. The Siena coach was correct in trying to remedy this situation before it became more difficult for the player or for the team. I hope the kid gets his act together, in more ways than one.

Archived